What do I do with these spices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
I have had something called Savory in one of my spice racks for a while and was wondering what it's used for. Any ideas? Another one I don't even use is celery seed and celery salt. What's that used for? Thanks in advance.

Dina

Dina,

Everyone raves over my deviled eggs. My secret? Along with Miracle Whip and yellow mustard, I add celery seed. Add enough to flavor it, but not too much or it could be bitter. As far as the savory, I'm not sure what it is. I would smell it and see what it is similar to and play it by ear. I would assume you can use celery salt on anything you wanted to add salt and the flavor of celery to (maybe macaroni salad, potato salad, etc).

:) Barbara

Savory is the dried leaves of the herb Satureja hortensis. The brownish-green leaves are fragrantly aromatic, resembling that of Thyme.

Savory, used in vegetables, beans, lentils, bouquet garni, eggs, stuffings, condiments, hamburger, gravy, soup mixes, and in spice blends

Dina, have you ever made nuts and bolts? Celery salt is a crucial ingredient in the spice blend for that. It is also what you rim your glass with when you pour a Caesar or Bloody Mary...mmmmmmm! Celery seed is good in stuffing for a chicken...and I don't use savory much but a friend suggests you use it on your fish. Let me know if you want to try out the nuts and bolts recipe and I will post it.

Good call on the Ceasar Alix! And yes I have to agree with the Nuts and Bolts as well! As for the Savory Dina, ,I often put it in my stews, and a tad with my roasts when they are in the slow cooker. Savory, along with Tarragon are good on Pork Chops.

Usually on the sides of the spice/herb jars there is a list of what they blend nicely with. Also, type in your spice followed by a comma, and then type in recipe (on google) and recipes will pop up for you to go by. Except when you type in savory be sure and say savory herb, recipe as it will help in distinguishing a search for just "savory" dishes.

Thanks for all of your tips, you all. Hand over the nuts and bolts recipe, Alix. I have a few unscrewed screws to tighten up. :LOL: I love the idea of bloody mary drinks...YUMMY... but what's in the Caesar drink? Similar, I hope. I love anything with tomato or veggie juice.

Dina

Dina - a Bloody Caesar is made with Clamato

1 oz Vodka
Salt
Celery Salt
Pepper
1 dash Worcestershire Sauce
1 dash Tabasco Sauce
Clamato Juice

Rim tall glass with celery salt, fill with ice and ingredients. Garnish with a celery stick, straw, and lime.

or you can mix clam juice and tomato juice:

Bloody Caesar

Ingredients Directions:
1 14oz. can of Clam Juice plus
1 14 oz. can of tomato juice
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
* tsp. Celery Salt
* Black Pepper
* Salt
* Hot Sauce or Horseradish
* to taste

Mix above with Vodka and garnish with wedge of fresh lime. Serve over ice. (Without the vodka, it's a Bloody Shame)

Yield: five 6 oz. servings..

YUM! Love Clamato and Vodka! You guys are spoiling me too much here. I'm going to the liquor store very soon. Thanks for all your great tips.

Dina :D

Hey Dina....Did you also notice that it is FRIDAY!!! What better day to indulge.....mmmm damn my huhbby better hurry his arse home after work....now I have all day to think about the nummy Friday teasers......mmmmmm BBBEEEEEEEEEERRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO....still mmmmm BEER! ok ok ok I'll stop...enjoy your Ceasars, or Bloody ones at that.....

Celery salt is wonderful with egg dishes like omlettes. It is also nice on french toast (savoury not the sweet kind) . My grandad used to dip bread in milk, fry it in butter or lard then sprinkle celery salt on it.

Dina said:
I have had something called Savory in one of my spice racks for a while and was wondering what it's used for. Any ideas? Another one I don't even use is celery seed and celery salt. What's that used for? Thanks in advance.

Dina

I love celery seed and celery salt. I usually use it in place of regular salt..in just about anything. I use celery seed in soups,stews,and,and salads. It goes very well in salad dressings. I have never used Savory. I have not a clue why not. I must try it soon.

I've never used Savory, but I've seen it listed in some French recipes.

Personally, I find Celery seed to be to bitter for my taste. I've used Celery Salt, but I have issues with buying flavored "salt". I tend to make my own seasoning mixes anyway.

I've found Dried Celery Flakes, from McCormick, at the spice section in grocery stores. I've ground the chunks up to a powder, and use that in some of my own spice blends for a good flavor.

Usually, though, if I want the celery flavor in my food, I'll diced some celery and add it in. I always have celery one hand.

summer savory is essential (at least to me) in cassoullett (sp) made w/ white beans. I put it in all bean recipes, except chili...don't know why not, maybe I'll try it in there tonight. I think it's more of a staple herb in French cooking, and can't cook navy beans w/out it.

Always keep the clamato & vodka on hand if expecting Canadian guests. I'm told savory is an integral ingredient in tourtiere, but never remember to buy some.

Back
Top Bottom