"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Dry Rubs & Mops

Old 03-22-2006, 02:09 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknox
Sometimes when we have thick steaks I will not only poke holes in it but stuff the holes with peices of garlic. I do this with whole chicken as well.

Remember to always allow meat to rest after cooking and before cutting so the juices can redistribute. Cutting before resting may allow all the succulence to run out onto your cutting board.
Same here, bknox. I do the same with a roast as well, poke holes and insert garlic cloves. Sun-dried tomatoes are good too. Deee-lish! A tenderizer might help or slicing the meat against the grain.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

So.... very old thread. But I have some comments I believe are worthwhile. As for holes in whole muscle meats, you can get around it. I got tired of having to soak whole muscle parts in teriyaki marinade sauce for days on end to get adequate penetration for flavor infusion and I didn't wanna poke holes. So I started using a technique called pressure infusion marination to speed up the flavor infusion side of the marination equation. Google for "pressure infusion marination" if you are unfamiliar with it.

Now a question from me: Can anyone tell me if pressure infusion marination is one of the techniques used by the chefs on the Marination Mobile truck? I have no clue how to contact them. If I could, I would ask them. Surely someone reading this post can give me a site I can post to that these guys read on some frequency basis - or an eMail address I can use to hook up with someone on the truck - a cell phone might be asking a bit much. But I'll take anything.

Tags
None