"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 11-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Help needed with mayo recipe

I made this recipe these evening using my new immersion blender. The mayo came out tasty but thin—more like a sauce. Are there any tweaks I can make to get a thicker consistency?

How To Make Mayonnaise with an Immersion Blender

Old 11-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Two things:

1. home made mayo isn't usually as thick as store bought.
2. add more oil.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Two things:

1. home made mayo isn't usually as thick as store bought.
2. add more oil.

Thanks Andy!
Old 11-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
Master Chef

It will also tighten up if you refrigerate it overnight.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
Head Chef

I have not had any problem with mayo using this recipe. It turns out thick and tasty.
Keep the egg at room temp before starting.
Mayo
1- whole egg @ room temp
1- Tbsp lemon or lime juice
1- tsp mustard, I like Dijon
1/4- tsp salt
1- cup of veg oil,Canola oil, Skip the olive oil!
1- tsp white vinegar
Add all the ingredients into canister. Start with the blender at the bottom and mix until the mixture starts to bind.The lift the blender up and down until all ingredients are blended.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
I have not had any problem with mayo using this recipe. It turns out thick and tasty.
Keep the egg at room temp before starting.
Mayo
1- whole egg @ room temp
1- Tbsp lemon or lime juice
1- tsp mustard, I like Dijon
1/4- tsp salt
1- cup of veg oil,Canola oil, Skip the olive oil!
1- tsp white vinegar
Add all the ingredients into canister. Start with the blender at the bottom and mix until the mixture starts to bind.The lift the blender up and down until all ingredients are blended.

Thanks for posting this! I see that this recipe calls for both lemon juice and vinegar. I'm surprised that the mayo doesn't taste too tart. The recipes I've seen call for either lemon juice or vinegar.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #7
Head Chef

mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Thanks for posting this! I see that this recipe calls for both lemon juice and vinegar. I'm surprised that the mayo doesn't taste too tart. The recipes I've seen call for either lemon juice or vinegar.
Here is the outcome, I just made it fresh.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:42 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Here is the outcome, I just made it fresh.

Looks super creamy!

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 11-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #9
Head Chef

I find that my mayo doesn't thicken until sufficient oil has been added, BUT I also find that if I go beyond some critical point with the oil, it will thin again and be spoiled. The answer to fixing thin mayo may be counter-intuitive.

When I read up on why, I found that there are two kinds of emulsions, one in which oil is dispersed in water and the other in which water is dispersed in oil. While the large amount of oil versus the small amount of water in mayo might make us think otherwise, it's an oil dispersed in water type emulsion. But that makes sense. We add the oil to the water (in the vinegar, lemon juice, etc.).

In making the emulsion, oil particles must be dispersed, made very fine. The more of those dispersed particles, the thicker the emulsion. But if you add too much, it becomes impossible for them to avoid each other, and they begin to clump, and the emulsion "breaks."

Emulsions are unstable by nature. They want to separate. In mayo, egg is our stabilizer. A stabilizer provides a large molecule needed to keep the fat particles apart.

It usual instruction is to begin by adding oil very slowly and increasing the doses as you go along. That's mostly important with low power dispersion, such as with a hand whisk. With an immersion blender, it's hard for the fat to escape the high energy milling produced by the blender, and you can go significantly faster without the oil pooling on top.

So, if you use far too little oil, there's not enough emulsification, and it's thin. If you use too much oil, the particles combine again and it gets thin. If it once was thick but begins to thin as you add oil, stop the oil, and add more vinegar or lemon juice to give the dispersed fat particles room as you blend it more.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
Head Chef

Oil and vinegar don't mix, it's the mustard that binds them together. The egg is a thickener. IMO.

Tags
other, recipe

Help needed with mayo recipe I made this recipe these evening using my new immersion blender. The mayo came out tasty but thin—more like a sauce. Are there any tweaks I can make to get a thicker consistency? [url=http://www.everydaymaven.com/2014/how-to-make-mayonnaise/]How To Make Mayonnaise with an Immersion Blender[/url] 3 stars 1 reviews