REC--Spiced Cocoa Rub on Lamb Kabobs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
This cocoa spice rub works especially well with lamb. Although the look and smell of the rub is quite chocolate-y, the flavor on the grilled meat is very subtle. We used the rub on cubed lamb shoulder and leg for easy-to-prepare kabobs. A whole butterflied leg of lamb would work well with this rub, too.

1 c natural cocoa powder
1/4 c kosher salt
2 tsp dried red pepper flakes, finely chopped
1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
4 lbs lamb shoulder/leg cut into 1 1/2" cubes or 1 boneless leg of lamb, butterflied
2 red onions, chopped into 2" pieces

Combine all dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, spice grinder, or a large mortar and pestle. Grind until the red pepper flakes are crushed into a fine powder.

Generously coat the lamb cubes with the dry rub. Using metal skewers, alternate the lamb cubes with pieces of red onion. Let the lamb marinate for up to 12 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.

Light the grill. Remove the lamb from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before grilling. Grill over direct coals, turning once after 5 minutes. If the grill has a lid, cover the meat while it is grilling. Using an instant read thermometer, check the internal temperature of the lamb. When it reaches 125 degrees F, remove from the heat for medium-rare.

You'll have to let me know what you think. I'm not a fan of lamb, but I thought this rub sounded really good. I thought of you and Bucky when I read it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom