Favorite Hot Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Brutal Bajan
brutal-bajan-large.jpg

or

Who Dares Burns
p29b.jpg

This is an authentic, homemade Trinidadian Hot Sauce given to my husband by one of the locals while he was there-----it's got heat so be careful. A little bit will go a long way but the flavor is wonderful

Trinidadian Pepper Sauce

1 pound of habanero peppers
1 teaspoon of salt
1 garlic bulb
1 pint of vinegar (I used apple cider but any is fine)
1 pint of Lousiana hot sauce (I used Tabasco but any will do--this is used for color and preservative)

Add onion (I lucked out as Vidalia were in season) and cilantro to your taste.

Do not add anything that has water of juices like tomatoes.

Blend everything in the blender.

Important not to refrigerate. If you do, the sauce loses its heat. Also important, never dip into the sauce with spoons that have food, as this will cause bacteria to grow. (This was the Trinidadian's words)

I believe that I cut the recipe by 1/2 but you can play with it anyway that you want.

*** if you decide to cut up your habaneros before adding them to the food processor be sure to wear gloves and don't touch any part of your face

I tried the hot sauce on an orange and it was actually pretty interesting. At first it tasted like BBQ sauce, then you got the orange, then the heat. The orange I used was pretty sweet, next time I'll try a different variety.

What's the difference between Sambal and Sriracha?

Lee

"Sambal" basically means "sauce." There are lots of different kinds, using all kinds of ingredients. Sambal Oelik, Sambal Manis, Sambal Bajek and Sambak Tumis are just a few types.

They all are chili based (that I know of). Oelek is just chilkis while others add shrimp, garlic, sugar, spices, nuts, onion, ginger, tamarind, mango, etc.

Sriracha is a sauce made from chili, garlic, sugar vinegar and salt.

I don't think sambals use vinegar, but they might. And the sambals I have used have been thicker than Sriracha.

Ahhhh, okay, thanks, jenny!

I have Sambal Oelik and I just checked the ingredients. It does have chii, salt and vinegar, but yes, it is thick - a paste. And verrrrrrrrrry hot.

Is Sriracha also very very hot? I'm a Frank's girl, but would like to try things with different flavors, if they ARE different.

Lee

qsis, i think you'd love sriracha. it's not much hotter than franks', but definitely has a different flavor. as frank's tastes vinegary and garlicy to me, sriracha tastes just like a certain type of thai pepper.

but it's not for bathing food in, unless you really like heat. it's more a "coupla drops 'll do ya" type of sauce.

Ahhhh, okay, thanks, jenny!

I have Sambal Oelik and I just checked the ingredients. It does have chii, salt and vinegar, but yes, it is thick - a paste. And verrrrrrrrrry hot.

Is Sriracha also very very hot? I'm a Frank's girl, but would like to try things with different flavors, if they ARE different.

Lee

IMO it's not very hot. To me, no hotter than Frank's. But it tastes very different. Definitely worth a try.

We use several different hot sauces here at Casa de Hoot. It depends on what we are eating....I make my own, as well.
I been working on a habañero hot sauce recipe but so far, I have met with limited success getting the balance of flavors just right.
When I find the balance, I will let y'all know.

Jenny and BT: I bought a bottle of sriracha today and tried a couple of drops on a saltine. Are you guys nuts???? That stuff is x!&* hot! WAAAAAAAAAAY hotter than Frank's!

Nice flavor, but holy .... COW! (cough!)

I'm bummed.

When my cat gets off my lap, I should take a picture of my bottle and see if it's the same stuff that you guys are saying isn't any hotter than Frank's.

Lee

They are talking about huy fong there's a pic of it on a thread I started in ingredients please help...
I'll look for it after I get the kids in bed.

Well, after seeing all the sriracha lovers here I decided to revisit it last night since I had a scallop recipe I wanted to try that specified it. I have to admit that, as a sauce ingredient at least, it was much better than I remembered it.

I still don't think I'd enjoy it on my morning eggs like I do some of my other favorites, but as an ingredient it performed well.

If I'm looking for pure heat, the most potent I've found is Jamaican Hellfire Sauce - Red. I'm a big fan of Tobasco original. Louisiana Hot Sauce and Franks have a bit too much vinager flavor for me, but Franks is good on hot-wings. I also lhave tried Melinda's Habenero sauce but found it a bit too sweet for my tastes. Interestingly enough, my first experience with habeneroes surprized me. They were a very sweet flavor, once you got past the heat. I prefer a sharp tang in my tomatoes and hot sauces rather than a sweet flavor.

But like everyone else here, everything I'm stating is predicated on the knowledge that my favorite flavors are mine. It still amazes me that some find Frank's Hot sauce to have less vinegar flavor than Tobasco while for me it's the opposite. Just goes to show you that everything is subjective in the world of human tastebuds. We are all more or less sensetive to differing flavors, and this should be our guide.

But if you should try Jamaican Hellfire Sauce, be carefull with the stuff. It's hot! At least it is to me.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

The bottle I bought is pictured in the middle. Is that the kind you get, jenny?

Lee

Clay's Kitchen : Clay's Kitchen

Yes! The rooster.

In reply to Goodweed, so many sauces add extra capsaicin to make them (IMO) gratuitously hot. Someone gave me a few bottles from different makers with those gross names but they all contained exactlly the same ingredients and tasted exactly the same -- no taste, just burn.

Try Sambal Oelek Ground Fresh Chili Paste. That stuff is so hot! My husband and exchange student both love it. There is also a similar one that is the same brand but called a Chili Garlic sauce or something like that. It is very good. Just don't use too much at once.

I tried to post a link but I guess I am too new and can't do it yet. But you can do a google search and it will pull it up.

Any chili sauce product put out by Huy Fong (aka "the rooster") is terrific, authentic, & very well made.

I always have a jar of their chili-garlic paste in the fridge, sometimes along with the regular chili paste &/or their chili paste with onions. Also currently have a squeeze bottle of their sriracha sauce in the fridge as well.

I remember Saveur magazine did an article on them a few years ago, & it was very interesting to read how dedicated they are to their products.

The Jamaican Hellfire sauce is supposed to be watered down with 2 parts water and one part vinegar to make a good sauce. It is not really a hot sauce per say, but a concentrated bottle that you turn into a large batch of hot sauce. It is a great addition to various dishes and does have a fair amount of peppers in it. It's just concentrated down to a rediculous level, hence the instructions to dilute it. I just made the mistake of using it directly on my plate. I didn't do that a second time.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom