Has anyone ever made their own hot sauce??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Im having a great pepper year in the garden ( including multiple varieties of hot peppers).

I was thinking on tackling making my own hot sauce .

Ive seen fermented and non-fermented recipes.

Anyone have any comments, suggestions, recipes, techniques ??

Thanks,

Larry

You're going to get a lot of different recipes..I would decide if you want a chunky or thin type sauce..many are vinegar based and some are cut with many things like carrots, papaya, tomatoes, etc..just pure hot chilies can be too hot to eat on their own but if you find a flavor you are looking for you can add the chilies to heat up the sauce..I made one for the deli for years. I would add sugar, salt, onin, garlic and vinegar to the chilies then some water..boil them down and take a hand blender to them..I would keep adding some of these ingredients to balance it out as I finished the sauce..it will be a lot thicker once it cools so don't be afraid to make it fairly thin if you are going to cook it first..

One of my favorites is a chili paste, which I use for heating up other sauces..it is chunky like runny relish, but I don't add other seasoning so the flavor of the chili comes through with a bit of salt and garlic..

You can add a little slurry of corn starch to stabilize the sauce as most will separate. Or you could just shake it before using it..lol

Here's the label for one I sold at the deli, but we got too busy and I can't keep it on the shelves consistently..

Attachments

• 10373775_10152465684519993_544931829183136039_n.jpg
    10373775_10152465684519993_544931829183136039_n.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Larry, Hawaiian Chili Pepper Water (aka Hot Sauce)
is a condiment found on most all tables in Hawaii.

I've used this recipe:

https://www.hawaiianelectric.com/recipes/find-a-recipe/hawaiian-chili-pepper-water

You can use Pequin or Thai Chilis in place of the Hawaiian Peppers :chef:

When we lived in Hawaii, I didn't need to make it,
you can buy it everywhere and it's not very expensive either.
This is the most popular store bought brand:
https://www.halmsenterprises.com/co...ces/products/parks-brand-hawaiian-chili-water

Ours is thin and can be really hot if you leave it sit :mrgreen:

I make my own salsas, which are often called hot sauces in Texas. The difference is texture.

The problem I have with a lot of hot sauces is that they have the heat, but not necessarily good flavor. If you make a good salsa, and puree it in a blender, you should have a good hot sauce.

Check out https://heatonist.com . The guy who runs that business is extremely knowledgable, and knows that you have to have flavor as well as heat.

www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=-zCYX0esYlo

CD

Last edited:
I've been making my own for years. I buy about 20 red capsicums and cut in half and grill under grill until it's blackened. Then peel most of the black char off. That's gives you a nice char smokey taste. I then boil it up along with 100 to 200 chillies seeds included and cook with whatever. Vinegar obviously. Stick whizz and bottle. My kids can't get enough of it. I can tell you more if you want.

Russ

Im having a great pepper year in the garden ( including multiple varieties of hot peppers).

Thanks,

Larry
Last Sunday there was a re-run of BBC's "Nadiya's Family Favourites" (Series one - episode 5) on television. It featured an interview and demo with George Benson who makes his own home-made hot sauce.

Last edited:
No! I wouldn't know where to start! However, I've saved this thread on Favourites so that I can study it more in depth. Southern Italians love hot and piquant. I'd love to get to grips with this.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I've been making my own vinegar based hot sauces for several years, however, I've never used a recipe. The peppers vary from year to year, as does the level of heat. So I always just sort of wing it, based on what I have available.

RiSHEFh.jpg

I've made several before with varying success.

One word of caution: if you use orangey/yellow colored peppers such as habaneros, adding green ones like jalapenos, then add other ingredients like carrots and onions, you end up with a bizarre, rusty brown colored sauce that might taste good but isn't all that appealing in the jar. Looks sort of like cat puke.

I labelled my last one "Bucky's Rocket Fuel to Uranus"

Btw, check out Filmore Container company in Lancaster, Pa. for various type of hot sauce bottles and such.

https://www.fillmorecontainer.com/

Last edited:
No! I wouldn't know where to start! However, I've saved this thread on Favourites so that I can study it more in depth. Southern Italians love hot and piquant. I'd love to get to grips with this.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
It looked relatively simple when the chap made it in his kitchen on the Nadija programme. He had dozens of bottles of different varieties of hot sauce which he'd made.

I had a good year of peppers also, I did jalapenos and the little tiny hot peppers ( the name escapes me at the moment. I pickled some of the jalapenos but mostly I dehydrated all the rest and then put them in the blender and made hot pepper powder. (if your make it use the blender outdoors due to the powder dust.

