"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Marinades
Old 02-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
Sous Chef
Your barby can kill you!

Get your attention? There recently was an article regarding carcinogens created by grilling meats. This is true. Back in '99 or '00 I came across an article giving a marinade that can actually reduce greatly the cancer threat from grilling. It's from James S. Felton at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California. I quote from the article in USA Weekly that I found it in:
"1/2 C. packed Brown Sugar,
6 Tbsp Olive Oil,
4 Tbsp Cider Vinegar,
3 Tbsp grainy Mustard,
4 Tbsp Lemon Juice,
1 1/2 tsps Salt,

Mix all in a large bowl or a plastic bag with a zipper. Add the meat of your choice; coat all sides. Marinate 5 - 10 minutes. (You make soak longer to intensify the flavor, but tests show longer marination does not increase anti-cancer activity.) Remove meat from marinade and place on hot grill. Remove meat from grill as soon as it's done. Longer grilling produces more carcinogens (cancer causing agents)."

And it tastes good, too!

dave the baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
Sounds great. I actually just posted a big paragraph on another thread about the risk of cancer due to the formation of toxic compounds on meats which cook for long times at high temperatures.

LaurenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 AM   #3
Sous Chef
Didn't see your posting, but I'm glad we're both on the same track. I saw something in the paper a few days ago that reminded me of the article I refered to. Do try the marinade, it's actually pretty good.
dave the baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:06 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
google Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons, you should get plenty of info.
burned toast is just as bad though.
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:43 AM   #5
Head Chef
well I am screwed. I love to grill and I love burned toast - yum, it is nice and crunchy.
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Master Chef
I thought you were talking barby as in Barby doll. Duh...
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
Head Chef
The first time I read about one of these "BBQ = cancer" studies several years back, it ended with a quote from the spokesman for the research team. He said the team could not verify their specific findings "because we ate the evidence."
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
google Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons, you should get plenty of info.
burned toast is just as bad though.
I was going to mention the burned toast too.

It's not new information - I think it just keeps resurfacing with a different food. And I intend to ALWAYS eat the evidence. ...except burned toast, that's nasty!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
You're right Miss KE....This has been around for years popping up here and there as "New" information. IMO your chances of getting cancer from eating grilled, slightly charred meat is about the same as one's chances of drowning in the shower...If cooking meat over hot coals/camp fires were a serious danger to the health of humans, then one or two things would have happened...Mankind would have starved or died out a few Million years ago....

I'm gonna fire up the Grill and..

Have Fun!
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Gotta say, UB, your logic is slightly off, although I have no problem eating grilled anything

Cancer usually takes a long time to develop, and until about 100 years ago, the average life expectancy of humans was around 45 years old. So earlier humans, whose life expectancy was even shorter, died of other causes (disease, infected wounds, wild animals, etc.) before they lived long enough to develop cancer.

To the topic of the thread, ingesting anything, even water, in large enough quantities is not healthy, so eat, drink and be merry, in moderation

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote