Favorite Condiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it is, but has a bit more flavor overall, and is a little more sharp.

For the longest time, it wasn't known outside of Sheffield(where my Father is from), the don't ship, and it really is a local thing to Yorkshire. It is quite fantastic though, especially for chips, Shepard/Cottage pie, and and another of my faves, Chip Butty.

When I lived in London, some of my mates really took a shine to it, but like you, had never heard of it.

Interesting! I love these little local produces and really interesting to read about. I'm surprised he never started shipping it far and wide because from your description it sounds even better than Worcestershire sauce and that's hard to beat! Are they still selling it in Sheffield? If so I'll have to pick up a bottle when I'm in the UK in May:chef:

Interesting! I love these little local produces and really interesting to read about. I'm surprised he never started shipping it far and wide because from your description it sounds even better than Worcestershire sauce and that's hard to beat! Are they still selling it in Sheffield? If so I'll have to pick up a bottle when I'm in the UK in May:chef:

They most certainly are.

When ever I go over(used to be once/twice a year)I would be REQUIRED to bring back about 20 bottles or so, lol. That and like a dozen bars of Wrights Soap.

I just wish there was a place to get a proper Scotch Egg, and proper Fish n' Chips here on the East Coast of the US.

They most certainly are.

When ever I go over(used to be once/twice a year)I would be REQUIRED to bring back about 20 bottles or so, lol. That and like a dozen bars of Wrights Soap.

I just wish there was a place to get a proper Scotch Egg, and proper Fish n' Chips here on the East Coast of the US.

Cool! That's going on the list of things to bring back on my next trip then:yum:

Oh it seems your very like me and craving many things from back home! Scotch Egg!!! Oh now your talking! I think we could go on and on about things we miss from back home. As we speak I have a bottle of HP sauce and Heinz salad cream on a plane coming back to Moscow:)

Cool! That's going on the list of things to bring back on my next trip then:yum:

Oh it seems your very like me and craving many things from back home! Scotch Egg!!! Oh now your talking! I think we could go on and on about things we miss from back home. As we speak I have a bottle of HP sauce and Heinz salad cream on a plane coming back to Moscow:)

I am from Bermuda, but my father is 100% hard A** Sheffield'r, but, my nan is still kicking, and is still living in the heart of Sheffield, so I go whenever I can. There are a LOT of things that I miss, and I am not even a native, lol.

Condiments are one thing in particular, even a decent Rose Marie sauce, can't find stateside, at all, or even anyone who know wth I am even talking about.

I FINALLY found some Great Indian places, fantastic by US standards, but I have had equally good Indian from carry away off London Road.

There are no proper pork sandwiches here.

I found a GREAT little U.K Store in Arlington that I can get my mushy peas, and stock up on Flake bars, so that is a help! And , the have imported Pork Pies, thaw and serve, and the pork jelly is spot on, texture is great, and i have 6 in the freezer now, but try to limit myself to one a month.

And what I wouldn't do for a Bakewell Tart. . . I LOVE them.

The HEINZ Product line in the US is slim picking too, can't get spotted dick(you can, but of another variety, and a lot of trips to the doctor), no beanz, salad cream, the line of soups is SORELY lacking, as I KNOW the US market would embrace the variety, and my fave, the HEINZ Ketchup w/ Indian Spices. SO DAMN GOOD!

The HEINZ Product line in the US is slim picking too, can't get spotted dick(you can, but of another variety, and a lot of trips to the doctor), no beanz, salad cream, the line of soups is SORELY lacking, as I KNOW the US market would embrace the variety, and my fave, the HEINZ Ketchup w/ Indian Spices. SO DAMN GOOD!
I have to give props to our local mega-mart. They do a really nice job of stocking foods from around the world. I can get almost everything Heinz makes, including beans and salad cream. I suspect it's also the only place in town that carries Ribena.

Having said that, the one British condiment I wish I could find more readily is Watkins Mushroom Ketchup. Despite the name, it's not so much a ketchup as it is a sauce with intense mushroom flavor. I fell in love with it in the UK, but can only buy it online in the states.

WatkinsMushroomKetchup.jpg

I have to give props to our local mega-mart. They do a really nice job of stocking foods from around the world. I can get almost everything Heinz makes, including beans and salad cream. I suspect it's also the only place in town that carries Ribena.

Having said that, the one British condiment I wish I could find more readily is Watkins Mushroom Ketchup. Despite the name, it's not so much a ketchup as it is a sauce with intense mushroom flavor. I fell in love with it in the UK, but can only buy it online in the states.

WatkinsMushroomKetchup.jpg

Pretty impressive, Steve! For real. Is it anything like the thicker, Mushroom Soy Sauce? It certainly seems to be the same color, and to be honest, I haven't ever seen that before.

...off topic, one of my old friends/partners, moved out to minnesota a few years ago, and opened Mendoberri. I have yet to make it out there to visit, but he has me pretty impressed with the food scene in a place that I really always though would be a meat and potato type of state.

Pretty impressive, Steve! For real. Is it anything like the thicker, Mushroom Soy Sauce? It certainly seems to be the same color, and to be honest, I haven't ever seen that before.

...off topic, one of my old friends/partners, moved out to minnesota a few years ago, and opened Mendoberri. I have yet to make it out there to visit, but he has me pretty impressed with the food scene in a place that I really always though would be a meat and potato type of state.
Mushroom ketchup is a thinnish sauce, about the consistency of Worcestershire. I don't know what's in it, but the flavors I can readily pick out are mushrooms, vinegar and salt. Good stuff on almost any cut of beef.

I know Mendoberri well. It's right across the street from one of my favorite wine shops. My wife and I eat there from time to time because they have a good selection of organic fare (and I'm a big fan of Chef Ulrich's salads). We also sometimes stop in for a nightcap on the way home from St. Paul.

Mushroom ketchup is a thinnish sauce, about the consistency of Worcestershire. I don't know what's in it, but the flavors I can readily pick out are mushrooms, vinegar and salt. Good stuff on almost any cut of beef.

I know Mendoberri well. It's right across the street from one of my favorite wine shops. My wife and I eat there from time to time because they have a good selection of organic fare (and I'm a big fan of Chef Ulrich's salads). We also sometimes stop in for a nightcap on the way home from St. Paul.

LOL, What a small world, I sent you a PM!

Back
Top Bottom