"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 03-25-2015, 08:30 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

I must admit I am not a fan of mustards. I seldom use it in cooking. I use it as a condiment on certain meats. We keep two different pedestrian mustards in the fridge, one very yellow one and one brown one. I have a tin of Coleman's powder for the few recipes calling for it.

I'm probably missing out on many fantastic sauces, dishes etc. I just can get to like it, not even honey mustard (probably because I don't like honey either).

Old 03-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
The mildest seeds are the yellow ones. Then the brown then the black. Black ones are used in Indian foods and are VERY hot!
My recipe calls for soaking the seeds (brown) overnight then adding the other ingredients then grinding in a coffee bean grinder. They grind up easily after soaking overnight. I like to leave some of the seeds just barely ground to give the finished result a 'grainy' texture which is traditional in many French mustards.
Thank you. And the picture in your next post looks like what I see on the shelves of my grocery store. The closest I would come to that is maybe is a mustard from some foreign land or homemade.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Sounds pretty highfalutin to a lowly US peasant.
All that means is that the palace will allow them to show the sign saying that they sell their food item to the palace for the Queen and her family. So if you want to eat like the Queen, go around to all the London shops that sell food and buy what she eats.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I must admit I am not a fan of mustards. I seldom use it in cooking. I use it as a condiment on certain meats. We keep two different pedestrian mustards in the fridge, one very yellow one and one brown one. I have a tin of Coleman's powder for the few recipes calling for it.

I'm probably missing out on many fantastic sauces, dishes etc. I just can get to like it, not even honey mustard (probably because I don't like honey either).
Are we twins from a former life? I could have written what you just said. Word for Word.

As a kid, during the summer we would go down to the cranberry bog, pick a handful of ripe cranberries, take a tray out of the bee hive, shake off all the bees, peel back the wax and suck out the honey, then put the cranberries in our mouth with it. I had my fill of honey as a kid. Can't stand it today.

When I make a baked ham, I make a past of dark mustard, drained crushed pineapple and brown sugar. Paste it all over the ham. That is about my use of mustard for me.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Is there much difference between Colman's mustard powder and Keen's? It says on the tin

By appointment to
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Manufacturers of Mustard and Sauces
Colman's of Norwich

It's probably the same with a different name. Colman's isn't Colman's anymore. I believe it belongs to a conglomerate these days.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:19 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
It probably says the same thing on the Colman's Mustard. It just means that someone in the royal household has bought it.
It's a bit more complicated than that. It involves the issue of a Royal Warrant which requires the fulfilment of certain conditions (and , contrary to what some people think, 'Er Maj pays for the goods and services involved).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_W...United_Kingdom)
Old 03-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
It's a bit more complicated than that. It involves the issue of a Royal Warrant which requires the fulfilment of certain conditions (and , contrary to what some people think, 'Er Maj pays for the goods and services involved).

Interesting. I was just using my mum's definition. She was saying it didn't really mean a whole lot.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post

I know she pays for all her goods. In fact she now pays for a lot of things that her father didn't pay for. She paid to have Windsor rebuilt after the fire during her "Horrible Year". Even before the fire was put out, Parliament was raising its voice about the Government having to pay for it.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:21 AM   #39
Master Chef

Anyone make their own mustard??

We keep 3 different mustards on hand. Plain yellow for my middle daughter and son, Dijon for my wife and occasional roast I make and Colman's for me and my oldest daughter, either powder or ready made. Out of all the mustards that I have tasted in US Colman's is the only one that is hot enough for my taste. Of course I have not tasted all mustards available, just your regular grocery store variety.

I love the smooth type of mustards and would not touch the mustards with seeds in them. I am very finicky about texture of food I eat.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #40
Senior Cook

Quote:
It probably says the same thing on the Colman's Mustard. It just means that someone in the royal household has bought it.
Not so. Centuries ago the King or Queen of many European countries would basically 'appoint' (order) the maker of something to make sure the 'something' was always available for the Royal's use b/c it was their favorite/best quality.
Now it's only a symbolic thing but it means the Queen, in this case, has put her stamp of approval on the 'something'.
My great great great grandfather on my father's side was
'Appointed' The Official Cabinetmaker to the King of England.

Tags
mustard