"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2019, 06:22 AM   #1
Cook

Cucumber relish

Hi. Summer is fast approaching and it's time to get the barbie out. From my childhood I loved the bicks relishes. One of my favorite was cucumber relish.

How to make it? Get a jar filled with sliced cucumber with brine(salt and water) told it takes up to 4 days for the process. In a fridge or on a shelf?

That's all I know water to salt ratio? any other ingredients? Anyone can help me out with a recipe?

TIA

Desmond.

Maybe some spices and things. Also just seen pickling cucumbers! Why. cant I use ordinary ones?

otuatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

There's no need to post again - the post shows up in New Posts and is on the main page. I'm guessing you didn't get a response because your post is a little confusing. Here in the United States we call that pickle relish or sweet relish and we don't have a brand called Bick's, that I'm aware of.

There are quite a few recipes online. I can only guess whether they're similar to what you're looking for. Here's one: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...r-relish-11147

Pickling cucumbers are smaller, so they fit in the jars better, and they have fewer seeds, so they're less watery. You can use regular cucumbers if you prefer. Hope this helps.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I believe that "regular cucumbers" for someone from York would be what we call "English Cucumbers" on this side of the pond.

Bick's is a well known brand of pickles and relishes in Canada. Here's a link to all of their types of relish: All Bick's products | Relish
Old 05-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I believe that "regular cucumbers" for someone from York would be what we call "English Cucumbers" on this side of the pond.

Bick's is a well known brand of pickles and relishes in Canada. Here's a link to all of their types of relish: All Bick's products | Relish
Thanks
Old 05-20-2019, 04:57 AM   #5
Cook

I didn't get a reply because my post was confusing? it would not be if you lived in England. I know this is a forum that spans many countries but do I need to swap lift for elevator, Tap for faucet and pavement for sidewalk?

In the UK everyone knows what a relish is and everyone will know about a company called Bicks.

Bicks may be a big company in Canada but it was big in the UK. Most people on this side of the pond assume the company went out of business. I note they have dropped the cucumber one. but it doesn't answer my original question.
otuatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I make this and I know GotGarlic makes it because we've talked about making an Asian skewed one with rice vinegar and fish sauce a long time ago when I think we were discussing banchan or something similar. But, we don't call this method a relish. Where I'm from in the south they were called pickled cucumber.

Your chips are our french fries, which means an entirely different prep to us. Just like biscuits means cookies to you, but to us is something entirely different. A relish to us is more like chopped (or shredded like in the recipe GG linked) bits, not slices. No need to get testy. Even though there are worldwide members on this site, most of us are from North America.

Personally, I just slice Persian cucumbers (or you could use the English/hothouse cucumbers) about 1/8 to 1/4 thick depending on my mood, and place them in a plastic container with about a 1:1 mixture of white vinegar, water, with some salt and sugar thrown in. Sorry I can't give an exact ratio of the water/vinegar or amounts of the salt and sugar, depends on how much liquid/cucumbers I'm using and what tastes right. This is something I learned as a child and mother never used a recipe. Let them sit in the refrigerator for several hours at least or they can be stored up to a couple of weeks if they last that long, which they usually don't. They get more vinegar tasting the longer they sit.

I would let the English/hothouse cucumbers sit at least 8 hours or overnight simply because they are a bit more dense than Persian cucumbers. Obviously, if you want more vinegar tang, then the longer the better.

You can use white vinegar or rice vinegar if you don't want too much vinegar taste. You could even experiment with other vinegars. Add some dill or other fresh herb if you want. I usually add some thinly sliced onions as well.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:09 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
So, otuatail, what you are looking to make is slices of cucumber that are pickled, possibly with some spices? Here in Canada, we call that sliced pickle. It never occurred to me that that was what you might mean by relish.

I haven't made pickles or relish myself (other than chutney). Do you want to use the vinegar method or the brine method that involves lactic acid fermentation?
Old 05-20-2019, 07:51 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by otuatail View Post
I didn't get a reply because my post was confusing? it would not be if you lived in England. I know this is a forum that spans many countries but do I need to swap lift for elevator, Tap for faucet and pavement for sidewalk?
Some in the US use the term "lift" for utility elevators. We also use "Tap" more than faucet. And pavement can be a sidewalk, or a deck or a parking garage.

Quote:
In the UK everyone knows what a relish is and everyone will know about a company called Bicks.
We all know what "Relishes" are. But I have never heard of Bicks.

Quote:
Bicks may be a big company in Canada but it was big in the UK. Most people on this side of the pond assume the company went out of business. I note they have dropped the cucumber one. but it doesn't answer my original question.
You asked a question that has so many answers for your dish we could never type them all out. You were given a logical polite answer. Google.

BTW. That English "attitude" has got to go friend. Its not becoming and its rude.

Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cucumber