"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Dry Rubs & Mops

Old 05-08-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Buckytom's Turkish Chicken and Pork rub

buckytom's authentic turkish chicken and pork rub.

i made this tonight based on a recipe gleaned from several conversations with a neighbor from ankara, turkey.

it is intended to be used on large chunks of chicken breast to be skewered and grilled on high heat, but i used it on very low fat cubed pork loin and it turned out great.

for the rub:

into a mortar, put:

1/2 tsp mixed coloured peppercorns (black will suffice)
6 peppercorns of allspice
1/8 tsp of fennel seed
1/4 tsp of mustard seed
1/8 tsp of cumin seed
1/2 tsp of kosher or large grain sea salt

using a pestle, grind above ingredients into a powder, then add:

1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground garlic
1/2 tsp dried savory (or oregano)
1/2 tsp hungarian paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder

mix everything together well, then sprinkle gently onto 2" cubes, a pinch at a time, over a low fat meat such as chicken breast or pork loin. don't over do it as the rub will overtake the taste of delicate meat like chicken breast or pork loin.

since the meat intended for this is lean, be sure to cut the cubes large so that that they don't dry out before they attain a decent grilled crust.

skewer and grill over high heat for 4 minutes, flip, grill 4 minutes more, turn and grill another minute, flip, then grill a final minute.

serve with grilled sweet onions, rice, and warmed pitas.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a rifle from Ankara, Turkey

Thanks for the recipe. Is this a street food in Turkey?
I'll have to put this on my list of things to cook.
And it will give me a reason to buy a mortar & pestle.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

i don't know if it's street food over there, pac. that might be a tough concept to try to get across.

i can see myself pointing at the street and trying to ask about it. i might be seeing the business end of one of those rifles.

btw, the measurements that i posted were just guesses, and they make a decent amount of rub. enough for a lot of meat.

it's not meant to be used in heaping amounts on the meat, just a pinch on two opposite sides of the cubes, then mush the meat cubes together to distribute. if you use too much, you won't taste the chicken or pork, only the rub.

that concept was easy enough to understand by hand gesturing using pool sand, lol.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Executive Chef

So, do you call it Turkey Buzzard Rub?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds wonderful, thanks Tom

Tags
chicken, pork, recipe

Buckytom's Turkish Chicken and Pork rub buckytom's authentic turkish chicken and pork rub. i made this tonight based on a recipe gleaned from several conversations with a neighbor from ankara, turkey. it is intended to be used on large chunks of chicken breast to be skewered and grilled on high heat, but i used it on very low fat cubed pork loin and it turned out great. for the rub: into a mortar, put: 1/2 tsp mixed coloured peppercorns (black will suffice) 6 peppercorns of allspice 1/8 tsp of fennel seed 1/4 tsp of mustard seed 1/8 tsp of cumin seed 1/2 tsp of kosher or large grain sea salt using a pestle, grind above ingredients into a powder, then add: 1/2 tsp ground turmeric 1/2 tsp ground garlic 1/2 tsp dried savory (or oregano) 1/2 tsp hungarian paprika 1/2 tsp onion powder mix everything together well, then sprinkle gently onto 2" cubes, a pinch at a time, over a low fat meat such as chicken breast or pork loin. don't over do it as the rub will overtake the taste of delicate meat like chicken breast or pork loin. since the meat intended for this is lean, be sure to cut the cubes large so that that they don't dry out before they attain a decent grilled crust. skewer and grill over high heat for 4 minutes, flip, grill 4 minutes more, turn and grill another minute, flip, then grill a final minute. serve with grilled sweet onions, rice, and warmed pitas. :chef: 3 stars 1 reviews