"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 02-29-2008, 08:38 PM   #31
Head Chef

Jenny and BT: I bought a bottle of sriracha today and tried a couple of drops on a saltine. Are you guys nuts???? That stuff is x!&* hot! WAAAAAAAAAAY hotter than Frank's!

Nice flavor, but holy .... COW! (cough!)

I'm bummed.

When my cat gets off my lap, I should take a picture of my bottle and see if it's the same stuff that you guys are saying isn't any hotter than Frank's.

Lee

Old 02-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
They are talking about huy fong there's a pic of it on a thread I started in ingredients please help...
I'll look for it after I get the kids in bed.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #33
Master Chef

Well, after seeing all the sriracha lovers here I decided to revisit it last night since I had a scallop recipe I wanted to try that specified it. I have to admit that, as a sauce ingredient at least, it was much better than I remembered it.

I still don't think I'd enjoy it on my morning eggs like I do some of my other favorites, but as an ingredient it performed well.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #34
Master Chef

I personally don't find sriracha that hot.... seriously.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #35
Master Chef

If I'm looking for pure heat, the most potent I've found is Jamaican Hellfire Sauce - Red. I'm a big fan of Tobasco original. Louisiana Hot Sauce and Franks have a bit too much vinager flavor for me, but Franks is good on hot-wings. I also lhave tried Melinda's Habenero sauce but found it a bit too sweet for my tastes. Interestingly enough, my first experience with habeneroes surprized me. They were a very sweet flavor, once you got past the heat. I prefer a sharp tang in my tomatoes and hot sauces rather than a sweet flavor.

But like everyone else here, everything I'm stating is predicated on the knowledge that my favorite flavors are mine. It still amazes me that some find Frank's Hot sauce to have less vinegar flavor than Tobasco while for me it's the opposite. Just goes to show you that everything is subjective in the world of human tastebuds. We are all more or less sensetive to differing flavors, and this should be our guide.

But if you should try Jamaican Hellfire Sauce, be carefull with the stuff. It's hot! At least it is to me.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #36
Head Chef

The bottle I bought is pictured in the middle. Is that the kind you get, jenny?

Lee

Clay's Kitchen : Clay's Kitchen
Old 03-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
The bottle I bought is pictured in the middle. Is that the kind you get, jenny?

Lee

Clay's Kitchen : Clay's Kitchen
Yes! The rooster.

In reply to Goodweed, so many sauces add extra capsaicin to make them (IMO) gratuitously hot. Someone gave me a few bottles from different makers with those gross names but they all contained exactlly the same ingredients and tasted exactly the same -- no taste, just burn.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #38
Sous Chef

Try Sambal Oelek Ground Fresh Chili Paste. That stuff is so hot! My husband and exchange student both love it. There is also a similar one that is the same brand but called a Chili Garlic sauce or something like that. It is very good. Just don't use too much at once.

I tried to post a link but I guess I am too new and can't do it yet. But you can do a google search and it will pull it up.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #39
Master Chef

Any chili sauce product put out by Huy Fong (aka "the rooster") is terrific, authentic, & very well made.

I always have a jar of their chili-garlic paste in the fridge, sometimes along with the regular chili paste &/or their chili paste with onions. Also currently have a squeeze bottle of their sriracha sauce in the fridge as well.

I remember Saveur magazine did an article on them a few years ago, & it was very interesting to read how dedicated they are to their products.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #40
Master Chef

The Jamaican Hellfire sauce is supposed to be watered down with 2 parts water and one part vinegar to make a good sauce. It is not really a hot sauce per say, but a concentrated bottle that you turn into a large batch of hot sauce. It is a great addition to various dishes and does have a fair amount of peppers in it. It's just concentrated down to a rediculous level, hence the instructions to dilute it. I just made the mistake of using it directly on my plate. I didn't do that a second time.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None