"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 06-27-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Homemade vinegar experts

I have spent part of this week researching how to turn wine into vinegar. I currently have these on the go (they use cider apple vinegar with mother, wine, fruit--ratio is 1 c wine to 3 T to vinegar with mother). I have cherry, pomegranate--both of these are with white wine; raspberry (this is with raspberry wine and cider vinegar); beet wine (this is with cider vinegar (6T), and 2 c beet wine. Does anyone have any ratios re: how to turn wine into vinegar they'd like to share? I am going to start a few more batches tomorrow--including grapefruit vinegar and roasted strawberries.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:17 AM   #2
Head Chef

I once tried to make vinegar from homemade wine with no success.
I did my research, and failed miserably.

Years ago, I picked over 800 kiwis of the vine in my backyard
Made pies, jam and anything else i could think of, and still was left with over 400 kiwis, so I made homemade kiwi wine.

Not really someone who drinks alcohol, and the fact that it tasted like crappy wine ( at best), I figured, why not try and make vinegar out of it.

One way I saw online, was to leave a bottle of wine open in a warm place and over time it will convert.

So I took one (out of my 48) bottles of wine, brought it into the boiler room, and left it uncovered. Tasted it from time to time, but no conversion in site.

I had forgotten about it, an one day we needed to get our boiler serviced, and sure enough, the guy who came to service the boiler probably thought I was a closet drunk, who went of and binged in the basement boiler room off of homemade moonshine.

Anyway, I would also love to convert my wine to vinegar, as I would have much more use out of it.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
Wine Guy

I certainly don't consider myself an expert on homemade vinegar, but I did once make a wonderful batch of it unintentionally.

As some of you may know, I'm a home winemaker. At any given time, I have 100-150 gallons on the go in my cellar. The vast majority of it turns out great, but there are nevertheless the occasional.... well... mishaps.

Back in 2006 I made a batch of Zinfandel that, for whatever reason, I wasn't totally thrilled with. It was drinkable, but that's about the best that could be said for it. It was thin and didn't have a lot of body and color. So I set the 3-gallon carboy under my workbench with the intention of dealing with it later (the winemaker's equivalent of sweeping things under the rug).

The container had a water-filled airlock on the top. At some point, I'm assuming months later, the water evaporated from the airlock, leaving the wine inside exposed to air, although the airlock cap continued to keep out insects and other nasties.

It must have been several months later that, while cleaning up and reorganizing, I discovered the neglected carboy with the empty airlock. It had a waxy layer of mycoderma (vinegar) bacteria growing on the surface of the wine, which, in retrospect, probably helped protect it from total oxidation. My first thought was that maybe this was still somehow salvageable. I instinctively took the top off and had a whiff. Vinegar. Argh.

I almost dumped it out, but after making a couple of calls and being reassured by a professional winemaker acquaintance that it was indeed safe, I tasted a sample. It was fantastic. The best red wine vinegar I've ever tasted - much more concentrated, complex, and smoother than most commercial products. So I strained it and cold stabilized in the garage over the winter to let any excess tartaric acid settle out. The next spring I ran it through my filtering setup and packaged it up in some nice dessert-style wine bottles. I ended up with 30 375ml bottles.

In addition to the dozen or so bottles we went through ourselves, I also gave quite a bit of it away to friends and family. Everyone really enjoyed it and asked when I would be making it again. Up to this point, I had only told a few people that it was an accident.

Now that it's gone, I wish that I had saved some of that vinegar to make more. The stuff I buy at the store now just doesn't hold a candle to it.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Steve--if you can get mother at your wine-making supply store, you can make more vinegar. I have been adding 3T raw apple cider vinegar with mother in it (Braggs) to 1 c wine, muddled fruit. So far, it seems to be working. I will report back mid-August (it has to sit for 6 weeks in the dark--I am using mason jars with cheesecloth instead of the lid but using the ring to hold the cheesecloth in place). This is not infused vinegar because I am starting with wine, not vinegar.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:30 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Done! I have the following jars of vinegar ripening in the dark corner of a cupboard:
raspberry
roasted strawberry
pomegranate
date (used sherry for that one)
cherry
grapefruit
red wine
roasted rhubarb

Can't wait for the middle of August when I can taste them! And, once the tomatoes start to overwhelm me, I'm going to do a sun-dried tomato white wine vinegar. The DH is housing three apple presses for a client, so will be trying to make apple cider vinegar during apple season. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:58 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm giving the cherry vinegar a thumb's up!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

My mother had a cruet of vinegar that had the largest Mother you could want. She had that up until the day she died. I have often wondered where she got it or how did she make it happen. I doubt very much that she bought it.

So how do you make a Mother for vinegar?
Old 07-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Not sure, Addie, but I have a white wine vinegar with Mother and the beet wine seems to be making mother as well...but one can buy mother (odd, one can buy a mother...) at wine and beer making supply stores.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
All my organic apple cider has or develops mother. In fact, I should look for a bottle that doesn't have it. It's a nuisance to have to filter it, so I can use the vinegar.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
All my organic apple cider has or develops mother. In fact, I should look for a bottle that doesn't have it. It's a nuisance to have to filter it, so I can use the vinegar.

I wonder if the pasteurization process destroys the vinegar's ability to make its own Mother. We used to be able to buy pure pressed apple juice made from the apples that just came in from the orchard. Then someone got sick and now it is a rule made by the State Dept. of Health that all apple juice or cider has to be pasteurized. My sister and I used to go to a farm on the North Shore several times during the summer and buy bottles of it just as it was being pressed. They couldn't keep it on the shelves. Of course we had to get a cup of hot cocoa with a cider doughnut!

Tags
homemade, vinegar, wine; cider vinegar