Mustard Vinegar Based Mop/Dipping Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef

2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup Yellow mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper; fine ground, light
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Mix and use as a mop or as finishing sauce. Use on pork and hams
Yield: 1 serving

:chef: What is a Mop?

Raine said:

2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup Yellow mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper; fine ground, light
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Mix and use as a mop or as finishing sauce. Use on pork and hams
Yield: 1 serving

dhampir said:
:chef: What is a Mop?
A mop is a sauce that is applied to meats as they cook on the grill. the mop can also be used to sauce the meat after it is cooked.

I use a rub on my butt, and I like it...
Then I take the same rub, add in the vinegar and mustard (in a squeeze bottle) shake it up, and squirt on my butt or ribs or chicken... works for me- easier than an actual mop, with less clean-up.

I am a-MAZED that any self respecting NC BBQ cook would have a mustard sauce!!!! ;o)

Gretchen, 'splain about the battle in NC over the mustard-based and tomato-based sauces. Can't remember which side of the state prefers which.

I had always thought in NC that it was all mustard/vinegar all the time.

OMG, NO, NO. NC has the dignity to have TWO sauce preferences and never the twain shall meet. Eastern NC loves its vinegar sauces--take a quart of vinegar, add a little brown sugar and then add about a half a cup of either black pepper or red pepper. Put THAT on your sammich and try to breathe.
Western NC--defined as "Lexington BBQ-- favors a tomato/vinegar based recipe that is much like mine that is posted in a lot of places--including here, along with my Carolina Pulled pork recipe. It is mellow and delicious.
However south of the NC state line there is a mustard concoction that they refer to as "BBQ sauce". It was first made famous )and not too long ago) by Maurice ____ who runs a BBQ place in Columbia, SC.
I would not dare serve it!!! (Can you take a joke!.But I don't serve it)

Back
Top Bottom