"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Dry Rubs & Mops

Old 09-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #11
Head Chef

naw, in a lot of the food magazines, roasting vegies is all the rage. I think this is just taking it one step further..

This does not have cheese but it has a great herbed loin which lent deliciousness to the vegies...

Course, I threw the vegies in about 1/4 to 1/2 way for the roast, when the roast and rack came out to rest, gave the vegies that extra time to roll in the pan sauce and finish up.

wow, sorry it's so big!

Old 09-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #12
Master Chef

oh, my, how yummy, yummy does that look, you dragn!

Old 09-27-2016, 04:27 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
Maybe, after all, they ARE a British thing
I'd still call it a casserole. But I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Where is Chief? Don't we call that a one pot in Minnesota?

TBS
Old 09-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post

TBS
Aside from coloquial expressions, I think the following is pretty universal...
IMHO
A casserole is usually a dish, often with a lid, that is made up of pretty much already cooked ingredients, put together and heated and or reheated in the oven.

A stew is wetter, starting with raw ingredients, usually needing a long cooking time to tenderize. Can be done on both on the stove top or in the oven; with a lid to retain moisture.

A one pot or pan meal, is more often with raw ingredients and almost always done on the stove top with minimal time (as in not hours and hours like a stew but might be long enough to do rice or potatoes). Starting with one ingredient and then just working your way thru all the additions into the same pot. (and served from that same pot - LOL - why dirty another dish!)
Old 09-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
IMHO
A casserole is usually a dish, often with a lid, that is made up of pretty much already cooked ingredients, put together and heated and or reheated in the oven.

A stew is wetter, starting with raw ingredients, usually needing a long cooking time to tenderize. Can be done on both on the stove top or in the oven; with a lid to retain moisture.

A one pot or pan meal, is more often with raw ingredients and almost always done on the stove top with minimal time (as in not hours and hours like a stew but might be long enough to do rice or potatoes). Starting with one ingredient and then just working your way thru all the additions into the same pot. (and served from that same pot - LOL - why dirty another dish!)
Great breakdown. I agree in theory with that. I guess I see more stews and casseroles than one pot or pan meals where I am.

Quick edit: always good to know the terms, as most places I go I try to pick up at a local bookstore the local church/community/Cuthulu cult etc.(ok just kidding on the last, Never been to Arkham) cookbook. I lost a bunch in the last move, as sadly one of the boxes that never made it was a cookbook box, but they give me great ideas.

Seen one pot, but pan meal is new. Good to know.

TBS
Old 09-27-2016, 06:13 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

It's not a casserole. It's a newly popular method of easy cooking called a sheet-pan dinner where a protein and vegetables with seasonings are baked in the oven on a sheet pan. A half sheet pan is a 13" x 18" shallow baking dish with a lip a half inch high.

It's for smaller pieces of meat, chicken or fish, not roasts.
Here are some examples:

http://www.thekitchn.com/5-sheet-pan...e-meals-235991

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/qu...-pan-dinners#1

I saved this one a few weeks ago: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2016/08...een-beans.html

I've been reading about it for the last six months or so and I'm planning to incorporate it more into my cooking now that the weather is getting cooler and I don't mind having the oven on that much.

Since I can't stand for long periods, I can do the prep sitting at my peninsula and then the cooking is hands-off. And, as di noted, it can be prepared several hours or a day in advance and cooked whenever you want.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:29 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are the main elements you need to make a good tray bake?

Not a term I was familiar with either, but having grown up in the land of casseroles and hotdish, a tray bake is definitely not one of those.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post

TBS
Chief is in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - the Great Lakes State! (I grew up in southeastern Michigan )
Old 09-27-2016, 07:02 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Chief is in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - the Great Lakes State! (I grew up in southeastern Michigan )
I know, I'm the worst, all of you upper Midwest staters look alike ;) Lots of ponds we call lakes state, right? I've heard Yoopers are a special breed. I can tell you there are some places there I would drive twelve hours without sleep to just camp for the weekend. Have done so in Texas (Big Bend), Nebraska, and here in Pennsylvania.

Have some very nice relatives from St. Paul area. Need to go camping and canoeing up there soonest. I mean all those lakes hook together, right? 'says the guy who lives on a state bordering Erie).

TBS

TBS
Old 09-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
IMHO

I believe we've had this discussion before... and you missed one popular appellation - the hotdish. That's what most casseroles were called in my parents' social circles when I was growing up in Minnesota in the 50's and early 60's.

Tags
None