"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 12-01-2015, 02:52 PM   #11
Wine Guy

Larry,

I've used the recipe below, and it's fantastic. It seems to me it could be easily modified to be vegetarian. Instead of chicken broth, veggie broth could be substituted and the pork could be omitted, or replaced with seitan. I don't recall if you are lacto-ovo, but you could leave the eggs out as well.

Chinese Hot-and-Sour Soup recipe | Epicurious.com

Old 12-02-2015, 07:20 AM   #12
Master Chef

I have the same prob. Every time I see an Asian sauce, etc. that is kosher, I buy one. I was cleaning out our fridge and had to dump a whole bunch of them. They been seating open, some for years. Ah and hot and sour soup, I too have not been able to make good one using kosher ingredients.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Old 12-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I was joking, Larry I have a ton of Asian ingredients, too.

Are you open to other ways to use them or do you just want to recreate that one dish? As you say, without knowing exactly what you're aiming for, it's tough to give advice, but there are lots of tasty ways to use these ingredients.

You could ask someone at your Asian store for suggestions on how to make the soup. Is it Chinese? Soy sauce and shiitake mushrooms provide a lot of umami (veg but meaty) flavor to Asian dishes.
You beat me to it! Shiitake mushroom broth is used a lot. The dried mushrooms are dirt cheap.
Notice the ubiquitous scent in the air of virtually all chinese restaurants?
That smell is simmering shiitake mushroom broth in the 8 gallon pot at the back of the stove.
I used to sell thousands of live rock cod to a well known chinese restaurant over many years. This meant when I delivered the fish in large bins to the kitchen I was able to observe what was happening. Sometimes I saw a line cook empty a large bag of dried shiitakes into a large stock pot filled with water. Nothing else was added. I think this was the 'mother-stock' for a lot of dishes.
Dried shiitakes from China are a LOT cheaper than using meat scraps to make the mother-stock. The meat scraps were added to the shiitake mother stock later. Plus the shiitake mother-stock is a clear broth to start with compared to using meat scraps which as we know can turn a broth cloudy if not carefully made.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:29 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Anyway, just thought Id share all the Asian condiments Ive accumulated over the years. Its actually kinda funny. Over the years I pull one or two out at a time. But Ive never actually lined them up and admired my full collection :)

Won't help with your soup but one more Asian condiment that you should "collect" is gochujang!

What ‘Chu Know About Gochujang? It's the Hottest Hot Sauce on the Market Gochujang, the Hottest Hot Sauce on the Market - Bon Appetit

Ketchup's Korean Cousin Ketchup's Korean Cousin | Food & Wine
Old 12-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Won't help with your soup but one more Asian condiment that you should "collect" is gochujang!

What ‘Chu Know About Gochujang? It's the Hottest Hot Sauce on the Market Gochujang, the Hottest Hot Sauce on the Market - Bon Appetit

Ketchup's Korean Cousin Ketchup's Korean Cousin | Food & Wine
Time to make some more Bibimbap! Don't forget the gochugaru!

Tags
asian