Salt in rubs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flgshp99

Assistant Cook
I know there is alot of debate about this....but how do other members feel about putting salt in the rub or salting right before grilling?

I do both. Most rubs have some salt in them. The rub I use for pulled pork has salt in it.

I also salt the meat before I cook it. I feel it produces a different flavor from onnly salting just before eating.

thx people, On another note what do u think about suger in rubs? if your grilling with high heat it seems the suger burns? I like to use a cast iron grill pan and it seems like I'm going to have to leave suger out of the rub any ideas?

Same answer. Most rubs have brown sugar in them. You would be cooking BBQ at a lower temperature, usually 225-275 F. Burning is not a problem.

I have asked this same question to bbq fanatics and Chefs alike. What I know is salt, although not incredibly necessary, has a dual purpose.

Salt will boost the flavor of the blend you are making but be careful not to go crazy with it as it will be more salty than tasty. Also salt aids in holding in the moisture of the meat and keeping it succulent. There is a scientific reason that has to do with restricting capillaries or something of the sort. I cannot find the actual letter that explains it but in a nutshell it aids in keeping the liquids from flowing out while cooking. Hope this is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom