Fry Sauce Frysauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dumpandstir

Senior Cook
OK, Are there any fry sauce fans out there? If you are in Utah you may really love fry sauce.

There is the usual recipe of ketchup and mayo. That is so bland and crappy I do have to say.

I like to dump and stir and you may adjust this recipe because home cooking is all about making it how "YOU" like it.

My basic recipe starts with this. 1/2 cup mayo, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/8 cup mustard, 1Tbsp Dill pickle juice.

Now depending on what is at the house I will add some other things. Few dashes of Worcestershire sauce. Maybe some hot sauce, Horseradish sauce. Paprika. Dave's insanity sauce is my favorite but only a small 1/4 - 1/2 tsp or even less. That crap will burn your face off. What ever you like.

Like I said I love dump and stir. Make sure you mix it well. Serve with home cut fries. Or keep some around when you bring home the fast food.

Enjoy, and let me know if this helps. If you are not familiar with Fry sauce then give it a go. This is possibly the most popular condiment for fries in Utah and southern Idaho. It's a Mormon thing. :LOL: Arctic Circle serves it at most of its restaurants, and is credited with its creation.

I love fry sauces but you cant get them where I am at, so we have to make our own. Most of the time we just mix ketchup and mayo together when we are at a restaurant. But I will have to try this one at home. Thanks

i thought you were kidding when i first read this post. mixing mayo and ketchup is pretty standard, especially for things like fries or burgers, but mustard and other stuff?
it sounds like a little kid was allowed into the kitchen.

in fact, a couple of weeks ago when i got home from work, my son was trying to help my wife make dinner. to keep him busy, she gave him ketchup, mustard, mayo, salt and pepper, and a burger bun. he mixed up your fry sauce and put it on the bun, proudly proclaiming it a "crabby pattie". it's now his favourite thing to make when mommy's cooking.

somtimes, he allows me to share it with him...:(

I thought the post was for stir-fry sauce, not fries sauce. :D I love the British preference of Malt Vinegar on my fries. When I don't have access to that I will use the red stuff. I save the mixtures for my hamburger bun.

Buckytom,

I do know that the original Arctic Circle "mistake" included ketchup, mayo, mustard, and dill pickle juice. It was basically made by mixing the condiments that were placed on a burger. I can not find the exact story that tells the tale of discovering fry sauce, but I do know I have read it.

Sounds like your mister crabs is pretty cute. I would say that his recipe would not be too bad on a toasted bun. :LOL:

it's not terrible, to tell you the truth. but i'm one of those people who think mustard and ketchup should never touch each other. sort of a matter/anti-matter thing. :) putting them on a hot dog is venial sin, approaching mortal.
the pickle juice sounds like a good idea. i like to splash some hot pickled pepper juice on my grilled dirty pork chops.

i thought you were kidding when i first read this post. mixing mayo and ketchup is pretty standard, especially for things like fries or burgers, but mustard and other stuff?
it sounds like a little kid was allowed into the kitchen.

in fact, a couple of weeks ago when i got home from work, my son was trying to help my wife make dinner. to keep him busy, she gave him ketchup, mustard, mayo, salt and pepper, and a burger bun. he mixed up your fry sauce and put it on the bun, proudly proclaiming it a "crabby pattie". it's now his favourite thing to make when mommy's cooking.

somtimes, he allows me to share it with him...:(

as long as they eat it, I dont care what my kids make. :)

I'm a major fan of ranch dressing with my fries but often use similar to your fry sauce.....but it sounds kinds like thousand island dressing to me...or the sauce you find on the Big Mac (which they swear is not thousand island!)

I do believe that the die hard frysauce fans reject the thousand island comparison based on this simple fact. Thousand Island has chunks of pickle and other things. Frysauce is meant to be smooth with no lumps. Those crazy fanatics.

I don't think it is like thousand island myself. It has a special kick that is not quite the same. Maybe it's just me.

My kids LOVE the ranch dressing. I think you could just serve them a bowl of ranch with one chicken nugget and they would be happy.

hmm, never heard of it before!
My special sauce for french fries is ketchup, hot sauce and Worchestershire.

fry sauce... neat!

