"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 03-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #81
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veri Similitude View Post
there is also an asian banana sauce that is very close to ketchup but with a small bite. recommended for folks who can't eat tomatoes but miss ketchup ---

what would be the other ingredients in said chutney?
1/4 c canola oil
36 curry leaves, roughly torn
2 t mustard seeds
2 t cumin seeds
12 dried red chiles
1/2 t turmeric
3.5 lb tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
1 9oz can tomato paste
2 T sugar
1.5 T kosher salt
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1 t sambhaar

Heat oil, curry leaves, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and chiles over medium-high heat for 2 min. Add turmeric, cook for 2 min longer. Add the reamining ingredients and cook for 10 minutes, mashing the tomatoes up against the sides a bit. Reduce to medium, and cook until jammy in consistency (about 30-35 min). Use on EVERYTHING.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire

Ranch Dressing with Buttermilk.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #83
Head Chef

HP Brown Sauce,Heinz Tomato Ketchup, English Mustard, Cackalacky Sauce.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #84
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
I went to a little gourmet shop yesterday and splurged on White Truffle Oil - I plan on using it sparingly on fish and vegetables. Have you had the pleasure of trying it? If you bought it, how did you use it? Thanks!
I used White Truffle infused oil on a dessert of sliced strawberries, lychee nuts and mint...it was divine!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #85
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Sweet Thai Chili Sauce, right out of the bottle, is one of my ALL time faves, and a staple in my pantry.

To make it something different, especially for crispy spring rolls9Viet Style) and Lumpia, Chili sauce, mirin, chopped cilantro.

Another fave is when ever I have leftover guacamole, puree it with Hidden Valley Ranch dressing for a cool AvoRanch Dip/Dressing.

I Love Durkee Famous sandwich/salad sauce. . .not quite dijonaise, not quite miracle whip and mustard, just a great spread for any/all Cold Cut Sammiches, pairs particularly well with rare roast beef, thin cut red onion, and Alpine Swiss.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

tatt, what brand of sweet chili sauce do you prefer?

i like mae ploy but dw thinks it's too sweet. she likes maggi brand.

along the lines of your post, i just happened to introduce my boy to sauces like you mentioned when dw makes panko breaded chicken cutlets.
some nights we dip the chicken in mae ploy, other nights in champagne maple mustard. great stuff!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #87
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

After more consideration...I have to say that Soy Sauce is my favorite condiment. It has been in my life since I was born and it screams comfort.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #88
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
tatt, what brand of sweet chili sauce do you prefer?

i like mae ploy but dw thinks it's too sweet. she likes maggi brand.

along the lines of your post, i just happened to introduce my boy to sauces like you mentioned when dw makes panko breaded chicken cutlets.
some nights we dip the chicken in mae ploy, other nights in champagne maple mustard. great stuff!
Mae Ploy for me, BT. I like that it does have a little sweetness to it, sounds silly, but easier to balance it out with so many of the Asian flavors that tens to be the typical sweet/sour/salty/spicy/nutty. I just LOVE the stuff.

Your champagne maple mustard reminded me(and yours sounds awesome too)I forgot to mention how much I like a nice Pomery Mustard too, or, if you can get some nice whole mustard seed, reduce a 2 pints of Guinness until down by about 1/3, cover mustard seeds just enough to make a wet sticky mess, and let it rest for a month or so. . . SO good.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #89
The Dude Abides

And I would be remiss for not mentioning:

Good Sourdough, lightly toasted, thick cut apple wood smoked bacon, some nice ripe tomato( or a Navajo heirloom), hydro Bib lettuce, sea salt and a schmear of this stuff= a pretty amazing BLT
Old 03-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #90
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Mae Ploy for me, BT. I like that it does have a little sweetness to it, sounds silly, but easier to balance it out with so many of the Asian flavors that tens to be the typical sweet/sour/salty/spicy/nutty. I just LOVE the stuff.

Your champagne maple mustard reminded me(and yours sounds awesome too)I forgot to mention how much I like a nice Pomery Mustard too, or, if you can get some nice whole mustard seed, reduce a 2 pints of Guinness until down by about 1/3, cover mustard seeds just enough to make a wet sticky mess, and let it rest for a month or so. . . SO good.
Off to buy some Guinness...

Tags
other