"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 12-18-2008, 04:47 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Chutneys?

One of my new years resolutions is to develop my cooking even more. And one of the ways i think i can is by making my own chutneys.

I would just like to ask a few questions on the subject . How long can you keep a chutney once it its done , and how do you sterlise a jar .

Thank you

Old 12-18-2008, 07:13 AM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Chutney is one of those things that I have always thought to be "way out there" and beyond me. Last night, I saw either Tyler or guy, forgot which one, make chutney. It seemed doable.

A quick search syas that there are a lot of chutney recipies out there. There are some opinions on how long it keeps. This should be helpful on sterilization.

My somewhat educated guess, and in my own opinion, (have I covered myself well enough), Chutneys seem to fall in the jelly / jam class. If prepared properly and canned properly, they should last a long time. In the second aticle that i linked, they were comfortable with over a year.

Hope this helps.

AC

Old 12-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
Head Chef

You keep it in the refrigerator.

If you are thinking about 'canning' it, then you need a canning recipe and a Boiling Water Canner to pasteurize the food in the jar. Instructions and the type of tools you need can be found in the Ball Blue Book of Preserving (less than $5 in most stores).
Old 12-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Mango chutney is about the only chutney I make and I store it in any glass containers such as coffee bottles etc, whatever we save up during the year and it's good for two-three years on the shelf in the pantry.

It's pretty indestructible stuff. Sometimes I might melt some wax over it to seal it before screwing the lid on
Old 12-18-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
Head Chef

Interesting. Sealing in wax hasn't been considered safe here in the USA for 30 years or better, and the same for not pasteurizing jams and jellies. I guess it keeps up the immune system though.

Tags
None