"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 11-15-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Homemade Catsup

I just put up a new thread for mustard and mayonnaise, but it got me to thinking. Is there a recipe for homemade catsup?

Old 11-16-2007, 06:47 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Found topsecretrecipes.com on the web, and it has a catsup recipe. It calls for tomato paste, do you think I can substitute fresh tomatoes somehow?

Old 11-16-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Well you would have to condense the tomatoes down into your own paste, cos ketchup is a thick sauce. By using them fresh, you are just taking the recipe back a couple of steps but I can't see any reason why you can't. How playful do you feel??
Old 11-16-2007, 11:22 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
Well you would have to condense the tomatoes down into your own paste, cos ketchup is a thick sauce. By using them fresh, you are just taking the recipe back a couple of steps but I can't see any reason why you can't. How playful do you feel??
Hehehe Not so playful right now. I have that bug that's been going around, and standing up for any length of time is just a no go right now. Anyway, I'm too low on vinegar right now, and I don't feel like shopping. LoL But this intrigues me, I wanna do it!!!! Dad has a tomato garden and I can't use the tomatoes fast enough, this would be a good way to go. Hmmmmmm, now I have to figure out which type of tomatoes to use.

<heads off to do more research ... naw, I'll wait till when I feel better LoL>
Old 11-17-2007, 12:31 AM   #5
Executive Chef

For the purposes of having a go, go with whatever type of tomato you can lay your hands on that is free or cheap! You can refine your recipe with other varieties once you've got the basics of the recipe in hand.

Isn't there always some shocking person spreading a bug around!!! Obviously very generous people!! Personally I would prefer it if they gave something more useful!! LOL

Hope you are feeling better soon Gossie!
Old 11-17-2007, 12:43 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
For the purposes of having a go, go with whatever type of tomato you can lay your hands on that is free or cheap! You can refine your recipe with other varieties once you've got the basics of the recipe in hand.

Isn't there always some shocking person spreading a bug around!!! Obviously very generous people!! Personally I would prefer it if they gave something more useful!! LOL

Hope you are feeling better soon Gossie!
Good point!!!! Not like I don't have enough to work with right now. :-) I wish he would grow more plum tomatoes. Have you ever tried Sweet 100 tomatoes? YUMMY!!

I had a flu shot too, so it might be the bug and the shot working together right now. I don't usually get this deeply sick, usually is just a touch of this or that and it's over and done with. Then again, seems like I have a touch of something every Thanksgiving season. LoL Oh well. Thanks for the good wishes.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:51 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossie View Post
Good point!!!! Not like I don't have enough to work with right now. :-) I wish he would grow more plum tomatoes. Have you ever tried Sweet 100 tomatoes? YUMMY!!
I don't think we get them over here, well at least I've never seen them in the shops, nurseries or heard them mentioned on the gardening or cooking shows.

Quote:
I had a flu shot too, so it might be the bug and the shot working together right now. I don't usually get this deeply sick, usually is just a touch of this or that and it's over and done with.
When I first got kidney failure, I panicked and went out and got myself a shot and I was so sick!!! Never again! I now have a repressed immune system since the transplant and I still felt safer taking my chances with life!!!LOL

Quote:
Then again, seems like I have a touch of something every Thanksgiving season. LoL Oh well. Thanks for the good wishes.
You probably get run down with all the planning and stress, making you more susceptible to bugs. Next year, you'll have to plan your health as well as the turkey!!LOL
Old 11-17-2007, 02:58 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Dad gets his tomato seeds from a place on the web, here's the url if you want to check them out: totallytomatoes.com

It has peppers too. LoL

You could probably grow sweet 100's in Australia, although I don't know if they can be shipped there. But at least you can get a picture of them. Well I think you can. I should have checked it out before I even said anything. hehe

EDIT: Cancel the totallytomatoes url, check out parkseed.com ... totallytomatoes doesn't have a website anymore. I think it's a sub of parkseed anyway. :-)
Old 11-17-2007, 03:09 AM   #9
Executive Chef

My favourite tomatoes at the mo are nectar tomatoes (similar to grape tomatoes but slightly rounder and larger), second are grape tommies. If I get a big 'un, I just go for a roma. Last year I had a good crop of mini romas. Haven't put any crops in this year. Too disorganised.

Sweet 100's are available in Australia as seeds (Mr Fothergills) - just checked after seeing your link. Learn something everyday! Doesn't of course mean they are available this side of the border! We are more strict with quarantine measures this side of the Nullabor. (As an aside, when I was a kid, when you went down south, there was an imaginary border about ninety minutes drive out of Perth where you were expected to stop and either eat or throw away any fresh fruit or veges so as to not infect the growers/farmers' crops. Think they still have that at the domestic airports and borders.)

Anyway, will have to check em out if I can. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2007, 03:27 AM   #10
Sous Chef

We are getting so way off topic. LoL

About the "infecting the crops", I am sort of wishy washy about that. It makes me think of years ago, when the cowboys were moving from the east to the west. I wonder how many of them took seeds from their crops in the east to plant in the west where they moved to. I mean, I can see the advantages of not keeping it localized.

Tags
None