DURKEE Broil-N-Grill Seasoning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black chef

Senior Cook
i don't know if you folks have ever used this seasoning by Durkee, but it's the absolute best... giving your red meat or poultry a PERFECT right-off-the-grill taste.

but, Durkee doesn't make it anymore...:(

i have one bottle left and it's already open. does anyone here know of a similar grill-tasting seasoning or does anyone know a place that can "break" a seasoning blend to give you proportions?

Sorry BC, but I have no clue.

Googled the product but all I got was a previous posting of yours on DC.

The only product by Durkee I use is the sauce, which I have several jars of, and use on sandwiches as a spread. I like it but think that stems from the fact that it was used a lot when I was a kid.

Sorry, off topic.

Went to the Durkee site, and there sure is no mention of it.

I would write the company. It is probably a futile errand but the effort might get you something, at least worth a few e-mail key strokes in my opinion.

Would read the label. That will probably also not be of much use as they carefully tell you about all of the poly-phosphonates and other chemicals and then say 'selected spices' or something like that. Phooey. But worth the gander.

And would then taste the stuff, straight out of the bottle. And then dilute it a tad with water. (That may sound strange but flavors are sometimes released with a bit of water.) And, thusly, try to figure out what is in it.

I fear the palate is the only recourse here.

Also try the bit you have left with friends and family, see what they think.

And then experiment.

You may never find the 'secret' recipe, but along the way you may come up with a really good seasoning.

That is all I can offer, sorry.

Last edited:
aunt dot, thanks for the advice.

i've ALREADY contacted both Durkee & Tone's products to ask about the product.

they do NOT make it anymore and have NONE in storage.

upon further research, i found a link that referenced a trademark violation of some type... i'm thinking they pulled the product for "other" reasons because they couldn't keep it on the shelves; it was selling like crazy.

ingredients:
salt, spices, dehydrated onion, hydrolyzed corn, soy & wheat protein, dehydrated garlic, paprika (for color), Red 40 Lake, yellow 5 lake, blue 2 lake, less than 2% silicon dioxide to prevent caking.

now that i think of it, what ingredient actually adds the wonderful, "grill-like" taste?

Sorry BC, I think it is included in the 'spices'.

It ain't the lakes, that's for darn sure.

Guess it goes back to the old taste test. Sorry.

Take care.

Attention Black Chef...Today I was in my local "Wally World" and saw a product that was Durkee brand...one for chicken, one for beef, mesquite etc....was in a 6.2 oz bottle...is this the product you are talking about?

Hello black chef,

I found this site because I too was doing a "Google" search for Broil-n-Grill. I first learned about the stuff back around 1972 in SE Michigan where I grew up. At that time, I beleive it was "Franks" brand that owned B-n-G. My buddy had turned me onto the stuff which we would put on Hamburger patties and cook on the gas grill. It made the hamburger patties taste more like steak burgers. We luved the stuff. Then it went away for a long time. I think it was sold to another brand and was probably being sold at a different grocery chain. It later turned up again under the Durkee brand name around 1990 or 1995. I had gone to live in California, and my buddy (same one) who was still living in Michigan told me about it. I soon after visited and began making a habit of stocking up on the BnG so I could keep about a years supply on hand in California. Around 1998 me and my buddy had heard that BnG wasn't being made anymore (we called Durkee and asked them when we couldn't find it on the shelf at our regular store). We soon discovered an Albertsons that must have had a good supply of Broil-n-Grill left. On my very next visit to Michigan I shopped through all the local Albertsons and bought up all I could find, which wound up being about 10 shaker bottles. Using it as sparingly as I could ... I made it last up till now and I only have a small sample amount left in the last shaker (which I refuse to use). I have the same thought as you ... find a lab to get the stuff broken down to its basic "spice's".

My calls to Durkee have resulted in the same thing you reported, that its been discontinued.

I've wondered why Durkee would discontinue Broil-n-Grill and not sell the recipe to another company. Now this is just my speculation, but I think Durkee has used the combination of "spice's" in another of their products ... Durkee "Steak Dust". I spottd this stuff in a "Sams Club" and bought some on a hunch. It is not Broil-n-Grill but is has a very familiar quality to it. I figured I could make something close to BnG by using the "Steak Dust" as a foundation. I started with the Steak Dust and then added equal parts of Lawry's Seasoning Salt, Paprika and Ground Black Pepper. The result may not be exact but it is very close. See if you agree.

