Best for Pork?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Whew. I have been reading all the rub recipes, and my head is swimming.

I would like some direction on a rub for pork roast.

I have noticed similarities between many of the recipes for rubs, and I am just wondering what in particular makes a rub better for pork or chicken or beef? Is it sugar? Is it something else?

I'd like to use the rub tonight, so if anyone can steer me to a TNT favourite I would appreciate it.

The best rub is the one you like the taste of. Really.

As you have already noticed, there are a lot of common ingredients in rubs. Why let someone else decide what's right for your pork? I've used Emeril's Essence as a rub for pork and chicken. He has several different flavors and I've tried a couple of them. I like his Southwet rub the best.

If you like, you can use a basic rub and add your favorite herb or spice. You could try sage, which is good with pork. You could also try thyme, one of my favorites. If you like it hot, add more cayenne. If you like it sweet, add more sugar. You get the idea.

Thanks Andy. Being a neophyte in the rub category I thought I should ask first rather than risk a disaster. I think I will just wing it and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Alix, I wouldn't worry about it too much and just experiment like crazy in order to find what you like best. Pork is one of those ingredients that is versatile with almost any flavor, whether it be spicy, sweet, earthy, tart, etc.

Alrighty then, I am armed with a number of recipes from the site, and I am off to mix my own. Thanks for the advice guys.

One last question before I go. A friend sent me some worcestershire powder that I would like to incorporate, has anyone used this stuff? Is it pretty potent?

Alix said:
Alrighty then, I am armed with a number of recipes from the site, and I am off to mix my own. Thanks for the advice guys.

One last question before I go. A friend sent me some worcestershire powder that I would like to incorporate, has anyone used this stuff? Is it pretty potent?

I never have, although I have heard of it. Maybe one of our posters from the UK can offer some ideas.

Alix said:

It is a bit on the :w00t: side! And it clumps/granulate easily once opened so it's best stored in an airtight container. You can dust it as is on meats with a light hand, if you're a worcestershire fan, or blend a bit into a dry rub or sauce.

Here's a list of herbs and spices which go well with pork. You can select the ones you like and experiment with combinations. But don't let this list limit you! Pork is wonderfully forgiving and versatile.

Anise, Basil, Bergamot, Caraway ,Cardamom, Chervil, Chillies, Chives, Coriander, Cumin, Dill, Fennel, Garlic, Ginger, Lemon Balm, Marjoram, Mint, Oregano, Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Savory, Tarragon, Thyme

Yum, thanks very much for the list. And thanks also for the advice about the worcestershire powder IC.

Alix said:
Yum, thanks very much for the list. And thanks also for the advice about the worcestershire powder IC.
No prob Alix, if you create anything great with it, share the recipe with us all :) (When sharing the recipe do so in a comically British accent to really drive the point home that your recipe contains worchestershire :ROFLMAO:)

My favorite rub recipe came from a cooking class I took with the chef from my favorite rib joint. He gave us his rib rub recipe, but said you can use it on anything (and I have). I have successfully used it on pork, beef, chicken, fish, and as a seasoning for other dishes. I made up a huge batch of the stuff (tweaked a little for my own taste of course) and just look for any reason I can find to use it :chef:

Every one that ask me. "What's in your rub"? I tell them it's a secret!
Really, it's because I couldn't begin to tell anyone what all is in my rub. I never measure or write down what goes in it.

I use Emeril's Essence as a starting point then remove some spices and add others. I have never used brown sugar. I dislike meat with sweetners. Pineapple with Ham. UGH!

Charlie

alix, why haven't you reported your results?

i'm so disappointed, and disillusioned.

(don't you hate old posts sometimes?)

a basic rub that works on chicken and pork is equal parts of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, fresh cracked black pepper, and a little less sea salt.

WOW! I totally forgot to report in didn't I? BAD ALIX! As I recall I tossed together about 1 tsp of each of the following:

garlic powder
onion powder
worcestershire powder
cracked pepper
coarse salt
lemon zest (more of this)
something green...um...rosemary maybe?

I was going for a vaguely greek flavour with the rub. It was tasty, but it wasn't the best thing I'd ever done. And that worcestershire powder was QUITE flavourful! It was about that time I tried brining the pork and my family went nutty for that. I haven't tried a combo though. I may try that.

Back
Top Bottom