What do You think of This Combo for A Steak Tip Marinade???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zepplin17

Washing Up
I just want to get people's feelings on what they think of this marinade before I try it out myself:

This for 2 LB's of Steak Tips:

12 oz Newcastle Brown Ale
1 Cup Jack Daniels Tennessee Hickory Mesquite Grilling Sauce
1/2 Cup of Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 Cup of Creamy Italian Salad Dressing
2 Tablespoons Each of:
Spicy Brown Mustard
Kraft BBQ Sauce
Ketchup
Soy Sauce
Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Each of:
Chili Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Salt
Salt
Pepper

Marinate overnight

So, what do you think of this way to marinade? Do you think it would come out tasty/good/whatever are you thoughts, I'd like to hear??

It sounds ..... busy.

I really can't even imagine what it would end up tasting like. I prefer simpler, clearer flavors, myself.

have to agree with jenny on this one, zepplin (bienvenue to the site, btw)

too many clashing flavors I think- and you would be duplicating the bbq flavor with the two sauces as well as the ketchup/mustard/soy/brown sugar thing.

altho the ale with the spicy mustard and the seasonings sounds pretty good....

let us know how you end up doing it

'WAY too much and too many things going on. And too much of it in amount for the amount of meat. I don't think it will taste like anything but vinegary stuff on some kind of meat with no good flavor coming through.
Marinades are to ENHANCE the flavor of the meat, not hide it. Just my opinion, which you did ask for.

Maybe try...

The soy sauce 1/4 cup or less
The Worchestershire 1/4 cup or less
and a teaspoon of garlic powder
black pepper
for a few hours...

This might give you a good starting point......

I appreciate all of your ideas and constructive criticism. I'm fairly new to trying out new recipes and putting my own twist to them, so I was sort of combing different recipes to see what could work. I really would like to use the Newcastle Brown Ale and the jack Daniels Sauce, what would you suggest as other ingredients using both of those. I'm thinking a touch of Worcstershire Sauce and then all the dry ingredients??? Let me know whatcha think. Again, thanks for all the feedback!!!!

If you're really set on using all of those ingredients, at least get rid of the Italian dressing and the Kraft BBQ sauce. The other flavors would at least be complimentary as they are found in many BBQ sauce recipes, and you don't want a pre-made BBQ sauce clashing with what is already a homemade BBQ sauce.

What are you going to marinate in it, Zepplin?

Have you heard it said that "less is more"? That's really true in most cases.

I would sprinkle the meat with the Jack Daniels and your dry seasonings, then give it a good massage. You might consider a packet of Italian dressing or onion soup mix for this purpose. If you use either, don't add additional salt. Then arrange the meat in a dish or put in ziplock bag and pour the ale over the top.

Just my two bits. ;)

Yo Zepplin..

Be assured that all comments are CONSTRUCTIVE in nature...:)

Letting your creative juices flow is a good and positive thing...It is what we all do at times...

Like I said before...start with a simple marinade....next time... based on your results.. add this or that...a little more of or a little less..you get the idea!
Experiment...make notes and develope a marinade that you personally enjoy...that's the bottom line!

Oh yes...The Ale and the J. Daniels Sauce.....Drink the Ale...Serve the sauce on the side....;)

Let us know what you did and your results!!!

This is the final product and how I did it:

12 OZ Newcastle Beer
2 Cups of Jack Daniels Tennessee Hickory Mesquite Grilling Sauce
1 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
1/3 Cup of Spicy Brown Mustard
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon each of Chilli Powder, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Dry Mustard

Add each of the ingredients to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for about 30 minutes until the ingredients mix and the sauce starts to thicken. Bring to a cool. Put 2 Lbs of Sirloin Steak Tips into a storage bag and add the marinade when it's cool. Refrigerate overnight and cook on the grill.

I had alot of people who were raving about them on Sunday. Thanks again for all of your imput. Hope to be able to use your help again sometime.

zepplin17....

As I read your post a couple of suggestions came to mind...but after reading your last comment..."a lot of people raved about them" Hey ..if your family/friends enjoyed them...then it's a winner!
Congradulations!

I would still enjoy hearing your suggestions for any further times and I want to try a new twist to it. So, please feel free to let me know some of your suggestions. Thanks

My suggestion would be to learn how to make a homemade Jack Daniels or some other homemade BBQ sauce in place of a store-bought. There are lots of recipes out there on Google for a thick bbq sauce.

I suppose I would suggest just drinking the Jack Daniels.;) (not the sauce)

Anything else would just envolve personal taste/opinions/etc... and those along with...what a dollar bill...? would by you a cup of coffee!:LOL:

Carry on .....and

Enjoy!

zepplin17 said:
I just want to get people's feelings on what they think of this marinade before I try it out myself:

This for 2 LB's of Steak Tips:

12 oz Newcastle Brown Ale
1 Cup Jack Daniels Tennessee Hickory Mesquite Grilling Sauce
1/2 Cup of Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 Cup of Creamy Italian Salad Dressing
2 Tablespoons Each of:
Spicy Brown Mustard
Kraft BBQ Sauce
Ketchup
Soy Sauce
Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Each of:
Chili Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Salt
Salt
Pepper

Marinate overnight

So, what do you think of this way to marinade? Do you think it would come out tasty/good/whatever are you thoughts, I'd like to hear??

I'd go with the ale, the dried spices at the end, and the brown sugar. Leave the rest in the fridge or in the store.

zepplin17 said:
This is the final product and how I did it:

12 OZ Newcastle Beer
2 Cups of Jack Daniels Tennessee Hickory Mesquite Grilling Sauce
1 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
1/3 Cup of Spicy Brown Mustard
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon each of Chilli Powder, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Dry Mustard

Add each of the ingredients to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for about 30 minutes until the ingredients mix and the sauce starts to thicken. Bring to a cool. Put 2 Lbs of Sirloin Steak Tips into a storage bag and add the marinade when it's cool. Refrigerate overnight and cook on the grill.

I had alot of people who were raving about them on Sunday. Thanks again for all of your imput. Hope to be able to use your help again sometime.

THAT looks a whole lot better than the original idea, Zep.
With those ingredients available, I'd have used the Newcastle Brown; maybe your Grilling sauce ( although it tends to defeat the point of making your own marinade if you're using a prepared product in it); a tablespoon, no more, of Worcestershire Sauce (it has tamarind, anchovy and lots of hot spices in it,not to mention the vinegar...); the sugar, the chilli powder and the dry mustard. Cut the brown mustard, cut the lemon juice, cut the garlic and onion powder - whack a few fresh cloves of garlic into a blender with a whole, chopped raw onion and you get a million times better flavour.
You did really well by the sound of it. No fear about experimenting - that's exactly what cooking is all about! Good on ya!:chef:

Way, way too many ingredients!

Try Jack Daniel's Whiskey
chopped, fresh garlic
pineapple juice
Worcestershire Sauce

Why make so much volume for a comparatively small amount of meat? That sounds/looks like a pretty nice flavor package. I might have left out the lemon juice or at least cut it 'way down.
Glad you and your guests enjoyed it.

Back
Top Bottom