Flavored salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
Anyone make their own flavored salt ? One of my favorite is citrus peel , can be orange peel or lemon peel or both .

is your citrus dried or fresh...

i own citrus seasalt. may open & try with fish. graet to flavor your own, saves $7.

But inquiring minds still want to know: Do you use dried citrus peels, or fresh? Also, is it important to scrape off the pith before adding it to the salt?

I zested my lemons (no pith) then dried it in a warm oven before adding to the salt. Kept the mixture dry so it wouldnt cake.

Are we talking about regular salt or sea salt or kosher salt or what? This has me curious as I have never thought about doing this before. I can see where something like this would be great on salads, well, just about anything. I'm thinking a jalapeno salt of some sort... heh heh heh!

Are we talking about regular salt or sea salt or kosher salt or what? This has me curious as I have never thought about doing this before. I can see where something like this would be great on salads, well, just about anything. I'm thinking a jalapeno salt of some sort... heh heh heh!
I use sea salt , because it is wet and can absorb the flavors better. I also use dry spices and herbs, the wetness of the salt rehydrates the herb and then it all dries together when I leave it in a flat tray.

I saw Martha Stewart take kosher salt and fresh zest and put it all in a pood processor. She ran it through to combine evenly and then stored in airtight jars.

I saw Martha Stewart take kosher salt and fresh zest and put it all in a pood processor. She ran it through to combine evenly and then stored in airtight jars.

I will have to try it with kosher salt and try the FP method.

The flavored salts, at least the ones I am talking about, are the color of the zest you use. I have never used them myself though so I am not sure if they are just colored in the jar, but not on the food.

Back
Top Bottom