Good cajun and/or blackening mixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mindgame

Assistant Cook
this seems to be the best place to add this

looking for a good cajun and/or blackening
seasoning mixture.
- -
i want something i can use as a rub, add to soups or even put on my eggs -
i see alot of threads on rubs but im not sure if
meat rubs are drasticly different then seasoning mixes you should be using in mixtures with other non-meat items (soup)

- -
just to mention, i dont like to cook with or season my meat prior to cooking, with alot of salt, so if salt plays a major role in the mixture/flavor i wont be able to use it.
- -
i see alot of recipes just say add 1 or 2 tbl spns of cajun seasoning..but id like to make my own mixture - alot of these pre made mixtures give a few ingrediants and then "various spices"
- -
thnx

mindgame said:
i see alot of threads on rubs but im not sure if
meat rubs are drasticly different then seasoning mixes you should be using in mixtures with other non-meat items (soup)
The rub recipes you will find are just a combination of various spices. You can absolutely use them on non meat items or however else you would want to use them.

mindgame said:
just to mention, i dont like to cook with or season my meat prior to cooking, with alot of salt, so if salt plays a major role in the mixture/flavor i wont be able to use it.
Any rub recipe that you find that looks interesting can have the salt omitted. My favorite rub recipe calls for salt, but I completely leave it out as I found through experimenting that it was not needed at all.

So, does anyone have a good blackening seasoning?

Either a recipe or commercial product?

I made Blackened Tilapia tonight and loved everything about it but the dried basil in my homemade seasoning recipe (had a bitter, musty taste - maybe it was old).

Had the sliding door (off the kitchen) open, the stove hood on, and was wildly fanning the smoke out the door, as my brother was frying the fish. But it was worth it. Nice, black crust on the outside, moist flaky fish on the inside.

Now I just need a seasoning with a better flavor.

Lee

This is the blackening seasoning I use for my cajun dishes. It's different than any of my rubs, which are largely created specifically for the type of dish I'm making.

2 teaspoons ground paprika
4 teaspoons thyme
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, or to your taste
1 teaspoon oregano
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Last edited:
Ya, self-made rubs are the best. I never know exactly what I'm getting when I use packaged seasonings.

Good blackening seasoning mix there, I have made almost the exact blend, but used a little less thyme. I'll try adding more next time.

Here's the recipe for Emeril's Essence (Creole Seasoning)

2 1/2 Tb Paprika
2 Tb Salt
2 Tb Garlic Powder
1 Tb Black Pepper
1 Tb Onion Powder
1 Tb Cayenne Pepper
1 Tb Dry Oregano
1 Tb Thyme

You can play around with this as a starting point, omitting the salt, adding and removing ingredients and changing amounts.

Back
Top Bottom