"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Dry Rubs & Mops

Old 08-07-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
Everymom

Best for Pork?

Whew. I have been reading all the rub recipes, and my head is swimming.

I would like some direction on a rub for pork roast.

I have noticed similarities between many of the recipes for rubs, and I am just wondering what in particular makes a rub better for pork or chicken or beef? Is it sugar? Is it something else?

I'd like to use the rub tonight, so if anyone can steer me to a TNT favourite I would appreciate it.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

The best rub is the one you like the taste of. Really.

As you have already noticed, there are a lot of common ingredients in rubs. Why let someone else decide what's right for your pork? I've used Emeril's Essence as a rub for pork and chicken. He has several different flavors and I've tried a couple of them. I like his Southwet rub the best.

If you like, you can use a basic rub and add your favorite herb or spice. You could try sage, which is good with pork. You could also try thyme, one of my favorites. If you like it hot, add more cayenne. If you like it sweet, add more sugar. You get the idea.

Old 08-07-2005, 06:36 PM   #3
Everymom

Thanks Andy. Being a neophyte in the rub category I thought I should ask first rather than risk a disaster. I think I will just wing it and see how it goes. Thanks again!
Old 08-07-2005, 09:32 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Alix, I wouldn't worry about it too much and just experiment like crazy in order to find what you like best. Pork is one of those ingredients that is versatile with almost any flavor, whether it be spicy, sweet, earthy, tart, etc.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:33 AM   #5
Everymom

Alrighty then, I am armed with a number of recipes from the site, and I am off to mix my own. Thanks for the advice guys.

One last question before I go. A friend sent me some worcestershire powder that I would like to incorporate, has anyone used this stuff? Is it pretty potent?
Old 08-08-2005, 05:30 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Alrighty then, I am armed with a number of recipes from the site, and I am off to mix my own. Thanks for the advice guys.

One last question before I go. A friend sent me some worcestershire powder that I would like to incorporate, has anyone used this stuff? Is it pretty potent?
I never have, although I have heard of it. Maybe one of our posters from the UK can offer some ideas.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:04 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
It is a bit on the side! And it clumps/granulate easily once opened so it's best stored in an airtight container. You can dust it as is on meats with a light hand, if you're a worcestershire fan, or blend a bit into a dry rub or sauce.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 01:44 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Here's a list of herbs and spices which go well with pork. You can select the ones you like and experiment with combinations. But don't let this list limit you! Pork is wonderfully forgiving and versatile.

Anise, Basil, Bergamot, Caraway ,Cardamom, Chervil, Chillies, Chives, Coriander, Cumin, Dill, Fennel, Garlic, Ginger, Lemon Balm, Marjoram, Mint, Oregano, Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Savory, Tarragon, Thyme
Old 10-08-2005, 11:16 AM   #9
Everymom

Yum, thanks very much for the list. And thanks also for the advice about the worcestershire powder IC.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:25 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Yum, thanks very much for the list. And thanks also for the advice about the worcestershire powder IC.
No prob Alix, if you create anything great with it, share the recipe with us all (When sharing the recipe do so in a comically British accent to really drive the point home that your recipe contains worchestershire )

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None