Cranberry Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you feel about cranberry sauce?

• Total voters
I love it and look forward to making it each year. I had some yesterday at a luncheon and got a second helping and left the pumpkin pie to my fellow lunchmate.:LOL:

kadesma

Gotta give those Pilgrims (do I hear John Wayne in the background?) credit, for pairing an almost bland turkey with a fruity side. I like the jiggly stuff out of a can, as it's a tradition. Wouldn't turn down fresh cranberries either. I can't have a Thanksgiving turkey w/o it.

Last edited:
I love fresh cranberry relish AND sauce. sometimes I even make both for T'Day! I use orange in both, as well as the cranberries. :)

My recipe is a combo of the recipes on the back of the Ocean Spray bag.

A bag of cranberries
A cup of OJ
A half cup of sugar

Simmer 'til the berries pop and the liquid thickens. Cool completely before refrigerating.

corazon90 said:
Yum! Cranberry sauce is my favorite part of the Thanksgiving feast! I make plenty for leftovers and eat it out of the tupperware with a big spoon.
You sure you've got the right mom Cora?:LOL: You do the same thing I do..I hide it just for me...

kadesma:ohmy:

Can someone post their recipe for cranberry/orange relish? I had some one year a long time ago that I thought was amazing, but I dont remember much else besides that!

I wouldn't want to eat turkey without it. It's replaced gravy as my favorite Thanksgiving side dish. Leftovers never last. After I'm sick a tired of turkey I'll make peanut butter and cranberry sandwiches.

I use the cranberry orange relish recipe on the bag - cranberries, naval orange, a bit of sugar - all in the food processor - and make a few days before Thanksgiving. Ds puts the relish and ambrosia together to make his own cranberry salad.

I buy many many bags and keep them frozen throughout the year so I can serve relish with chicken, turkey and pork. I love homemade relish.....mmmmm, on turkey sandwiches.

The cranberries aren't the same after being frozen but they sure are better than canned, imho.

I, too, buy lots of bags of them and freeze them for use throughout the year. I always serve them in some form at Thanksgiving. When our children were at home, several of them would only eat the can-shaped version so that went on the table with the homemade.

Cranberries and sweet potatoes are the two dishes I like to "play with" at Thanksgiving. This year I'm making a chutney with the cranberries, using chopped apple and raisins. The sweet potatoes will be mixed with roasted banana.

This recipe is Awesome!! I had it at someones house about 10 years ago and it immediately replaced the sauce I had been making for years. It calls for the (no longer available) 16 oz bag. I buy two and freeze the extra to use later.

I like to make this a few days b4 to allow the flavors to blend.

Cranberry Chutney
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups water
1 16 oz bag rinsed cranberries
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup red wine
1 1/2 teaspooon curry powder
2 Tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger root
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco

Bring sugar and water to a boil in saucepan.

Add cranberries and cook until the skins start popping. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer, uncovered until the chutney begins to thicken - about 15 minutes.

Cool and chill in fridge.

I make it the way my mother did. Its just:

1 bag of cranberries, rinsed and drained
1 navel orange, rinsed and I take just a little of the peel off
1/2 to 1 cup sugar

Put the cranberries and cut up orange through a grinder, and add sugar to your taste.

I like to make it at least 2 to 3 days ahead.

Back
Top Bottom