Homemade ketchup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:chef: One of the group leader keep on deleted it
and it is not copyrighted.
if you have a place where i can send it?

liketobake said:
Does anyone make home their own ketchup? If so please let us know how it is.

Thanks

Making Homemade Ketchup

I buy my ketchup at the market and I have no reason to make it from scratch.

Have a nice day.

Jill and Jolie

My mother and I also made ketchup once. It took forever and we thought it was awful. Of course I was about 10. I might like it now. I always have over 100 Roma plants and I can all sorts of tomato things. I would like to try ketchup again, if anyone has a recipe they like and want to share. I like doing that kind of stuff nowadays.

Gotta wiegh in here. First, as Michael hinted at, there are so many types of ketchup, or catsup out there. In the phillipines, the condiment is made from bananas, there are other fruit ketchups around as well. I've easily made my own ketchup in a pinch by combining canned tomato sauce with corn syrup, cloves, a bit of mace, and allspice. The main flavor componants of comercially made ketchup are tomato, corn syrup, and cloves, with a hint of garlic and onion. After that, you can add what you want. Other good spices inclued ginger, nutmeg, chili powder, powdered mustard. You could add wasabi or horse radish, or cayenne pepper if you so desire.

And to be sure, if you are going to be making home made ketchup from scratch, it will be time intensive and laborious. But then again, so is making your own pickles, your own spaghetti sauce, your own bouliabase, your own demi-glace, your own maple syrup (you try boiling down 40 gallons of maple sap into one gallon. Now that's time and labor intensive work!) etc. You don't make these on a whim. And you don't make them because you just want a quick sauce to put on food. If that's all you want, then go get the pre-made stuff. It's relatively cheap, tastes ok, and is a whole bunch easier.

Making your own sauces from scratch is done for the love of the process, for the love of the challenge, and for the artisan in those who love to cook from scratch. It's not really cheaper to make your own, as you can't get the ingredients in bulk. It certainly eats time like a teenage boy with a hamburger. But the results produce a sense of satisfaction, and often, the results are incomparable with what you can get commercially, or even at a restaurant.

So, if you want to make your own ketchup, by all means, do so. Just know what you're getting into when you start. And if using canned tomato sauce is something you're comfortable with, then by all means, take the shortcut. If not, then I say, use a juicer for those tomatoes. It will still be a lot of work, but less than if using a chinois (that cone-shaped thingy with a wooden pusher).

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I have been given homemade ketchup from friends and it is delicious.

As for the need for "bottles of ketchup", just put it in canning jars and spoon it out.

I made my own ketchup this year. I eliminated the blurp-blurp completely by cooking the tomatoes and other veggies just til they were tender, and then draining them. I reduced the liquid from the veggies down to a cup or so, added it back to the veggies, then used the food processor to puree til smooth.

Roasting the veggies would accomplish the same purpose, and add the nice roasted flavor. That is how I did my spaghetti sauce.

Back
Top Bottom