Favorite Condiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there is also an asian banana sauce that is very close to ketchup but with a small bite. recommended for folks who can't eat tomatoes but miss ketchup ---

what would be the other ingredients in said chutney? :chef:

1/4 c canola oil
36 curry leaves, roughly torn
2 t mustard seeds
2 t cumin seeds
12 dried red chiles
1/2 t turmeric
3.5 lb tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
1 9oz can tomato paste
2 T sugar
1.5 T kosher salt
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1 t sambhaar

Heat oil, curry leaves, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and chiles over medium-high heat for 2 min. Add turmeric, cook for 2 min longer. Add the reamining ingredients and cook for 10 minutes, mashing the tomatoes up against the sides a bit. Reduce to medium, and cook until jammy in consistency (about 30-35 min). Use on EVERYTHING.

I went to a little gourmet shop yesterday and splurged on White Truffle Oil - I plan on using it sparingly on fish and vegetables. Have you had the pleasure of trying it? If you bought it, how did you use it? Thanks!

I used White Truffle infused oil on a dessert of sliced strawberries, lychee nuts and mint...it was divine!

Sweet Thai Chili Sauce, right out of the bottle, is one of my ALL time faves, and a staple in my pantry.

To make it something different, especially for crispy spring rolls9Viet Style) and Lumpia, Chili sauce, mirin, chopped cilantro.

Another fave is when ever I have leftover guacamole, puree it with Hidden Valley Ranch dressing for a cool AvoRanch Dip/Dressing.

I Love Durkee Famous sandwich/salad sauce. . .not quite dijonaise, not quite miracle whip and mustard, just a great spread for any/all Cold Cut Sammiches, pairs particularly well with rare roast beef, thin cut red onion, and Alpine Swiss.

tatt, what brand of sweet chili sauce do you prefer?

i like mae ploy but dw thinks it's too sweet. she likes maggi brand.

along the lines of your post, i just happened to introduce my boy to sauces like you mentioned when dw makes panko breaded chicken cutlets.
some nights we dip the chicken in mae ploy, other nights in champagne maple mustard. great stuff!

After more consideration...I have to say that Soy Sauce is my favorite condiment. It has been in my life since I was born and it screams comfort.

tatt, what brand of sweet chili sauce do you prefer?

i like mae ploy but dw thinks it's too sweet. she likes maggi brand.

along the lines of your post, i just happened to introduce my boy to sauces like you mentioned when dw makes panko breaded chicken cutlets.
some nights we dip the chicken in mae ploy, other nights in champagne maple mustard. great stuff!

Mae Ploy for me, BT. I like that it does have a little sweetness to it, sounds silly, but easier to balance it out with so many of the Asian flavors that tens to be the typical sweet/sour/salty/spicy/nutty. I just LOVE the stuff.

Your champagne maple mustard reminded me(and yours sounds awesome too)I forgot to mention how much I like a nice Pomery Mustard too, or, if you can get some nice whole mustard seed, reduce a 2 pints of Guinness until down by about 1/3, cover mustard seeds just enough to make a wet sticky mess, and let it rest for a month or so. . . SO good.

And I would be remiss for not mentioning:

baconnaise3pack.jpg

Good Sourdough, lightly toasted, thick cut apple wood smoked bacon, some nice ripe tomato( or a Navajo heirloom), hydro Bib lettuce, sea salt and a schmear of this stuff= a pretty amazing BLT

Mae Ploy for me, BT. I like that it does have a little sweetness to it, sounds silly, but easier to balance it out with so many of the Asian flavors that tens to be the typical sweet/sour/salty/spicy/nutty. I just LOVE the stuff.

Your champagne maple mustard reminded me(and yours sounds awesome too)I forgot to mention how much I like a nice Pomery Mustard too, or, if you can get some nice whole mustard seed, reduce a 2 pints of Guinness until down by about 1/3, cover mustard seeds just enough to make a wet sticky mess, and let it rest for a month or so. . . SO good.

Off to buy some Guinness...

And I would be remiss for not mentioning:

baconnaise3pack.jpg

Good Sourdough, lightly toasted, thick cut apple wood smoked bacon, some nice ripe tomato( or a Navajo heirloom), hydro Bib lettuce, sea salt and a schmear of this stuff= a pretty amazing BLT

I found it overly salty. The bacon flavor was spot on, but the salt content...:ermm:

YES. Brown is so much bolder, the yellow is such a nice mild variety, I fear it would get lost.

Thanks, Tatt! I'll use the brown. Shrek is trying to push me out the door for the Guinness...:rolleyes: he thinks a month is too long...;)

You can do it in a couple of weeks, or to really rush it along, add the seeds in while still finishing the reduction, but , the bite/strength comes from the time, imo.

You can do it in a couple of weeks, or to really rush it along, add the seeds in while still finishing the reduction, but , the bite/strength comes from the time, imo.

Oh, he'll wait...I'll put it in two jars, one he can test and the other he has to leave alone. And, I'm in for the night, tomorrow is hunting and gathering day.:LOL:

wow, i can almost taste it. reduced guinness and whole mustard?! i'm a mustard freak, having almost a dozen at home at the moment. maille wholegrain is a fave, and it seems to go the quickest when i cook with it, from putting a crust on pork tenderloins baked with sour apples and sweet onions, to adding a dollop to a nice cheese and veggie platter.

Oh, he'll wait...I'll put it in two jars, one he can test and the other he has to leave alone. And, I'm in for the night, tomorrow is hunting and gathering day.:LOL:

I have done a LOT of experimenting with this, and I will offer up a couple of my favorite "tweaks"...a little bit of brown sugar helps round out the bitterness, but added after the redux. Also, for what it['s worth, as NOT a condiment, this mustard with the addition of garlic, and fresh chopped rosemary, and a splash of red wine vinegar make an awesome rub for smaller lamb cuts, I do shanks(cheap and cheerful), kind of a mix of French(where mustard is served with lamb v. mint)and I guess Irish, lol. It really lends its' self to proper bangers too. Wrap your Irish sausage in puff pastry, egg wash and a really light sprinkle of caraway, bake until golden, slice and serve with a side of the mustard.

Back
Top Bottom