"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 12-03-2008, 04:17 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Fry Sauce Frysauce

OK, Are there any fry sauce fans out there? If you are in Utah you may really love fry sauce.

There is the usual recipe of ketchup and mayo. That is so bland and crappy I do have to say.

I like to dump and stir and you may adjust this recipe because home cooking is all about making it how "YOU" like it.

My basic recipe starts with this. 1/2 cup mayo, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/8 cup mustard, 1Tbsp Dill pickle juice.

Now depending on what is at the house I will add some other things. Few dashes of Worcestershire sauce. Maybe some hot sauce, Horseradish sauce. Paprika. Dave's insanity sauce is my favorite but only a small 1/4 - 1/2 tsp or even less. That crap will burn your face off. What ever you like.

Like I said I love dump and stir. Make sure you mix it well. Serve with home cut fries. Or keep some around when you bring home the fast food.

Enjoy, and let me know if this helps. If you are not familiar with Fry sauce then give it a go. This is possibly the most popular condiment for fries in Utah and southern Idaho. It's a Mormon thing. Arctic Circle serves it at most of its restaurants, and is credited with its creation.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
Cook

I love fry sauces but you cant get them where I am at, so we have to make our own. Most of the time we just mix ketchup and mayo together when we are at a restaurant. But I will have to try this one at home. Thanks

Old 12-03-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

i thought you were kidding when i first read this post. mixing mayo and ketchup is pretty standard, especially for things like fries or burgers, but mustard and other stuff?
it sounds like a little kid was allowed into the kitchen.

in fact, a couple of weeks ago when i got home from work, my son was trying to help my wife make dinner. to keep him busy, she gave him ketchup, mustard, mayo, salt and pepper, and a burger bun. he mixed up your fry sauce and put it on the bun, proudly proclaiming it a "crabby pattie". it's now his favourite thing to make when mommy's cooking.

somtimes, he allows me to share it with him...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Head Chef

I thought the post was for stir-fry sauce, not fries sauce. :D I love the British preference of Malt Vinegar on my fries. When I don't have access to that I will use the red stuff. I save the mixtures for my hamburger bun.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Buckytom,

I do know that the original Arctic Circle "mistake" included ketchup, mayo, mustard, and dill pickle juice. It was basically made by mixing the condiments that were placed on a burger. I can not find the exact story that tells the tale of discovering fry sauce, but I do know I have read it.

Sounds like your mister crabs is pretty cute. I would say that his recipe would not be too bad on a toasted bun.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

it's not terrible, to tell you the truth. but i'm one of those people who think mustard and ketchup should never touch each other. sort of a matter/anti-matter thing. putting them on a hot dog is venial sin, approaching mortal.
the pickle juice sounds like a good idea. i like to splash some hot pickled pepper juice on my grilled dirty pork chops.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i thought you were kidding when i first read this post. mixing mayo and ketchup is pretty standard, especially for things like fries or burgers, but mustard and other stuff?
it sounds like a little kid was allowed into the kitchen.

in fact, a couple of weeks ago when i got home from work, my son was trying to help my wife make dinner. to keep him busy, she gave him ketchup, mustard, mayo, salt and pepper, and a burger bun. he mixed up your fry sauce and put it on the bun, proudly proclaiming it a "crabby pattie". it's now his favourite thing to make when mommy's cooking.

somtimes, he allows me to share it with him...
as long as they eat it, I dont care what my kids make.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I'm a major fan of ranch dressing with my fries but often use similar to your fry sauce.....but it sounds kinds like thousand island dressing to me...or the sauce you find on the Big Mac (which they swear is not thousand island!)

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I do believe that the die hard frysauce fans reject the thousand island comparison based on this simple fact. Thousand Island has chunks of pickle and other things. Frysauce is meant to be smooth with no lumps. Those crazy fanatics.

I don't think it is like thousand island myself. It has a special kick that is not quite the same. Maybe it's just me.

My kids LOVE the ranch dressing. I think you could just serve them a bowl of ranch with one chicken nugget and they would be happy.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #10
Head Chef

hmm, never heard of it before!
My special sauce for french fries is ketchup, hot sauce and Worchestershire.

fry sauce... neat!

Tags
None