Mc D's Secret Sauce! (C. 1968-69)

1/4 cup Miracle Whip
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 1/2 tablespoons Wishbone Deluxe french salad dressing (the orange stuff)
1/2 tablespoon Heinz sweet relish
1 tablespoon Vlasic dill pickle relish (Heinz dill relish also works)
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon ketchup
1/8 teaspoon salt

Mix everything very well in a small container. (No streaks!). Microwave 25 seconds, and stir well again. Cover, and refrigerate at LEAST 1 hour before using (to allow all of the flavors to "meld").

Yield: 1 cup

NOTE: This recipe is from the 1968 McDonald's Manager's Handbook put out in 1969 (1968 year) They quickly removed the recipe after realizing they had a very appealing "secret sauce." It was included as an emergency recipe in the event a particular store ran out of the pre-made sauce.

French fry "sauce".... I was wondering what this thread was about. I think we discussed what we all liked on fries a while back. I don't remember if this mixture was ever discusssed and if it was, I know I would have remembered someone saying if it was pioneered by the Mormons. I was expecting to find some kind of sauce/gravy made of drippings from frying food :wacko:

So they actually package or sell this stuff? I can't imagine why you wouldn't make your own, even if it was a regional thing. Can you find it in the stores there?

I have bought Some Dudes Fry Sauce before. It is from Salt Lake City. It is really good. I have never had the Zesty before, my store only carries the regular.

allwhite400.jpg

I've never heard of it either! Live and learn, I guess.

I'll definitely try a couple versions next time I make fries (which is about once every 3 years or so :blush:)

I have never tried Some Dudes Fry Sauce. I find it to be a bit pricey and I just prefer to make my own. Although I have no problem with someone buying it. You can also purchase fry sauce through the Arctic Circle website.

It is kind of a regional thing, and Arctic Circle now claims that Washington and Oregon is the top market for their fry sauce.

I do have to say that I like the label on Some Dudes Fry Sauce. It has a table FULL of kids on it. It resembles my house only much cleaner.:pig::pig:

Fry sauce is a quick condiment that is great when serving large groups of people. I make a big batch on fathers day because we have fathers day fish fry and we eat a ton of fish and fries. That will be an exciting day to chronicle here on DC.

Yea... I was thinking stir-fry sauce myself. I can't stand ketchup, so even thinking about mixing it with anything seems to ruin it for me.

Give me a bowl of cracked pepper cream gravy for my fries please!!!

Well, I've never heard of this kind of thing before. Regional differences and all.

My other half, PeppA, absolutely LOVES Malt Vinegar on fries. She's from Michigan. Up there, during a county fair, there are several stands selling spiral cut fries, with spray bottles of malt vinegar on the counter so you can spritz your fries to your liking.

I have to put out Malt Vinegar as a condiment every time we do a Seafood Extravaganza at work, which is once a month. I've been working that event for over two years now, and I don't think ANYONE has ever touched the stuff.

Although I've never been to an Artic Circle, or read the tale on how the sauce was created, I will believe it. The burger chain I used to work for made their own sauce, and it was equal parts ketchup and mustard, with a little pickle juice thrown in. Bacon Cheeseburgers would get the sauce on the bottom bun, and mayo on top. I never thought about using the sauce on my fries, though. I can't normally stomach ketchup on my fries. I might just mix up a little of the "Fry sauce" at work today and give it shot :)

larry stewart,

That place looks great. I have often thought of opening a fry place around here or making a fry concession stand to take to events. I love my deep fryers. In fact I made a big batch of fries yesterday. None of those sauces looks like the famed "fry sauce". But they have lots of cool things to try.

Thanks for the link.

I also enjoy malt vinegar on my fries. When we do our fish fry we generally have about 30 people over. I have to put out all the condiments for all the fried foods.

There's a place in New York City that only serves Fries and Sauce. i never been there, but saw it on the news. I found their site and im posting a list of the ' menu of sauces'. Maybe this will inspire some to create a few at home, or visit NYC.

Pommes Frites Inc./Menu

Larry, thank you so much for posting this link. I am spicing some shrimp this Saturday and was trying to come up with some type of dipping sauce to accompany the traditional cocktail sauce. I like the idea of the Roasted Garlic Mayo to go with the shrimp. You made my day. I'll make up my own recipe, but I bet it will be good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom