Help needed with mayo recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have not had any problem with mayo using this recipe. It turns out thick and tasty.
Keep the egg at room temp before starting.
Mayo
1- whole egg @ room temp
1- Tbsp lemon or lime juice
1- tsp mustard, I like Dijon
1/4- tsp salt
1- cup of veg oil,Canola oil, Skip the olive oil!
1- tsp white vinegar
Add all the ingredients into canister. Start with the blender at the bottom and mix until the mixture starts to bind.The lift the blender up and down until all ingredients are blended.

Last edited:
I have not had any problem with mayo using this recipe. It turns out thick and tasty.
Mayo
1- whole egg @ room temp
1/4- tsp salt
1- tsp white vinegar
Add all the ingredients into canister. Start with the blender at the bottom and mix until the mixture starts to bind.The lift the blender up and down until all ingredients are blended.

Thanks for posting this! I see that this recipe calls for both lemon juice and vinegar. I'm surprised that the mayo doesn't taste too tart. The recipes I've seen call for either lemon juice or vinegar.

mayo

Thanks for posting this! I see that this recipe calls for both lemon juice and vinegar. I'm surprised that the mayo doesn't taste too tart. The recipes I've seen call for either lemon juice or vinegar.

Here is the outcome, I just made it fresh.

img_1398016_0_ac46007d11358ca769f6f70d9c81cbc0.jpg

I find that my mayo doesn't thicken until sufficient oil has been added, BUT I also find that if I go beyond some critical point with the oil, it will thin again and be spoiled. The answer to fixing thin mayo may be counter-intuitive.

When I read up on why, I found that there are two kinds of emulsions, one in which oil is dispersed in water and the other in which water is dispersed in oil. While the large amount of oil versus the small amount of water in mayo might make us think otherwise, it's an oil dispersed in water type emulsion. But that makes sense. We add the oil to the water (in the vinegar, lemon juice, etc.).

In making the emulsion, oil particles must be dispersed, made very fine. The more of those dispersed particles, the thicker the emulsion. But if you add too much, it becomes impossible for them to avoid each other, and they begin to clump, and the emulsion "breaks."

Emulsions are unstable by nature. They want to separate. In mayo, egg is our stabilizer. A stabilizer provides a large molecule needed to keep the fat particles apart.

It usual instruction is to begin by adding oil very slowly and increasing the doses as you go along. That's mostly important with low power dispersion, such as with a hand whisk. With an immersion blender, it's hard for the fat to escape the high energy milling produced by the blender, and you can go significantly faster without the oil pooling on top.

So, if you use far too little oil, there's not enough emulsification, and it's thin. If you use too much oil, the particles combine again and it gets thin. If it once was thick but begins to thin as you add oil, stop the oil, and add more vinegar or lemon juice to give the dispersed fat particles room as you blend it more.

Well...I believe it's Alchemy...taking liquids and semi liquids and creating the equivalent of food gold.

The only thing that could make it better is garlic or bacon.

Mayo
1- whole egg @ room temp
1/4- tsp salt
1- tsp white vinegar

When I first started doing this I would not wait for the egg to warm up and mine always came out thin and runny.

No, they don't mix. Water molecules are polar; they have charges, positive on one end, negative on the other. So, water molecules attract water molecules or any other polar molecule). Oil molecules are non-polar. They get sort of frozen out, like the cool kids hanging together and ignoring the nerds. Happily for gin and tonic fans, alcohol is also polar and mixes nicely with tonic water.

But oil and water do emulsify, and mustard is not required. Mustard is just ground seeds and vinegar, and the liquid component of mayo is already vinegar. They will emulsify with just oil and water, meaning oil and vinegar, but, as with scratch oil and vinegar salad dressing, it's not stable. The egg yolk is the emulsifier, providing stability, because it provides long amino acid chains, proteins, that have the ability to link fat and water. (Lecithin is another emulsifier, but a different kind. It is a surfactant that attaches to fat at one end and water at the other. You see it a lot in manufactured foods.) Kraft Mayo also contains food starch as a stabilizer. A stabilizer has a large molecule that simply keeps fat particles away from each other so they can't combine. Viscosity also stabilizes, because it's harder for the fat particles to move against each other, and the mustard that Kraft uses in its mayo has some fruit pectin that helps thicken.

But we don't often use stabilizers. We could, but I don't think most who care enough to make their own make large batches and have to worry about them breaking down. And, although we do usually add mustard, most prepared mustards are vinegar, seeds, water, salt and spices. No pectin or other thickeners and certainly no emulsifiers.

I use my immersion blender a lot, close to every day. I have a nice blender that gets quite dusty. Making mayo, whipped cream, small batch chopping the heck out of and pureeing soups...love it!

I use my immersion blender a lot, close to every day. I have a nice blender that gets quite dusty. Making mayo, whipped cream, small batch chopping the heck out of and pureeing soups...love it!

Have you used it to make mayo? If so, any good tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I use mine for mayo. Used it tonight. It came with a tallish two-cup measuring cup, and the blender head is maybe 2/3 the diameter of the cup. That cup is perfect for making a quick cup of mayo. The blender can be worked up and down, and there's not too much room for the developing mayo to escape around it. That kind of high energy shearing is the best for emulsifying mayo. It's the shearing of oil particles that makes it happen.

I use mine for mayo. Used it tonight. It came with a tallish two-cup measuring cup, and the blender head is maybe 2/3 the diameter of the cup. That cup is perfect for making a quick cup of mayo. The blender can be worked up and down, and there's not too much room for the developing mayo to escape around it. That kind of high energy shearing is the best for emulsifying mayo. It's the shearing of oil particles that makes it happen.

Did you hold the blender toward the bottom for a bit before working it up and down? Some recipes recommend that and others don't. Very confusing!

Have you used it to make mayo? If so, any good tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Yes, I use it for mayo, I use my old recipe, had a couple failures until I learned how to move the blender and when. It's hard to describe, mostly by feel when it's just starting to tighten up. It's not dictated by time, etc.

Back
Top Bottom