"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 08-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Today's experiment is sherry vinegar. Now I just have to wait 6 weeks to see if it worked.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
The pomegranate vinegar and the cherry vinegar you gave me are delicious. I tried the sugar cube test, but had to try without. They weren't sour enough to need the sugar.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:10 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The pomegranate vinegar and the cherry vinegar you gave me are delicious. I tried the sugar cube test, but had to try without. They weren't sour enough to need the sugar.
Glad you like them.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

TL--the blueberry vinegar is very good! It is sour enough to need the sugar cube. This has been one of the more fun "play in the kitchen" things I've done in a long time.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #15
Head Chef

Congratulations on your success with the homemade vinegars. I too ( as a result of this thread) gave it a try with my 6 gallons of homemade kiwi wine I have in the cellar. I bought the Braggs apple cider vinegar and mixed equal amounts of kiwi wine in a wide mouthed glass jar covered with cheese cloth secured with a rubber band.

I placed it in a dark warm room ( boiler room) which consistently stays at about 75 - 80 degrees. I shook it every few days, then forgot about it for a week. So now, its about 2 weeks old, I just went down stairs to check, and it has developed a mother and smells very vinegary. Haven't given it a taste test yet, but Im looking forward too it. It has to taste better than the crappy kiwi wine I made.

Once I am satisfied with the taste, how do I store the homemade vinegar?

Does it need to be refrigerated? If so, how long will it last in the fridge?

Can I flavor it with rosemary or some other herb/ spice? If so, how should that be stored ?

If it doesn't need to be refrigerated, can I just cork it up in a bottle, as I did with the wine ?

Thanks,

Larry
Old 09-02-2014, 11:49 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

You either have to store it in the fridge or pasteurize it and can it, then, once opened, it should be stored in the fridge. I looked that up, but haven't gotten there, yet. You can let it age for up to 5-6 months. I'm hoping that crappy beet wine turns into good vinegar! I eventually want to make maple syrup vinegar from some not great maple syrup from the year following the drought in Minnesota. That recipe involves dark rum (200 grams to 950 of maple syrup--I'd have to dig out the recipe). Although the syrup isn't grade A, I don't want to waste it.

I didn't shake any of mine--I totally have ignored them. It is time for me to deal with them, but first I'm dealing with corn, etc.

I like different vinegars, but they are so hard to find here (and if found, can be quite spendy), so I thought I'd give this a whirl. It is way too much fun.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:56 PM   #17
Head Chef

I hear ya, the instructions I followed ( or at least tried to follow) called for giving it a little shake every few days. Ive been away quite a bit the past 2 weeks and forgot about it. today was the first time I went to check on it in 2 weeks, and when I saw the mother I was excited. Then gave it the sniff test, and definitely strong vinegar scent. My kiwi wine is ok to cook with, but Im sure Ill use it more once converted to vinegar, And yes, this time of year, my mind is more focussed on the garden ( harvesting, planting fall crops) so the vinegar takes a back seat.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Finally got around to decanting more of the vinegars today. The roasted-dehydrated-fresh strawberry vinegar is FANTASTIC. TL, the cherry-black pepper vinegar worked, the blueberry vinegar is amazing, as is the grapefruit vinegar. I've got so many vinegars to play with! I'm going to be making my own "gourmet" vinegars from now on. So easy, and the results are amazing. I started dried tomato with white wine vinegar and a bottle of cranberry with white wine today...
Old 10-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Finally got around to decanting more of the vinegars today. The roasted-dehydrated-fresh strawberry vinegar is FANTASTIC. TL, the cherry-black pepper vinegar worked, the blueberry vinegar is amazing, as is the grapefruit vinegar. I've got so many vinegars to play with! I'm going to be making my own "gourmet" vinegars from now on. So easy, and the results are amazing. I started dried tomato with white wine vinegar and a bottle of cranberry with white wine today...
Sounds like you can think of a fancy bottle with a ribbon and a titled label on the front, and you have Christmas gifts for the making. Even if only to give to your customers in appreciation for their being a faithful customer.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:55 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

This is not homemade vinegar, but I have absolutely fallen in love with dark chocolate white balsamic vinegar...on grilled asparagus, on spinach-strawberry-roasted sesame salad...even on chocolate ice cream...made into a glaze with a few drops of birch syrup...oh, love this stuff.

Tags
homemade, vinegar, wine; cider vinegar