Favorite store-bought condiment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure what my favorite would be but I have to give this one a shout out..very versatile, I eat it straight, add it to sauces. It doesn't really have a strong flavor, either way, just a nice salty heat. Lasts forever, although a jar never lasts me a long time..

0002446306307.jpg

I would have to agree with the majority here and say mayo but Ranch dressing would be a close second. Another is Lawry's salt. I tend to use the seasoned salt in just about everything except if there is a sweetness to the dish.

I only use BBQ sauce on bad BBQ (it's a Texas thing).

CD

I quit buying barbecue sauce when I checked the labels of every brand of BBQ sauce in every local grocery store and they all contained high fructose corn syrup. Now I make my own:

Pomegranate Balsamic Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients

1 cup pomegranate balsamic vinegar
1½ tsp pomegranate molasses
3 Tbs Agave Nectar
2 Tbs light tasting olive oil
112 oz bottle of Irish Stout
6oz tomato paste
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp Frank's Hot Sauce
1½ tsp whole grain mustard
¼ cup dark brown sugar
½ cup minced onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
½ tsp grated ginger
½ tsp salt

Instructions:

In a medium sauce pan, sauté the onions in the olive oil until softened, but not browned. Add the minced garlic and sauté until fragrant, 30 to 45 seconds. Add the tomato paste and heat through, breaking it up as you stir, to cook out the raw tomato taste.

Once the tomato paste has heated through, add the pomegranate balsamic vinegar and the stout and bring the sauce to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce to a simmer and add the agave nectar, pomegranate molasses, Frank’s hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and the whole grain mustard.
Add the brown sugar and stir until it is completely dissolved, then stir in the grated ginger and the salt.

Allow the sauce to simmer for anywhere from 2 to 5 hours, until it is rich and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

This sauce will keep for at least 1 week tightly covered in the refrigerator, or for 3 months in the freezer.

Not sure what my favorite would be but I have to give this one a shout out..very versatile, I eat it straight, add it to sauces. It doesn't really have a strong flavor, either way, just a nice salty heat. Lasts forever, although a jar never lasts me a long time..

0002446306307.jpg

They make some tasty ketchup too!

original-178-e1481041287800.jpeg

I quit buying barbecue sauce when I checked the labels of every brand of BBQ sauce in every local grocery store and they all contained high fructose corn syrup.

I also stay away from HFCS. But you can find BBQ sauces without HFCS. I see them at my local supermarkets and even at dollar stores. I picked up a few 18oz bottles of Kraft BBQ sauce the other day for a buck each.

I have list, yeah a list. Lingon jam ( goes on most food, breakfast, dessert and anything), Ketchup Heinz, Kikkoman Soysauce, HP sauce, Beetroot Ketchup, Maltvinegar, Dijonmustard smooth or hole grain ( I cant choose when it comes to the mustard).

My daughter favorites are Hoisin sauce, Lingon jam, Kikkoman, Ketchup and HP sauce. She prefer lingon over ketchup.

I am going against the grain here. I HATE mayo. The smell, the way it looks; I won't even allow it in my house. My favorite would be plain old Heinz Ketchup. It's the only brand I buy. Most versatile? Hmm...either soy sauce or yellow mustard.

0002446306307.jpg

I go through a jar about every two weeks! Awesome stuff.

Since my wife likes food very plain often, just plainly grilled or roasted with just s&p for the most part, my son and I have become condiment enthusiasts. I could never pick just one as a favorite because of this.

There is, of course, the shelf in the door of the fridge with Hellmann's mayo fat - what else"?), Heinz ketchup, Sambal Oelek, A1 sauce, and Worcestershire.

The next shelf has a few bbq style finishing or grilling sauces, Sriracha, Frank's Hot Sauce. Cholula regular and chipotle hot sauces, Tobasco, and a few other artisanal hot sauces I buy at street fairs.

The next one is loaded with at least a half dozen mustards (Gulden's spicy brown, Heinz or French's yellow, Maille smooth Dijon and wholegrain Dijon, Stonewall Kitchens Maine Maple Champagne, Stonewall Kitchen's Spicy Honey, Koscuisko spicy brown, and Coleman's). I'm sure there are a few more German or Polish style artisanal mustards that I'm forgetting that we buy during Christmastime at our town's Weihnachtsmarkt.

