"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 03-29-2004, 09:10 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Gravy tastes like flour, help!

In all the recipes, it seems that making gravy involves making roux (with fat and flour) then adding stock/flavouring.

However, the gravy ends up tasting really powdery, like flour. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong???

Thanks!!!

Old 03-29-2004, 11:41 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Did you simmer the gravy after you added the roux?

First of all, for every cup of liquid/broth you want to use 2 T. of fat and 2 T. of flour. Start off with a clean sauce pan, heat on medium, add flour, fat and stir constantly until bubbling. Once it bubbles, turn heat down and continue to bubble for 1 min (for a blond roux). Take off heat. Let sit a minute or two. Whisk in liquid. Return to medium heat and stir constantly until it starts bubble. Turn heat down to low and gently simmer for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk. Heat to lowest possible setting. Stop stirring :) Let occasionally bubble for 2-5 more minutes while added salt, pepper, and adjusting liquid if necessary. Remember, as the gravy cools it will thicken a bit.

Old 03-30-2004, 01:42 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

> First of all, for every cup of liquid/broth you want to use 2 T. of fat and 2 T. of flour.......Remember, as the gravy cools it will thicken a bit.

I might have added too much roux... =p
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it another go
Old 03-30-2004, 06:34 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Actually, when I get this question the answer is almost invariably that the roux wasn't cooked long enough. For a light (blond) roux, I generally cook them about 5 minutes. It isn't long enough to darken the roux, but it is long enough to remove the flour taste.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:49 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Bubba, I disagree :)

I have two words for you. Beurre manie. Completely uncooked roux successfully used by French cooks for centuries with no floury taste whatsoever. The taste of flour in a sauce/gravy is the result of ungelatinized starches, not from undercooked roux. Simmer the combined broth/roux long and enough and whatever floury taste there is will be gone.

Look at biscuits and gravy. How long is the typical roux cooked for that? Have you ever eaten anyone's biscuits and gravy that tasted floury? I haven't.

Gelatinized flour has no floury taste whatever. Case in point, the middle of bread.

Longer cooked rouxs are about adding flavor. A one minute roux tastes like an unsweetened shortbread (Yes, I have tasted it :)). Toasting it longer than that will give you nuttier, more complex, maillard reaction components. It's all very personal in this regard. Some people like their toast light and some people like it dark. Whatever length you choose, make sure you simmer your sauce/gravy long enough because that's where the removal of any floury taste occurs.

At least, that's how I feel about it :)
Old 03-31-2004, 06:48 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Actually scott I know where you are coming from and to me, beurre manie DOES taste like uncooked flour. Can't stand it. The roux for biscuits and gravy (one of the 10 best breakfast foods on earth...when made with country sausage) is typically cooked for at LEAST 5 minutes. My bias in this is clear...I cannot ABIDE the taste of uncooked flour! No dumplings please...no "chicken and pastry"...no spaetzle...to me they are just....ewwww.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:04 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Only the top 10 breakfast foods? :)

I'm curious, do you find the middle of bread offensive? The middle of bread contains only steamed untoasted flour.

Do you have the same revulsion to corn starch slurries?

I have to be honest and say that I'm not a big fan of beurre manie. I prefer the nutty shortbready taste I get from a 1 minute roux for most of my sauces/gravies. I can certainly understand your preference for toasting your flour further.

So I'm guessing you do a 5 minute roux for bechamel too, right?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:46 PM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Well I have a problem too... my flour tastes like GRAVEY! :?
Old 04-01-2004, 06:42 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Sushi;
That would only be a problem if you want ot bake a cake....but biscuits? Hmmm....biscuits that taste like gravy!

Scott...I HATE white bread....could this be why?
Old 04-01-2004, 04:23 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Hey Bubba, speaking of sausage and gravy, do you have a good recipe for making homemade country sausage? I've tried a few recipes but none has come close in flavor to the stuff I get at the store.

Tags
None