Yogurt Marinade advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JillBurgh

Sous Chef
I was thinking about baking some chicken breasts tonight, but I would like to tenderize them with some yogurt. I would usually do this overnight, but I'm wondering if I can get away with only two hours of marinating?

The recipe is one of those tastes-like-fried-chicken deals - as we're not off the New Year's diet YET! - yogurt marinated chicken rolled in cornflake/cracker mixture, seasoned heavily, yada yada. Can any professional marinaters offer some advice?

Chicken doesn't need overnight to marinate. Go ahead and do it for tonight's dinner. Usually a couple of hours is sufficient.

Great, thanks. I tried looking up recipes online and found them directing anywhere from 30 minutes to 24 hours. I'll give it a whirl as you suggest.

I saw someone make this on the tellie... My variation goes:

Combine a cup of nonfat plain yogurt with S&P, garlic and your favorite herbs and seasonings. I usually just go with some rosemary and or thyme, chives, maybe some lemon juice, mustard, cayenne, whatever.

Coat your chicken breasts and let them tenderize in the yogurt mixture in the fridge overnight.

Wipe the yogurt off the breasts into a bowl. Whisk in 2 egg whites with the marinade and dip the chicken breasts back in the marinade to coat. Roll each coated breast in a a combination of coarsely crushed cornflakes and wheat crackers with cayenne and seasoned salt (On TV they also used sesame seeds with the crumbs). Bake on oil-sprayed baking sheet, uncovered, 45 min at 375.

Voila! Doesn't taste like REAL fried chicken, but good for a healthy alternative.

Grilling Fool, I intended to snap a photo of the chicken when it was done, but spaced out and ate it first!

Turned out extra yummy, though... I forget how nicely a chicken breast plumps up when baked. Last night's version used crushed wheat thins and Corn Flakes with a healthy dose of cayenne and some salt. Yogurt marinade seasoned with scallion, dried bouquet garni, more than a little chili powder, dash of lemon juice, heap of garlic and some S&P. Andy was right.. 2 hours was plenty of time to soften up the chicken. You won't believe how tasty this breading is!

Highly recommended for family dinner night.

Chicken doesn't need overnight to marinate. Go ahead and do it for tonight's dinner. Usually a couple of hours is sufficient.

I've got to say that I generally disagree here. I always let my chicken marinate as long as possible. In my experience it doesn't pick up flavors nearly as easily as pork, for example.

Take this with a grain of salt though, as I generally like pretty bold flavors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom