ISO A Really Good Dry Rub for BBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I'm tired of my regular rub. It's OK but I'm looking for something better.

Please share your favorite rub recipe for BBQ meats.

I never really measure. My rubs tend to be a bit typical also. But, it works. I have been adding things like, ground dried pepper blends(ancho, chipotle, pasilla, etc). I also like hints of ground cardamom and/or allspice. Have you ever tried black cardaom pods? They are stronger and more pungent thatn their more common cousin. I have also been dry roasting things like mustard seeds, peppercorns, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, in a cast iron pan, then grinding them and adding them to the rubs.

So, sorry. No recipes, but hopefully a few ideas....

Hey Andy, here is one I like on Steak:

Fire Brew Rub

1-tbsp each, garlic salt, sugar and paprika
1-tsp dry thyme leaves
1/2-tsp each cayenne pepper and coarse black pepper (you can adjust the heat)
1/4-tsp white pepper
2- Tbsp finely ground coffee or expresso

If you looking for an all purpose rub let me know.

Hey Andy, here is one I like on Steak:

Fire Brew Rub

1-tbsp each, garlic salt, sugar and paprika
1-tsp dry thyme leaves
1/2-tsp each cayenne pepper and coarse black pepper (you can adjust the heat)
1/4-tsp white pepper
2- Tbsp finely ground coffee or expresso

If you looking for an all purpose rub let me know.

I am looking for an all-purpose rub for BBQ meats - ribs, shoulder, brisket, etc.

Thanks for the steak rub. I'll try it.

I don't use the same rub for pork, beef or chicken. For Texas style brisket it is just salt and black pepper. Type of BBQ (culture) also determines the rub ingredients.

here is my all purpose rub, I use deferent rubs
39817-albums371-picture5614.jpg
for brisket.

Last edited:
I just did a brisket for supper last night. Here is the rub I used.

1 Tbsp Course Salt
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Cumin
2 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp Smoked Paprika

Tried this one on a Pork Shoulder for pulled pork a couple of weeks ago.

6 Tbsp Ground Coffee
2 Tbsp Coarse Salt
2 Tbsp Paprika
2 tsp Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Coarse Pepper
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Coriander

I haven't made a rub in so long I'd have to see if I wrote it down somewhere, but it's pretty basic. Going from memory; equal parts of garlic powder, chili powder and onion powder. then half that amount in turbinado sugar and half that amount in cayenne. I like turbinado over brown sugar because it doesn't clump and keeps well in my shaker.

So I see sugar mentioned in several of these rubs.

I've never put sugar in mine and am wondering about the reason behind sugars in a rub.

Wouldn't the sugars "burn" ?

I've never really given a whole lot of thought to a rub .. I usually just have a blend of onion powder, garlic powder and smoked paprika that I use.

I'm thinking I need to expand my horizons !

I just did a brisket for supper last night. Here is the rub I used.

1 Tbsp Course Salt
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Cumin
2 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp Smoked Paprika

How big was the brisket? Doesn't seem those amounts will make much rub.

So I see sugar mentioned in several of these rubs.

I've never put sugar in mine and am wondering about the reason behind sugars in a rub.

Wouldn't the sugars "burn" ?

I've never really given a whole lot of thought to a rub .. I usually just have a blend of onion powder, garlic powder and smoked paprika that I use.

I'm thinking I need to expand my horizons !

Some say burn, others caramelize ;)
BBQ is done indirect, so the ribs, butt ,whatever colors up (in the case of a butt gets bark), but it doesn't really burn. And the sugar adds a sweetness that many like. Especially when balancing out a little heat.
Yummo :yum: :LOL:

Some say burn, others caramelize ;)
BBQ is done indirect, so the ribs, butt ,whatever colors up (in the case of a butt gets bark), but it doesn't really burn. And the sugar adds a sweetness that many like. Especially when balancing out a little heat.
Yummo :yum: :LOL:

Well see .. there ya go .. that's why you guys are the masters. I all makes sense now .. thanks ... and off I go to get creative !!

I typically just do the flat, too. A whole brisket is just too much brisket, lol.

I never really measure. My rubs tend to be a bit typical also. But, it works. I have been adding things like, ground dried pepper blends(ancho, chipotle, pasilla, etc). I also like hints of ground cardamom and/or allspice. Have you ever tried black cardaom pods? They are stronger and more pungent thatn their more common cousin. I have also been dry roasting things like mustard seeds, peppercorns, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, in a cast iron pan, then grinding them and adding them to the rubs.

So, sorry. No recipes, but hopefully a few ideas....
Thanks for the idea of using black cardamon pods. I picked some up to complete my "set." I have white, green, and now black. I just haven't used them, yet. What's the difference between yellow and brown mustard seeds? I like to do a blend of 1/3 coriander seeds + 2/3 cumin seeds (dry roasted) and blend grind those up to add to all kinds of things. I've never dry roasted peppercorns...

I have never really noticed a difference between the black and yellow mustard seeds. If you grind the black ones, you get yellow powder.

I don't really have measurements but I can give you the ingredients list for three that I like.

The one that I think I use most ofter uses black pepper, brown sugar, chili powder, powdered ginger, a little soy sauce, granulated onion, granulated garlic and powdered mustard. I mix the spices with the soy say (maybe a half teaspoon) and then mix that with the brown sugar. It comes out pretty dry but if I want it to be a wet rub I just add a little water to dissolve the brown sugar.

Another that I like uses grated fresh ginger, mace, black pepper, allspice, coriander, powdered mustard, cardamom, cloves, crushed garlic clove, minced onion, turmeric, sriracha, and honey. Sometimes I also add a small amount of fruit puree or juice (pineapple is a favorite) and brown sugar. It is definitely a wet rub but it's good.

The last one is pretty intense, but really good. I recommend brushing most of the rub off either before cooking or just after cooking. It gives the meat a good flavor and if you are cutting the meat up to put in something, you don't have to brush it off, but it can be overwhelming if you are just serving large pieces of the meat. I used it on lamb ribs but I think it would also work on beef or pork "dark meat". A little of it goes a long way and it has a lot of different flavors combining. Definitely not one I'd use every day but good for a change.

It has sweet paprika, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, minced garlic, turmeric, saffron, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, cloves, lemon zest, vanilla, and a little olive oil. I use the mortar and pestle to mash it to a paste, then rub it onto the meat.

Hopefully you can find something in the thread to inspire you. :)

Back
Top Bottom