"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 11-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Oil and vinegar don't mix, it's the mustard that binds them together. The egg is a thickener. IMO.

I believe both the egg yolk and the mustard contain lecithin which acts as an emulsifier.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Well...I believe it's Alchemy...taking liquids and semi liquids and creating the equivalent of food gold.

The only thing that could make it better is garlic or bacon.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Well...I believe it's Alchemy...taking liquids and semi liquids and creating the equivalent of food gold.

The only thing that could make it better is garlic or bacon.
...or both!
Old 11-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
I have not had any problem with mayo using this recipe. It turns out thick and tasty.
Keep the egg at room temp before starting.
Mayo
1- whole egg @ room temp
1- Tbsp lemon or lime juice
1- tsp mustard, I like Dijon
1/4- tsp salt
1- cup of veg oil,Canola oil, Skip the olive oil!
1- tsp white vinegar
Add all the ingredients into canister. Start with the blender at the bottom and mix until the mixture starts to bind.The lift the blender up and down until all ingredients are blended.
When I first started doing this I would not wait for the egg to warm up and mine always came out thin and runny.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #15
Head Chef

No, they don't mix. Water molecules are polar; they have charges, positive on one end, negative on the other. So, water molecules attract water molecules or any other polar molecule). Oil molecules are non-polar. They get sort of frozen out, like the cool kids hanging together and ignoring the nerds. Happily for gin and tonic fans, alcohol is also polar and mixes nicely with tonic water.

But oil and water do emulsify, and mustard is not required. Mustard is just ground seeds and vinegar, and the liquid component of mayo is already vinegar. They will emulsify with just oil and water, meaning oil and vinegar, but, as with scratch oil and vinegar salad dressing, it's not stable. The egg yolk is the emulsifier, providing stability, because it provides long amino acid chains, proteins, that have the ability to link fat and water. (Lecithin is another emulsifier, but a different kind. It is a surfactant that attaches to fat at one end and water at the other. You see it a lot in manufactured foods.) Kraft Mayo also contains food starch as a stabilizer. A stabilizer has a large molecule that simply keeps fat particles away from each other so they can't combine. Viscosity also stabilizes, because it's harder for the fat particles to move against each other, and the mustard that Kraft uses in its mayo has some fruit pectin that helps thicken.

But we don't often use stabilizers. We could, but I don't think most who care enough to make their own make large batches and have to worry about them breaking down. And, although we do usually add mustard, most prepared mustards are vinegar, seeds, water, salt and spices. No pectin or other thickeners and certainly no emulsifiers.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I use my immersion blender a lot, close to every day. I have a nice blender that gets quite dusty. Making mayo, whipped cream, small batch chopping the heck out of and pureeing soups...love it!
Old 11-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I use my immersion blender a lot, close to every day. I have a nice blender that gets quite dusty. Making mayo, whipped cream, small batch chopping the heck out of and pureeing soups...love it!

Have you used it to make mayo? If so, any good tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 11-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #18
Head Chef

I use mine for mayo. Used it tonight. It came with a tallish two-cup measuring cup, and the blender head is maybe 2/3 the diameter of the cup. That cup is perfect for making a quick cup of mayo. The blender can be worked up and down, and there's not too much room for the developing mayo to escape around it. That kind of high energy shearing is the best for emulsifying mayo. It's the shearing of oil particles that makes it happen.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
I use mine for mayo. Used it tonight. It came with a tallish two-cup measuring cup, and the blender head is maybe 2/3 the diameter of the cup. That cup is perfect for making a quick cup of mayo. The blender can be worked up and down, and there's not too much room for the developing mayo to escape around it. That kind of high energy shearing is the best for emulsifying mayo. It's the shearing of oil particles that makes it happen.
Did you hold the blender toward the bottom for a bit before working it up and down? Some recipes recommend that and others don't. Very confusing!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Have you used it to make mayo? If so, any good tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Yes, I use it for mayo, I use my old recipe, had a couple failures until I learned how to move the blender and when. It's hard to describe, mostly by feel when it's just starting to tighten up. It's not dictated by time, etc.

Tags
other, recipe

Help needed with mayo recipe I made this recipe these evening using my new immersion blender. The mayo came out tasty but thin—more like a sauce. Are there any tweaks I can make to get a thicker consistency? [url=http://www.everydaymaven.com/2014/how-to-make-mayonnaise/]How To Make Mayonnaise with an Immersion Blender[/url] 3 stars 1 reviews