Brown sugar question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I guess this is a condiment...... :huh:
But what is the trick to using a "brick" of brown sugar?
I have some that came that way from the store and it's a pain in my butt. I've been slamming it around, waiting for a chunk to fall off, then laying the chunk between two pieces of plastic and smashing it with the flat side of a meat tenderizer. There's gotta be a better way....

I have some that came that way from the store and it's a pain in my butt. I've been slamming it around, waiting for a chunk to fall off, then laying the chunk between two pieces of plastic and smashing it with the flat side of a meat tenderizer. There's gotta be a better way....

:ROFLMAO::LOL:sorry for laughing, but the thought of you slamming around a brick of brown sugar in your kitchen has made my eyes tear!!!:ROFLMAO::LOL:
I agree with UB, buy a fresh box!!!

Buy the kind that doesn't clump next time.

*For this you can zap in microwave a bit
*Transfer to a ziplock bag and put a slice of apple in with it - let sit overnight
*Put in ziplock bag with moist paper towel and let sit overnight
*Buy one of those sugar bears or discs

Zapping in microwave should help. Use a lower power if you have that feature and not for very long - try 10 seconds to see what happens.

Shoot. So I take it if the sugar turns into a brick it isn't techincally any good. I was thinking it was like honey.... I saw on a cooking show where they said you could nuke your honey if it crystalizes.... and keep on doing it. That the honey won't be affected. Of course after I saw that show I never had honey crystalize again :rolleyes:. I guess I was hoping for a similar, quick "trick" for my sugar brick.

I'll just buy another one, the non-clumping stuff if I can find it. I don't need it today and don't have any apples in the house.

Hmmm, microplane..... :ermm:
;)

Wait Fred!!!!!!!!!! Don't throw it away!!!!!!!:ermm:

I just woke up from a cat nap...and thought about this.....

Try to soften it up a bit using one of Miss KE's ideas...Mix it with 1 pound of softened unsalted butter....Mix this with 1/2 gallon (softened) of the best vanilla ice cream you can find...refreeze it.

This winter place a couple of scoops, or more in a mug...add a little hot water and Rum to your taste....Hot Buttered Rum...For a long winter's night...

Have Fun!

I don't know if you're being serious or not UB....
But you definitely have my interest :)

Fred, it sounds as though you got an old package of brown sugar. If all the other solutions fail, buy some new stuff. If you need some brown sugar before you can get to the store, you can make your own.

For each cup of light brown sugar, pulse 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon molasses in a food processor until uniform. If you need dark brown sugar, do the same thing with 1 cup of granulated sugar, but use 2 tablespoons molasses.

I've never used a clay sugar "bear" to keep my brown sugar moist. Instead I have about a 2- by 2-inch piece of clay flowerpot that I ran through the dishwasher a few times. Same as the purchased moisture discs sold for the same purpose.

This is getting bookmarked. There's some great info here on how to soften it up, keep it soft, and/or turn it into a hot winter drink.

Thanks for all the info. I had no idea I was even supposed to keep it soft. It's been sitting in the fridge, which probably doesn't help. But it was a brick when I bought it anyway....

You can buy sugar hammers & knives? - from the days when sugar always came as a brick - the one lump or two years. I have been known to use my meat mallet on a packet of brown sugar.

Nuke it - it will be fine. The molasses has turned to glue - it just needs moisture!

THANKS KATIE E. - - - that will come in handy! :chef:

:ROFLMAO::LOL:sorry for laughing, but the thought of you slamming around a brick of brown sugar in your kitchen has made my eyes tear!!!:ROFLMAO::LOL:
I agree with UB, buy a fresh box!!!

LOL Kathe I had the same pic.... the dogs lookin' at him sideways having a cage-fight in the kitchen with a box of brown sugar..... :LOL:
Great minds I tell ya!
:cool:

Katie E. Has shared a great idea. I don't even buy brown sugar anymore, because the kind I make myself in the food processor is so moist and tasty...it's actually much better than the brown sugar I can buy.

Wait Fred!!!!!!!!!! Don't throw it away!!!!!!!:ermm:

I just woke up from a cat nap...and thought about this.....

Try to soften it up a bit using one of Miss KE's ideas...Mix it with 1 pound of softened unsalted butter....Mix this with 1/2 gallon (softened) of the best vanilla ice cream you can find...refreeze it.

This winter place a couple of scoops, or more in a mug...add a little hot water and Rum to your taste....Hot Buttered Rum...For a long winter's night...

Have Fun!

Oh man.. that sounds very decadent..

Once you get it soft again, put it in an absolutely airtight container. I have some in the pantry in a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid - it's been fine for quite some time, and it's generally pretty humid here.

Back
Top Bottom