Homemade relish, chutney, pickle and sauce recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyles

Head Chef
Some of you keen gardeners and barbecuers must have some great tried and tested recipes. I'm starting to buy homemade relishes and chutneys, but really should get my act into gear and cook some. Anyone got a fantastic recipe to get me started?

Clive is the chutney master.. I bow down to him. but ill throw my .2p in as well..

Hey Clive ive got a lot of berries (i know for jam not really a chutney) but i would like a good veggie chutney too :)

I posted a few chutney recipes a while back, Kyles. I also posted a picallilli recipe, too.

If you've got berries ( ie. redcurrants, blackcurrants) I'd try some Pepper Jelly first.

Off the top of my head, use 1 kg of Redcurrants, 2 kgs white sugar, about 600 ml of white wine vinegar, 10 hot red chilli peppers, seeds ( but not veins) removed) 1 tsp sea salt, juice of 1 lemon, 3 tbsps dry pectin.
BLITZ the redcurrants, vinegar, hot chillies, salt and lemon juice together. Place in a LARGE pot ( stainless steel) with the sugar, and bring to the boil. Be careful, because as soon as it begins to boil it could rise and pour over the edge - stir and stir and stir and lower the heat.
Allow to cook for about 20 minutes, until the foam has disappeared from the surface and the jelly is smooth.
Allow to cool for 20 minutes, then bring to a rapid boil and sprinkle the dry pectin on top. Stir to dissolve and then boil for two minutes.
Bottle immediately.

For Blackcurrants, use red wine vinegar, add two teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper, and all the other ingredients above.

Hey I've got to think about the chutney - my taste memory for redcurrants is about 25 yrs old...:sick:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom