Anyone make their own mustard??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mustard

Making mustard is fun and easy. I did not know that about cold water = hot mustard and warm water = milder mustard. I've been wondering why my mustard always comes out so hot. Not that I am complaining- I like hot mustard. But I am going to try the warm water next time and try to make a milder batch. I have a jar of brown mustard seeds, a jar of yellow mustard seeds, and a jar of mustard powder that I use in different combinations. And a spice grinder to bust those seeds up.

Mustard, water, vinegar and salt- I want to get the basics of down first and then maybe try honey or something. It is my understanding that mustard made this way will last forever, even without refrigeration. It might lose some punch, but it won't spoil.

Making mustard is fun and easy. I did not know that about cold water = hot mustard and warm water = milder mustard. I've been wondering why my mustard always comes out so hot. Not that I am complaining- I like hot mustard. But I am going to try the warm water next time and try to make a milder batch. I have a jar of brown mustard seeds, a jar of yellow mustard seeds, and a jar of mustard powder that I use in different combinations. And a spice grinder to bust those seeds up.

Mustard, water, vinegar and salt- I want to get the basics of down first and then maybe try honey or something. It is my understanding that mustard made this way will last forever, even without refrigeration. It might lose some punch, but it won't spoil.

Vinegar in itself is a preservative. So no need to place in fridge. Also the color of the seeds determines the heat. The darker seeds are hotter. Ask any Canadian.

Vinegar in itself is a preservative. So no need to place in fridge. Also the color of the seeds determines the heat. The darker seeds are hotter. Ask any Canadian.
The color of the seeds is not the only factor that determines the heat. Read the link I posted.

And while vinegar is a preservative, its presence alone doesn't necessarily mean that the preparation is safe at room temperature. It depends on the acidity level, the other ingredients and the ratios of these to each other.

I tried making my own mustard a few years ago. Actually, I think I started this thread. Anyway, I wasn't too successful. I guess back to the drawing board. I don't remember what I did, or where I went wrong. Maybe Ill try again this year.

I once bought some light colored grain mustard. I liked it. But for the life of me, I can't remember the brand. The closest I have come to is in flavor is Gulden's. And that is not a light color.

I give up. I have a jar of Gulden's on the fridge shelf. And there it will sit until I have another piece of ham. The only time I ever use it.

I've been making Dijon-style mustard for a few years now. This past Christmas, I made a couple quarts, then used jalapeños from the garden and honey from our hives to make jalapeño mustard and honey mustard for Christmas gifts. I love it :wub:

This has lots of good information: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/...dijon-brown-spicy-yellow-hot-whole-grain.html

I copied their recipe for whole grain Dijon style mustard, but couldn't find a recipe for the smooth one. Do I just use the same recipe as for the seedy one and then process until it's smooth? Or do you use a different recipe?

I copied their recipe for whole grain Dijon style mustard, but couldn't find a recipe for the smooth one. Do I just use the same recipe as for the seedy one and then process until it's smooth? Or do you use a different recipe?
I just use the grainy one. If you want it smoother, yes, continue to process it.

Back
Top Bottom