"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 03-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
Head Chef

Anyone make their own mustard??

Hey everyone,

I got a new batch of Sauerkraut going and thought it would be great to make my own mustard as well. Sure I could scope out the internet to find a recipe, but curious if anyone has attempted it themselves and can share.

Ideally Id like to start with mustard seeds , as I have an over abundance of them.

Any suggestions welcome,

larry

Old 03-23-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I have made mustard but you need some lead time. it really needs to sit for a few days to mellow. The freshly made stuff is an outrageously hot and acrid mess, imo.

Intersting reading here: How to Make Mustard and here: Whole-Grain Dijon Mustard Recipe - CHOW.com

Old 03-23-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I've used mustard powder, brown sugar (or maple syrup or honey), pickling salt, and oil. If I remember, you heat the mustard seeds in oil until they pop and add them after the mustard has had a chance to blend overnight. Honey mustard is what I usually have to make because my dad can't find his favourite brand anymore. I have made a maple mustard with brown mustard seeds in it. Easy-peasy to make and you control the ingredients!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #4
Wine Guy

I make almost all of my own condiments from scratch, including mustard. I'm actually heading out right now, or I would post more, but here is a good book with a lot of recipes in it that I would recommend....

http://www.amazon.com/Homemade-Condi...QNZT5JCPD5FPQW
Old 03-24-2015, 12:13 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I don't have proportions, but every time I throw this sweet/hot mustard together it's good. We have horseradish plants, so it's one of my stock Christmas gifts....

Soak mustard seeds (yellow and some brown if I have them) in white wine vinegar for awhile (several hours to a couple of days). Blend the heck out of them, with horseradish and honey to taste. Maybe a titch of salt.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:15 AM   #6
Master Chef

I buy Coleman mustard powder and use their recipe. It's really hot.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 03-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Just a trivia note of interest.

Canada provides more than 90% of the mustard seed for the world.

Just one of those useless facts in the back of my mind. This is the first time I have been able to use it.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:58 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I've made mustard for years. I've made many different recipes.
 This one has given the tastiest consistent result: It tastes like pricey Moutarde de Meaux Pommery.
Soak 1/3 cup brown mustard seeds in 1 cup water overnight. Must be brown seeds.THEN the next day add 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (I've used basic white table vinegar with little difference in flavor), 2 tablespoons local (real) honey not the faux honey you get at Costco, and 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt (don't use iodised salt) and blend in a coffee bean grinder until the mixture looks creamy but a bit 'grainy', (a food processor does not yield the same result. Store in the refrigerator; the mustard will be very hot at first but will mellow with time.
Of special note! The colder the water is the hotter the finished mustard will be. For a tasty mellow mustard use warm to hot tap water. This is b/c the chemical reaction that takes place the instant the water touches the mustard seed 'sets' the reaction somehow. I've tried using cold water and hot water and the difference in the 'heat' of the finished mustard is very obvious. I don't care for hot mustard so I use hot water.
Ideally the mustard ought to be allowed to condition in the fridge for at least a month before using. I always have a new mustard tucked away in the back of the fridge for use when the current one is used up.
As in so many foods the homemade results are night and day better than any store bought brand.
I always triple the recipe b/c my adult kids were always tapping me for more mustard.
Now I make extra jars to give them.
This mustard also makes a nice gift for a friend and or family member.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:43 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Interesting topic. Learning a lot here. I thought you just followed the instructions on the tin of Keen's Mustard:

For the table
"Mix gradually with cold water to the consistency of very thick cream, stirring well and breaking up all lumps.
After mixing, the mustard should stand 10 minutes to develop full flavour."

I'm not a big fan of mustard as a condiment. I use it mostly as an ingredient and usually from seed, but sometimes from powder. (Okay, I use a bit of prepared Dijon both as ingredient and condiment.)
Old 03-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Interesting topic. Learning a lot here. I thought you just followed the instructions on the tin of Keen's Mustard:

For the table
"Mix gradually with cold water to the consistency of very thick cream, stirring well and breaking up all lumps.
After mixing, the mustard should stand 10 minutes to develop full flavour."

I'm not a big fan of mustard as a condiment. I use it mostly as an ingredient and usually from seed, but sometimes from powder. (Okay, I use a bit of prepared Dijon both as ingredient and condiment.)
I don't ever use mustard as a condiment. Mayo and or butter for me. I do add some dry mustard to my mac and cheese. And that is it for me. I keep a small bottle of Gulden's on hand for anyone who wants to use it as a condiment.

Tags
mustard