Atten: BACON lovers!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After saying I was going to do it, I finally did it and made this jam. I used the ingredients listed in the recipe with few changes to the process. Since I was using country bacon and am not a huge fan of salt, I blanched the smoked-hickory country bacon for a moment to remove some of the salt.

30585-albums837-picture4437.jpg

Also, I did not refrigerate it overnight. Instead, I drained the grease after the onion, garlic, and bacon mixture had lost all liquid, then I processed it, added the remaining ingredients and also got three jars of the jam.

30585-albums837-picture4433.jpg

For those interested, I made an album of the process.

As a review, this was much more savory than sweet. The texture is like old-fashioned mincemeat. There is a hint of heat. I think it would be good rolled in croissants with a bit of creamy cheese or on a cheese cracker. It's very rich and I do not think I could eat much of it.

Dawg, how long does it last in the refrigerator? Did it freeze well?

Nice job, Kathleen!

I have a partial jar in the fridge, 1 in the freezer, and took one to Mexico, which had been frozen. My friends loved it with cheese, mustard,and crackers. We had it on an otherwise lackluster Walmart sub, and it was very good. Good on eggs too. I still want to try some on a cheeseburger. You're right, it's very rich.

I just looked at Amazon, they have a 7oz. jar on sale for $19.99!

Last edited:
Timothy said:
I got frustrated tying to find the recipe for Bacon Jam in the thread. Never did find it.

I did find this one on the web. Is it close to what you guys are all making?

Bacon Jam Recipe

I think that IS the recipe, Timothy! Kayelle posted it originally.

OK, it's in condiments, ATTN: BACON LOVERS!

Last edited:
Nice job, Kathleen!

I have a partial jar in the fridge, 2 in the freezer, and took one to Mexico, which had been frozen. My friends loved it with cheese and crackers. We had it on an otherwise lackluster Walmart sub, and it was very good. I still want to try some on a cheeseburger. You're right, it's very rich.

I just looked at Amazon, they have a 7oz. jar on sale for $19.99!

$19 bucks?! Wow. It took time to make, but was pretty easy. A bit on a cheeseburger would be good too, I think. Thanks for the kudos. You were my inspiration! :yum:

Kathleen said:
$19 bucks?! Wow. It took time to make, but was pretty easy. A bit on a cheeseburger would be good too, I think. Thanks for the kudos. You were my inspiration! :yum:

Thanks! The Amazon jam description sounds a lot like what we made. And I saw the recipe Tim posted was tweaked a bit from the original, heating and scooping fat, rather than just scooping fat from a refrigerated state. I didn't get that part, but drained before I chilled it. I think your tweaks make sense, Kathleen.

After saying I was going to do it, I finally did it and made this jam. I used the ingredients listed in the recipe with few changes to the process. Since I was using country bacon and am not a huge fan of salt, I blanched the smoked-hickory country bacon for a moment to remove some of the salt.

30585-albums837-picture4437.jpg

Also, I did not refrigerate it overnight. Instead, I drained the grease after the onion, garlic, and bacon mixture had lost all liquid, then I processed it, added the remaining ingredients and also got three jars of the jam.

30585-albums837-picture4433.jpg

As a review, this was much more savory than sweet. The texture is like old-fashioned mincemeat. There is a hint of heat. I think it would be good rolled in croissants with a bit of creamy cheese or on a cheese cracker. It's very rich and I do not think I could eat much of it.

very nice job and demonstration, kathleen, very nice! a jar of your savory bacon jam + a box of stoned wheat thins + me....:pig::pig::pig::yum::yum::yum:

Beautiful, Kathleen!

Finally got my hands on some PC Bacon Marmalade. I was a little disappointed. I was hoping for something a bit more complex. It really had no depth in flavor. All that I could taste was sugar and that simulated smokey flavor. Not much else. I tried it with old cheddar on crackers. Maybe I will use it to glaze something.

Attachments

• 006720ad42d087b2bd03f4a20d2c.jpeg
    006720ad42d087b2bd03f4a20d2c.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 199
Back
Top Bottom