Dijon mustard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snickerdoodle

Senior Cook
What makes mustard "dijon"? I have a recipe that calls for dijon mustard but all I have is regular yellow mustard. Is there something I can add that would make it a suitable substitution for dijon mustard?

What makes mustard "dijon"? I have a recipe that calls for dijon mustard but all I have is regular yellow mustard. Is there something I can add that would make it a suitable substitution for dijon mustard?

Dijon is a style of mustard created in Dijon France. It's made with white wine and other flavorings. I wouldn't try to doctor yellow mustard for a recipe. Just us it as is.

Dijon refers to the city in France which has long been famous for makng mustards and where this type of mustard was invented.

Dijon is usually made with white wine and uses brown mustard seeds and spices.

To me it tastes entirely different that yellow mustard, so the question about using yellow mustard depends on what you are making.

I see you live in the Quad Cities. Their high schools were in our athletic conference when I was growing up. CRW.

Last edited:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]For 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, use 1 tablespoon dry mustard mixed with 1 teaspoon water, 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise and a pinch of sugar.

I would do this. I'm not sure if any yellow mustard substitution would give you a similar taste.
[/FONT]

Thanks! It's for a pork chop marinade so maybe I'll just use the yellow mustard as it is. The other ingredients are brown sugar, apple juice and worcestershire... sound OK?

Actually "most" Dijon mustard is NOT made with wine. It's made with wine vinegar.

Grey Poupon, which most folks in US consider synonymous with Dijon mustard, IS made with wine. but none of the better brands I'm familiar with use wine.

Dijon is the capital city of Burgundy in France (it used to be a separate duchy from France). Most of the great mustards come from the Burgundy region, if not the city of Dijon, itself. My personal favorite mustard, Fallot, is made in Beaune (with no wine).

BTW, the Grey Poupon that is sold in US is now made here. fwiw.

The easiest other brand of Dijon mustard to find in US markets is MAILLE. It's pretty pungent. (and gooooood!) :)

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]For 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, use 1 tablespoon dry mustard mixed with 1 teaspoon water, 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise and a pinch of sugar.

I would do this. I'm not sure if any yellow mustard substitution would give you a similar taste.
[/FONT]

That's what I would do. But, what is the mayo and sugar for? I would leave those out. I would use white wine if I did't have any wine vinegar.

That is actually a recipe for DIY Dijon. If I were cooking with this, I may leave out the mayo, but you might have to add some oil to get the same texture.
I was trying to approximate the substitution of yellow with Dijon.

That is actually a recipe for DIY Dijon. If I were cooking with this, I may leave out the mayo, but you might have to add some oil to get the same texture.
I was trying to approximate the substitution of yellow with Dijon.

Ok, that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom