"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Dry Rubs & Mops

Old 01-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Something I've run across is to use a touch of oil (I use EVOO on my steaks) or something else to help the rub to stay on the meat. Having the rub on the meat doesn't do as much good if it falls off halfway through cooking.

Nothing major, just maybe a 1/4 tsp of oil per steak.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I prefer to do a rub at least a day in advance, and have been known to often do it 2 days in advace, especially for beef and pork.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Gday Haggis, I do a rub on a whole pork loin a day ahead. Put the loin on the cutting board spray it with a mist of vegetable oil and as others have post work the rub in. Any extra gets worked more on the fatty side. The meat then gets wrapped in plastic wrap and into the refrigerator until it is time to cook. Oh yeah I'll stab slivers of garlic into the meat before putting the rub on. The end result is a picture on a thread somewhere in this site.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
Senior Cook

The picture is on a thread 'Happy New Year Pork Loin'
Old 02-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Rubs are usually best if you rub them into the meat and then let them sit for a while. I will list my favorite rub recipe below. I use this one for everything from chicken to ribs to steak and sometimes even fish. I have rubbed this into the meat and let it sit for 24 hours and the flavors really penetrate deep into the meat. I have also rubbed this on and let sit for 5 minutes. It was still delicious, but the flavor was just on the exterior of the meat. It was not deep inside.

1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp lemon pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp light brown sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of salt
sounds good, thanks for sharing the recipe.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:39 AM   #16
Head Chef

I used a dry rub for the first time. My rub had 8 tablespoons sugar and 3 tablespoons salt among other spices, and it was good for 2 slabs of ribs. I'm supposed to leave the rub on the slabs for 2 hours in the fridge before cooking.

My problem: After 2 hours the ribs ended up sitting in a significant amount of liquid.

I'm concerned about the salt extracting moisture from the meat. Is this a valid concern? Should I just hold the salt from the rub and add it to the meat right before
cooking?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Every dry rub that I have ever seen has included salt. You do not have to worry about that at all. Did you make up that rub recipe yourself or did you get it somewhere? I have never seem one that has so much sugar or one that has nothing else other than sugar and salt.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #18
Head Chef

Hi GB, thanks for your reply. It's Alton Brown's recipe. It has other spices along with the sugar and salt. I don't want the moisture pulled out of the meat before cooking...
Old 03-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

There is a technique known as dry brining. it is when salt is applied to meat a long time before cooking. initially the salt draws moisture out of the meat, but then as the salt dissolves the liquid is sucked back into the meat. i have never heard of this technique being used for ribs, but all rib rubs I have ever seen always contain salt so I would say you will be just fine. Let us know how they turn out.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #20
Head Chef

The liquid in this case came out of the meat and stayed outside.

The ribs turned out pretty good actually, although at the back of my mind I kept thinking maybe they could have been more moist. Next time, I'll try holding the salt until the moment of cooking, just to compare results. Thanks GB!

Tags
None