Last edited:
Scooterleg said:
Hello black chef,

I found this site because I too was doing a "Google" search for Broil-n-Grill. I first learned about the stuff back around 1972 in SE Michigan where I grew up. At that time, I beleive it was "Franks" brand that owned B-n-G. My buddy had turned me onto the stuff which we would put on Hamburger patties and cook on the gas grill. It made the hamburger patties taste more like steak burgers. We luved the stuff. Then it went away for a long time. I think it was sold to another brand and was probably being sold at a different grocery chain. It later turned up again under the Durkee brand name around 1990 or 1995. I had gone to live in California, and my buddy (same one) who was still living in Michigan told me about it. I soon after visited and began making a habit of stocking up on the BnG so I could keep about a years supply on hand in California. Around 1998 me and my buddy had heard that BnG wasn't being made anymore (we called Durkee and asked them when we couldn't find it on the shelf at our regular store). We soon discovered an Albertsons that must have had a good supply of Broil-n-Grill left. On my very next visit to Michigan I shopped through all the local Albertsons and bought up all I could find, which wound up being about 10 shaker bottles. Using it as sparingly as I could ... I made it last up till now and I only have a small sample amount left in the last shaker (which I refuse to use). I have the same thought as you ... find a lab to get the stuff broken down to its basic "spice's".

My calls to Durkee have resulted in the same thing you reported, that its been discontinued.

I've wondered why Durkee would discontinue Broil-n-Grill and not sell the recipe to another company. Now this is just my speculation, but I think Durkee has used the combination of "spice's" in another of their products ... Durkee "Steak Dust". I spottd this stuff in a "Sams Club" and bought some on a hunch. It is not Broil-n-Grill but is has a very familiar quality to it. I figured I could make something close to BnG by using the "Steak Dust" as a foundation. I started with the Steak Dust and then added equal parts of Lawry's Seasoning Salt, Paprika and Ground Black Pepper. The result may not be exact but it is very close. See if you agree.

Wow!!! it's good to see that i'm NOT alone in my praise for this product.

i did find a company that can break down the spices to see what ratios of what are being used, but they are MAD expensive, and i've declined NOT to move forward.

i'll try the "steak dust" you mentioned along with the additional seasoning salt/pepper blend.

what a great product.
what a sad ending to its marketing.

black chef said:
i don't know if you folks have ever used this seasoning by Durkee, but it's the absolute best... giving your red meat or poultry a PERFECT right-off-the-grill taste.

but, Durkee doesn't make it anymore...:(

i have one bottle left and it's already open. does anyone here know of a similar grill-tasting seasoning or does anyone know a place that can "break" a seasoning blend to give you proportions?

The ingredients are listed on the label. Why not make some yourself? I guess copycat should give it a whirl.

Ok ... StirBlue ... you are right, the ingredents are plainly listed right on the lable ... I'll quit horsing around and whip some up ... (black chef, why didn't YOU think of that?) he he he. Its just that second ingredient that I'm having the trouble with ... can you help with that?

Broil-n-Grill Ingredients: Salt, Spices, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, Soy and Wheat Gluten Protein, Granulated Garlic, Paprika, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Soybean, Cottonseed), Silicon Dioxide (fee flow agent), Artificial Color (FD&C; Red 40, Yellow #5, Blue #2).

Scooterleg said:
Ok ... StirBlue ... you are right, the ingredents are plainly listed right on the lable ... I'll quit horsing around and whip some up ... (black chef, why didn't YOU think of that?) he he he. Its just that second ingredient that I'm having the trouble with ... can you help with that?

Broil-n-Grill Ingredients: Salt, Spices, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, Soy and Wheat Gluten Protein, Granulated Garlic, Paprika, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Soybean, Cottonseed), Silicon Dioxide (fee flow agent), Artificial Color (FD&C; Red 40, Yellow #5, Blue #2).
Try Spices: instead of Spices, meaning maybe the spices listed after the word spices are the "spices".

use equal measures of each to see if it matches
the product that you are wanting.

Last edited:
I have an original bottle of the Frank's Foods BnG. The ingredients are slightly different.
"Contains: Salt, Black Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Power, Thyme, Allspice, Bay Leaves, Parsley, Paprika, Marjoram, Tricalcium Phosphate as free flow agent." It would be great if we could speculate on proportions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom