Hot Pepper Jelly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
I found a recipe for hot pepper jelly that I thought I would try. Some years back I bought some at a farmer's market in PA. It was wonderful. I just got back from the store with the ingredients and DAH I didn't see the pectin part on the recipe. Truth is I didn't really want a jelly but more of a relish. I was wondering if I should still go ahead and make it minus the pectin.

Here is the recipe:

8 large red peppers
2 small serrano peppers
2 medium cloves of garlic
6 cups sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 T lime juice

The instructions are to chop the peppers and pulse in a blender. Then boil with remaining ingredients for 5 minutes. Proceed to canning steps.

I don't plan to can this. In fact I am cutting the recipe in half. I hoped to use it for my cookout on the 4th.

I make pepper jelly all the time.

What you will have will be incredibly sweet. If you want a relish, cut way down on the sugar. If you are making jelly you can't cut down on the sugar, as it will inhibit the action of the pectin and you'll end up with runny jelly. But you can if you aren't actually making jelly.

2 seranno peppers is not very much. Personally, I'd use a boatload more.

Make it as a relish. I would also cut way down on the sugar (1/4 cup) and add more peppers, maybe even a couple of jalapenoes, and a little bit of cilantro or parsley.

I make pepper jelly all the time.

What you will have will be incredibly sweet. If you want a relish, cut way down on the sugar. If you are making jelly you can't cut down on the sugar, as it will inhibit the action of the pectin and you'll end up with runny jelly. But you can if you aren't actually making jelly.

2 seranno peppers is not very much. Personally, I'd use a boatload more.

Jennyema, is there any chance of sharing your recipe for pepper jelly?

Jenny gave me that recipe and I followed her changes as well. Let me say that I LOVE this jelly (and so does my 3 year old daughter). Whenever we make her chicken fingers she loves to dip them in the jelly. It has such a great flavor with a nice big punch of heat.

Thanks for the responses. I thought that the recipe called for a lot of sugar for what I was going to end up doing.

I love pepper jelly, we make it every year and can it. Love it as a chicken dip or topping cream cheese on a cracker. Yum!

This is the one I use: PepperFool.com Jam / Jelly Recipes...Habanero Jelly

I used red bell peppers, not orange and usually use about 15-20 habs. I remove seeds, pith and stems from most of them, but usually add seeds, etc from one or 2.

I think will try your recipe. Sounds great. I love pepper jelly on cheese, mixed with mayo on a chicken sandwich or as a glaze. This time looks like am making pepper relish!

No problem.

"Tons of chiles" is why I found it in the first place. This year not so much, but I still have a freezer full from last year.

I once had lemon peppers that I used on a ham for glaze and I always thought it would make a yummy jelly. This year I am growing the Lemon Peppers (I think called lemondrop peppers) and I will try this TNT recipe you are all raving over! Thanks for the tips everyone.

Well I made the recipe that I posted. Had to change it up to be more of a condiment. It came out good but should have used more of the hot peppers. I used 1/2 sugar and 3/4 vinegar. All the rest the same for 1/2 batch.

Now my next question. I didn't can it. I put it in the fridge. How long can I expect this to last?

This is the one I use: PepperFool.com Jam / Jelly Recipes...Habanero Jelly

I used red bell peppers, not orange and usually use about 15-20 habs. I remove seeds, pith and stems from most of them, but usually add seeds, etc from one or 2.

I picked up a jar of this jelly so I have something to compare the recipe to. The one I bought has great flavor. A tad too sweet and a could use a little more heat for my tastes. Tastes great on pork.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom