What the heck is a "MOP"??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a noun it is an implement made of absorbent material and fastened to a handle. As a verb - it means to use a mop.

In BBQing - it's generally a wooden stick (usually about 12-inches long or longer) with a cotton string "mop head" (2-4 inches long) attached to one end. It (the noun mop) is dipped into a sauce and used to brush (the verb mop) food on the grill. A "mop" can also be used to describe the sauce being "mopped" onto the food.

Daisy confused me! Maybe if I had added the Misistry of Planning to my ribs they would have turned out. Ha Ha haahahahaha! Just kidding.

Of course 'mop' to food lovers is a type of basting sauce for barbecue. It is applied with a small hand held 'mop'. I own a bbq mop but still prefer to use natural bristle paint brush from the hardware, but that's just me. Maybe I will give it another try.

Type in "bbq mop recipe" into google and you will get ideas for preparing a mop. I am sure with a little patients you will find one that suites you, there are many to choose from.

Enjoy,
Bryan

Speaking of mops, I was at the Harpoon Brewery BBQ Championship in Vermont yesterday.

I got into a discussion of mops with one crew. They do not mop at all. They rely on their rub for flavor. They said you lose heat and add cooking time (15 minutes each time) every time you open the lid to mop.

I never read this part of the forum (no barbecue or grill or whatever we want to call it) but I was curious as to what a Mop was (apart from something I use to clean the floor with) thanks for asking! And all who answered!

Back
Top Bottom