Finally, a foolproof homemade mayo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffin3

Senior Cook
Making the perfect homemade mayo has, for me for years always been a hit or miss ordeal. So much so I gave up trying a couple of years ago.
I came on a link promising the 100% everytime mayo success.
Forgive me if the link was from this forum.
Put 1 1/2C of your prefrred oil in a measuring cup and put it in the freezer. Put a small glass of water also in the freezer. The oil and the water have to be VERY cold for this to work.
Into food processor two eggs yolks. They must come to room temperature. Leave them sit while oil/water gets really cold.
Give the egg yolks just a single pulse to break them up and help them get to room temp.
Add to the yolks 1t of mustard> 1/4t salt> 1T of fresh squeezed lemon juice.
Give a couple of quick pulses.
The oil/water will take maybe half an hour to get cold.
Now add 2T of the cold water to the other ingredients and then turn on the processor to about medium speed. Now add the oil VERY slowly until it's all added. By now you will have a perfect consistent mayo.
Watch carefully and stop when the consistency is right.
I've used this method about a dozen times and it has worked each time/
COLD oil and water to room temp. other ingredients

DxW is a Miracle Whip kind of woman. She bought an immersion blender and whenever she needs real mayo, which for her is a bit of a stretch, but it does happen, she uses the blender in a tall jar. She uses a recipe from the Joy of Cooking. It comes out perfect and tastes really good. I will have to share your techniques with her.

Last edited:
I make 3 qt of mayo in a Robot coupe 2/3 times a week. 6 egg yolks--doesn't the matter temp, 1-1/2 T mustard powder, 1/4 c each lime juice and apple cider vinegar, 1 c cold water, 1 T salt.
I toss everything except the water and oil in the bowl. Pulse it and the add oil until 1/2 up the container, add the cold water, pulse, add the oil slowly until reaches the top of the bowl. Making mayo is a not complicated.

O

I have just started making mayo again. I used to make it in the blender and it tasted good, it just wasn't as thick as I like it.

I use an immersion blender in a wide mouthed jar, so I have less clean up.

1 room temperature egg yoke
1 Tblsp cider vinegar
1 Tblsp Dijon mustard
~1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup neutral oil. I use grape seed oil.
more cider vinegar or lemon or lime juice, to taste

Put everything but the oil and the "extra" vinegar or citrus juice in the wide mouth jar. Whiz a little to blend. Add about a quarter of the oil. When it starts to emulsify, add the rest of the oil. Because it's an immersion blender, the oil will only mix in slowly, sorta magic. Tilt the jar and continue whizziing. Slowly lift the immersion blender until all the oil has been incorporated. Add the extra cider vinegar or citrus juice and gently stir.

This has worked well except once when there was "thundery" weather.

I'm saving the egg whites by freezing them individually. I intend to use them for breading schnitzel.

Good question, tax. I will ask the exec chef today. I know there's a reason. I also know if it breaks and adding more egg yolks and mustard doesn't work, adding a couple of ice cubes will fix that (did that with a batch of bacon fat sundries tomato aioli this week).

Another mayonnaise question that always concerns me is how long you can safely keep homemade mayonnaise. I have always gone with the three day rule. I read an item that said you could safely keep the mayonnaise, refrigerated, until the expiration date on the eggs that were used to make it. I have not tried this but that would give a refrigerated shelf life of a month or more in some cases. Has anyone tried this and lived to tell the tale? :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
I make 3 qt of mayo in a Robot coupe 2/3 times a week. 6 egg yolks--doesn't the matter temp, 1-1/2 T mustard powder, 1/4 c each lime juice and apple cider vinegar, 1 c cold water, 1 T salt.
I toss everything except the water and oil in the bowl. Pulse it and the add oil until 1/2 up the container, add the cold water, pulse, add the oil slowly until reaches the top of the bowl. Making mayo is a not complicated.

O
I note you add cold water. So adding a cold ingredient must be important right?
And someone else mentioned using ice cubes to 'save' a mayo.
I do think adding cold ingredients to the yolks does make a difference. It certainly has for me.

Last edited:
I add the cold water midway through and the continue adding the oil. To save broken mayo or aioli, dump out the broken mayo, add more yolks and mustard to the fp bowl. I use dry mustard. Then gradually add the broken mayo as "the oil ". If it still breaks try a couple of ice cubes. The broken aioli was because we replaced the oil with room temp bacon fat 1 for 1. The ratio is 2/3 c fat to 4 yolks. We did fix it with more yolks, mustard and canola oil.

But, I get nice, thick mayo without adding water. Is it supposed to be cold? Everything else is supposed to be room temp. What is it supposed to do? I have seen it in recipes for mayo, not for how to fix broken mayo.

Taxy--I generally don't add water when I make it at home. My mayo is thick, but the mayo made w/ water is so thick a spoon stands up in it. Thicker than store bought. The water must add to the emulsification process. I'll ask on Wed.

I made another batch yesterday using the same recipe I started this thread with. Once again perfect mayo.
Something about the cold oil and cold water.

Puffin, what is the perfect consistency of mayo, for you?
Like the consistency of soft ice cream.
Easily spreadable but not runny.
It does become a little firmer after being refrigerated overnight but still like soft ice cream.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom