"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 04-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #31
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Is no one concerned about salmonella from the raw eggs?
Taxlady, I can only speak for myself. I have been making mayonnaise and Aioli for at least 30 years, with raw eggs, and no one, not one single person has ever gotten sick from my mayo, or anything else I have ever made.

There are, however, many recipes out there for "Safe" Mayo. I included one of those in my book. But aside from testing it for my book, I do not make that. I make the other recipe on the same page.

One think I have always done is to wash and dry the eggs before I crack them, no matter what I am using them for. I learned that when I was a little girl gathering eggs on my Aunt's farm. I don't know whether that really takes care of all the germs, but it sure doesn't hurt.

Oh, and at the holidays, I also make eggnog with raw eggs, and no one has ever gotten anything but drunk on that!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #32
Sous Chef

^^^ ^^^

Old 04-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Taxlady, I can only speak for myself. I have been making mayonnaise and Aioli for at least 30 years, with raw eggs, and no one, not one single person has ever gotten sick from my mayo, or anything else I have ever made...

Hmmmm, thirty years of eggs and never a problem. Given the published odds, I'd say you are about due for that one in 30,000.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #34
Sous Chef

I've read in the past that it's not an issue of rolling the dice... a large part of the concern lies in your source and how you handle the eggs. I remember a funny thing Emeril used to say, "If you leave your potato salad in the back of a 150 car all day, then you get what you deserve!". Buy fresh eggs from a reputable source, keep them chilled, and remember to refrigerate dishes with mayo in them. If you have the salad out on the picnic table for half the day... it's probably a good idea to toss any leftovers. Better yet, only put out what you plan to consume... you can always refill the bowl.

I've never had issues either, nor have I with eating sushi, rare beef, pork cooked to 140-145F, or chicken/turkey cooked to 160-165F.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher View Post
I've read in the past that it's not an issue of rolling the dice... a large part of the concern lies in your source and how you handle the eggs. I remember a funny thing Emeril used to say, "If you leave your potato salad in the back of a 150 car all day, then you get what you deserve!". Buy fresh eggs from a reputable source, keep them chilled, and remember to refrigerate dishes with mayo in them. If you have the salad out on the picnic table for half the day... it's probably a good idea to toss any leftovers. Better yet, only put out what you plan to consume... you can always refill the bowl.

I've never had issues either, nor have I with eating sushi, rare beef, pork cooked to 140-145F, or chicken/turkey cooked to 160-165F.

Excellent advice Nicholas but not to the point. How you handle food does not cancel out the effects of eating an egg contaminated with salmonella from the gitgo.

I'm not sure a reputable supplier is the answer either, as I doubt all laying chickens are tested for salmonella and are kept in sanitary conditions that inhibit the spread of the bacteria.

It's my understanding that chickens are inoculated against salmonella in the UK. I wonder what that would add to the cost of an egg.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I can't find any reliable statistics for incidence of salmonella in eggs, but 1 in 30,000 (in the U.S.) seems to be outdated and closer to 1 in 20,000 now. There are many international members and visitors here and I would hate it if someone got a false sense of security about raw eggs from reading here.

from Fact Sheets for At-Risk and Underserved Populations

The people most at risk for foodborne illness are:

Infants and young children
pregnant women
older adults
people with weakened immune systems caused by:
cancer treatment
diabetes
AIDS
bone marrow and organ transplants
I hope people aren't serving food that contains raw eggs to people in the above list without warning them.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #37
Sous Chef

The handling of an egg certainly contributes to the level of harmful organisms present. If you had the option of eating a fresh egg and one that had sat incubated at 100F for 2 months which would you choose?

A healthy adult must consume the organism at large levels to bring on ill effects. There is actually quite a bit of Salmonella contamination at minute levels in many locations you interact with on a daily basis.

Purchasing from an industrial farm that has poor waste handling techniques, and then distribution through a large chain has much larger variability than purchasing direct from a farmer or local source that uses open production and fewer links between the chicken and your plate. This has been statistically proven in many independent studies.

Also, while testing is a good sign it doesn't ensure safety. You could get a bad batch of eggs from a farm that meets standard requirements on a regular basis.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #38
Sous Chef

I should mention that I agree to some extent with taxlady. I always tell elderly people out of health and pregnant women who might eat my mayo-based dishes that they include raw egg, and that it poses an infinitesimally small but measurable risk. I also do the same for pretty much any meat that I cook.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher View Post
I should mention that I agree to some extent with taxlady. I always tell elderly people out of health and pregnant women who might eat my mayo-based dishes that they include raw egg, and that it poses an infinitesimally small but measurable risk. I also do the same for pretty much any meat that I cook.

We should all be doing this. No one wants to be the cause of another's illness or worse.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #40
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Hmmmm, thirty years of eggs and never a problem. Given the published odds, I'd say you are about due for that one in 30,000.
Well, actually, Andy, if I counted all the years I cooked with Mom in her kitchen with no eggy mishaps, it's more like 60.

Tags
None