My year has been awful for peppers. usually have jalapenos and Hungarian wax peppers coming out of my ears. I dont grow any mild peppers at all.

I dont remember where this recipe came from or if I have modified it over the years. So I am not intending to plagiarize anyone's work here, just sharing. I make a jalapeno sauce:

Green Jalapeno Sauce

• Prep Time: 20 minutes
  • Total Time: About 1 hour, plus time to age before using
  • Yield: 2 cups
Ingredients

• 20 jalapenos, stemmed and cut crosswise into 1/8-inch slices (about 2 1/2 cups or 3/4 pound)
  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
  • 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup distilled white vinegar
Directions

• Combine the jalapeños, garlic, onions, salt, and oil in a nonreactive saucepan over high heat. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add the water and continue to simmer, stirring often, for about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to steep until mixture comes to room temperature.
In a food processor, puree the mixture for 15 seconds, or until smooth. With the processor running, pour the vinegar through the feed tube in a steady stream. Pour into a sterilized pint jar or bottle and secure with an airtight lid. Refrigerate.
Let age for at least 2 weeks before using. Can be stored in the refrigerator up to 6 months.

I modified this next sauce from a base of Rick Bayless' recipe:

Habanero Hot Sauce

Servings: 2cups
Ingredients
5 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1/2cup peeled, roughly chopped carrot (you'll need 1 medium carrot)
1/2cup roughly chopped white onion (you'll need about half of a small onion)
12medium (about 5 ounces)orange habanero chilies, stemmed
1cup white vinegar
About 2teaspoons Salt
1/4teaspoon Sugar
Instructions
Roast the garlic in a skillet over medium heat, turning regularly until soft and blackened in spots, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool and peel.
In a small saucepan, combine the carrot, onion and habanero chilies with the vinegar and 1 cup water. Partially cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the carrots are thoroughly tender, about 10 minutes. Pour into a blender jar, add the roasted garlic, salt and sugar. Blend until smooth. Thin with a little additional water if you think your hot sauce is too thick. Taste and season with additional salt if you think necessary.
[FONT=&quot]Pour into jars or bottles and store in the refrigerator.[/FONT]

And for banana or Hungarian Wax peppers, Michael Symon's ShaSha sauce is really good. I use fresh peppers though, his recipe is jarred peppers. This sauce is a thicker, more of a "spoon over" or spreadable sauce where the Jalapeno and habanero sauces are thin and shakeable or drizzleable.

Michael Symon's ShaSha sauce

Last edited:

Thanks,

Larry
I applaud you for giving it a shot. I, like you had the hot sauce bug a bit. But, I have finally decided that it was a lot of work for what I was getting. I pretty much have a few favorite store bought one’s I use now. Today, I mostly use hot sauce as an add in for making barbecue sauce, spicy ketchup, etc.. I also prefer the more “condiment” or paste styles like yellow bird. Frankly, hot sauce is just too easy and cheap to buy and not give up shelf or refrigerator space to store a lot of homemade stuff. If I make it homemade, I just make a fresh on the spot salsa type of batch for tacos. Besides once you go above a certain heat level for most people, all those great ingredients you spent good money on do very little for you. You can’t taste much after it happens. Good hot sauce making to you.

Tomato can make my arthritis worse, so I made some tomatillo salsa / hot sauce. It was pretty good. But, then I found that we can get La Costeña green sauce and it's better than the one I made and it's made of real ingredients. I don't bother trying to make it any more.

I applaud you for giving it a shot. I, like you had the hot sauce bug a bit. But, I have finally decided that it was a lot of work for what I was getting. I pretty much have a few favorite store bought one’s I use now. Today, I mostly use hot sauce as an add in for making barbecue sauce, spicy ketchup, etc.. I also prefer the more “condiment” or paste styles like yellow bird. Frankly, hot sauce is just too easy and cheap to buy and not give up shelf or refrigerator space to store a lot of homemade stuff. If I make it homemade, I just make a fresh on the spot salsa type of batch for tacos. Besides once you go above a certain heat level for most people, all those great ingredients you spent good money on do very little for you. You can’t taste much after it happens. Good hot sauce making to you.
Ill like to see how things are made, and try it at home. Its not always successful (and the hot sauce was a failure), but I enjoyed the process.

Biggest failure ever was when I attempted make my own soy sauce. I had to abort the. mission halfway through. Doubt Ill try it again. but it was fun while it lasted .

Back
Top Bottom