Finally, there are the random sauces. Stonewall Kitchens Curried Mango sauce is awesome! Their Roasted Garlic Peanut sauce is also delicious.

Lest I not forget, there are tubs of gochujang and seasoned soybean paste, and a tube of wasabi.

Mayo is probably the most used. Dx makes a mean home made mayo too. Otherwise, she's a miracle whip lady, and I either squeeze on some lemon juice or garlic powder, depending on the dish she makes or more pepper... whatever I can get away with.

I like horseradish.

My favorite condiment is probably Tiger Sauce. It says Try Me on the label, so I did. Yum.

Attachments

• tiger sauce.jpg
    tiger sauce.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 150
I really don't have a favorite. I do love hot sauces and good, aged balsamic vinegar. My present, go to hot sauce isn't available in stores as it is a small batch product that my daughter found at a farmers market in Punta Gorda, FL.

I only use BBQ sauce on bad BBQ (it's a Texas thing).

CD

Until recently, I'd only ever had bad bbq. Well, that's a little overstated, but anything that I considered bbq'd had sauce on it. And none of it was all that great.

But I finally found a great bbq place not too far from where I live, and in keeping with your thought, the restaurant is appropriately called Texas Smoke.

Texas Smoke Barbecue | 400 Rt. 15 South Jefferson, N.J.

They offer all of their meats unsauced, but all of the tables have 3 types of bbq sauces on them, from sweet to very hot.

We have tried just about everything there, even the salmon, and we have yet to have anything that wasn't great.

Btw, do Texans eat cornbread with their q, and if so, is it Northern style (sweet), or Southern (not sweet)?

Last edited:
I also stay away from HFCS. But you can find BBQ sauces without HFCS. I see them at my local supermarkets and even at dollar stores. I picked up a few 18oz bottles of Kraft BBQ sauce the other day for a buck each.

81lj04PO6FL._SY679_.jpg
81qlMKydLzL._SY679_.jpg
Ingredients:
High fructose corn syrup, water, vinegar, concentrated tomato juice (water, tomato paste), food starch-modified, salt, molasses, contains less than 2% of paprika, spice, mustard flour, guar gum, natural smoke flavor, celery seed, natural flavor, red 40.

Is this really what you want to put in your body?

"Our body's a temple, that's what we're taught. But I've treated this one like an old honky tonk" - Kenny Chesney

81lj04PO6FL._SY679_.jpg
81qlMKydLzL._SY679_.jpg
Ingredients:
High fructose corn syrup, water, vinegar, concentrated tomato juice (water, tomato paste), food starch-modified, salt, molasses, contains less than 2% of paprika, spice, mustard flour, guar gum, natural smoke flavor, celery seed, natural flavor, red 40.

"Our body's a temple, that's what we're taught. But I've treated this one like an old honky tonk" - Kenny Chesney

When I stopped drinking these products straight from the bottle on a daily basis, I realized that the amount of harm to my body is negligible... :)

Ross

81lj04PO6FL._SY679_.jpg
81qlMKydLzL._SY679_.jpg
Ingredients:

No, I use BBQ sauces that use sugar instead of HFCS, including the Kraft brand of BBQ sauces which I pick up for a buck each at the Dollar store. The rest of the ingredients listed here do not bother me.

Attachments

• NoHFCS.jpg
    NoHFCS.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Don't toss them, send them to me! Hellmans was my fav until I tried Duke's. I will never go back.

For store bought condiments, I'd say Dijon mustard, grainy or smooth, and Major Grey Chutney. If you count maple syrup as a condiment, that for sure. I love maple flavor, and use it instead of honey in any recipe.

[/QUOTE]
Btw, do Texans eat cornbread with their q, and if so, is it Northern style (sweet), or Southern (not sweet)?[/QUOTE]

Sweetpea, corn bread is never sweet! Neither are baked beans. And there are never beans in the chili. After 30 years here, I'm still enough of a Yankee to find that all horrible.:ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom