Cranberry Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you feel about cranberry sauce?

• Total voters
I have made it so many different ways I can't keep up with them all.

horseradish kind you freeze first
can of whole cranberries/oranges chopped w-juice/granny smith apple/walnuts
recipe posted above that I run through my meat grinder
plain ol' out of the can
some kind of mixture with shallots and port (wish I could find that recipe again!)
and more I'm sure I don't even remember

There's just "something" about that plain ol' out of the can that takes me back - ridges and all!!!!! Maybe this year I'll actually get a can of it to see if people prefer that over anything homemade.

HELP. I joined this community because I'm having Cranberry issues. No matter how many times I tried, I can't get it to gel anymore. I used to, but not now.

My recipe is straight off eHow.com. 12 ounces fresh cranberries. One cup water. One cup sugar. Boil. Pop. Strain. Refrigerate.

I noticed that someone said to let cool completely before refrigerating. Does this help it thicken because mine is always runny. Any help I can get to make it gel properly would be greatly appreciated.

MS

strathound said:
HELP. I joined this community because I'm having Cranberry issues. No matter how many times I tried, I can't get it to gel anymore. I used to, but not now.

My recipe is straight off eHow.com. 12 ounces fresh cranberries. One cup water. One cup sugar. Boil. Pop. Strain. Refrigerate.

I noticed that someone said to let cool completely before refrigerating. Does this help it thicken because mine is always runny. Any help I can get to make it gel properly would be greatly appreciated.

MS
I don't usually strain mine and I do make sue to cool it befor refridgerating. Best of luck!

corazon90 said:
LOL!!!
How do you make yours kadesma?
I make mine just like Andy M
Cora, I just boil the cranberries in about a cup of water per package, with about a cup and a half of sugar ( this is how I like it a little sweeter) I zest one orange per bag of berries and then cut up the orange and chop it fine and add to the berries as they cook I boil it about 5-10 minutes or more til I'm happy with the consistincy and then I put it into a ricer most of the time. This year I'm going to not rice it but leave it have more texture and some whole berries in it. The change will be nice. I'm also going to make a cranberry-pineapple relish that has grapefruit juice and a liqueur either Triple sec or Grand Marnier..Want to see how that goes over :LOL: I do let it cool completely before storing in the refrigerator.

kadesma:)

Ooh KitchenElf...you need to find that recipe for "some kind of mixture with shallots and port". That sounds different and wonderful.

houses are tiny here, as are kitchens. I've got pretty close to zip for freezer space, so i usually buy 3 or 4 kilo's to make a big batch, and then can it. i sometimes open up a jar and use it as a jam. yummy.

strathound - maybe you just need to boil it longer. ??? good luck.

Half Baked said:
Ooh KitchenElf...you need to find that recipe for "some kind of mixture with shallots and port". That sounds different and wonderful.

You know what? I am such a dork (NO ONE say a word here :ROFLMAO: ) I didn't look last year and I don't know why. OK, so I'm sitting here "thinking" - where could I have gotten that recipe - so I google it - WHAT a dork - same place I got my Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding - here is the recipe for that CRANBERRY SAUCE WITH ROASTED SHALLOTS AND PORT that apparently I was too overwhelmed to think about googling last year! Thanks for catching me a few days before I have my meltdown!

strathound said:

MS

I wish I could help but I don't remember mine ever really getting to the "gel" stage, really. Is it really runny and thin?

strathound said:

MS

Cook beyond when the berries pop. Continue to simmer for a bit and the liquid will begin to thicken. I prefer to serve it as is rather than straining to make a jello-o like sauce.

My SIL make it with Jello..

1 pkg each of Strawberry and Cherry Jello
1 cup or less of sugar
2 cups of hot water to dissolve the above..
let it set up in the refrigerator
then add

( grind or process)
2 cups fresh cranberries
1 large orange with peel
1 large apple with peel
1 medium can (8 oz?) crushed Pineapple
nuts if desired.

Last edited:
I grew up with the canned jiggler sauce and never liked it!

Here is a great recipe I have used the past few years. It's is definetly a gravy-like sauce. I use it in the same way, drizzling a bit over sliced turkey. It does get pretty thick if you chill it, but I like it warm!

Water
Sugar
Not From Concentrate Orange Juice
Grand Marnier
Fresh Cranberries
Freshly Ground Cinnamon
Pure Vanilla Extract (or use a piece of vanilla bean)

Add sugar to taste (I just added it until the sauce was balanced to me).
I definetly let it cook too, letting the berries break down well, and then process/strain it. Very rich with excellent aromatics. I'll have to look up the proportions... for some reason it's not filed on my 'puter.

Tyler Florence has some great recipes!!!!! He's got one for Asian Chicken Wings that are to die for - very different than any other Asian wings I have ever had. Tyler is a keeper :in_love:

kitchenelf said:
Tyler Florence has some great recipes!!!!! He's got one for Asian Chicken Wings that are to die for - very different than any other Asian wings I have ever had. Tyler is a keeper :in_love:

I went and searched and he has 3 different recipes....which one is it kitch? You can pm me so we don't hijack the thread :)

kitchenelf said:
I wish I could help but I don't remember mine ever really getting to the "gel" stage, really. Is it really runny and thin?

Yeah, it's like cranberry soup. I made it once perfect. People raved. Then every year I've been trying to make it. And every year. Soup. This year, they mocked me. LOL. So, I'm determined. I've already cooked one test batch yesterday. Soup. I'm going to try reducing the amount of water a bit and increasing the cranberries. I'll probably also increase the sugar a bit and let the water boil longer in the hope that the sugar will break down and react with the cranberry juice to get it to turn into a jelly. Jellies are supposed to be easy right?

I think I'm just doing something fundamentally wrong here. Should I add a little corn starch or something to get it to thicken?

MS

Strathound, my only thoughts are, longer cooking, less water and a touch more sugar. You could do without the sugar if you reduce the water though. Try a batch with less water and more cooking time and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom